ADVERTISEMENT

official Longhorns vs Turtles thread (ugly uniforms)

Lost the best DL, LB, CB, and S from that last season D plus lost Gary Johnson for most of game and wheeler half game.

The same one we got a safety on? The same one that was thwarted multiple times.

I mean ****, offensive plays get yards sometimes.

You and I both know they got the best of us on those sweeps. It took us midway through the 2nd quarter before adjustments were made. Up until then it was 5 yards a pop. Hell, we were biting so hard on it they hit us with the fake and scored on that too.

You and I both know they got the best of us on those sweeps. It took us midway through the 2nd quarter before adjustments were made. Up until then it was 5 yards a pop. Hell, we were biting so hard on it they hit us with the fake and scored on that too.

They ran it out of multiple sets with multiple motions...it was a terrific scheme by Canada. It is a staple of their offense. Acting like no adjustment was made until the 2nd quarter is a bad thing is lunacy.

Is nobody else wondering what would have been with Heard? I honestly think Herman's biggest mistake to date is not keeping him at QB.

I know he struggled in 2016, but goddamn, could an experienced Heard have been better than a freshman Sam last year? Surely he could, and at least he'd have made bigger plays with his feet.

Now this year, Jerrod would be an experienced senior. Surely to god you could've trained him well enough by now to be better than Sam. then you have Sam learning for two years, and who knows, maybe he doesn't look completely lost next year?

I just don't get it. Jerrod should still be QB.

EDIT: on a positive note, was anybody else FINALLY not nervous on extra point attempts? I think we finally have a kicker.

Is nobody else wondering what would have been with Heard? I honestly think Herman's biggest mistake to date is not keeping him at QB.

I know he struggled in 2016, but goddamn, could an experienced Heard have been better than a freshman Sam last year? Surely he could, and at least he'd have made bigger plays with his feet.

Now this year, Jerrod would be an experienced senior. Surely to god you could've trained him well enough by now to be better than Sam. then you have Sam learning for two years, and who knows, maybe he doesn't look completely lost next year?

EDIT: on a positive note, was anybody else FINALLY not nervous on extra point attempts? I think we finally have a kicker.

He turned Greg Ward until a pretty good college QB. I’ve always wondered what could’ve been with Heard.

Reactions: Metcalf #2

Scuttle butt is that Heard can't read a D. Like.......at all.

Scuttle butt is that Heard can't read a D. Like.......at all.

Neither can Sam, and Hesrd is a far superior runner.

And btw that couldn't be taught? In two years? Goddamn I could teach my sister to read defenses in two years. It's really not rocket science.

I had to look it up because I didn’t think Heard was #1. Watson was 1, Will Grier was actually 2 and Heard was #4

JT was the year before. That’s right.

Still though, not sure your point. 15/20 in that year aren’t worth a shit

My point is Heard was the number 1 qb coming out of high school for a reason and now look he is just another player on the field now....while Watson is in the second year of his NFL career and starting....almost seems like we buried his career

Neither can Sam, and Hesrd is a far superior runner.

And btw that couldn't be taught? In two years? Goddamn I could teach my sister to read defenses in two years. It's really not rocket science.
Man, I know college coaches that can't read a defense right every time. There are times when I look at DBs and think "well...... it looks like they are trying to be in a cover two but they might be in quarters just trying to hide that it's cover two.... noooooopppppeee...... ".

It happens. Which is why when you get a qb that read the D, you hang onto him. (colt)

Reactions: mm42 and Metcalf #2
Man, I know college coaches that can't read a defense right every time. There are times when I look at DBs and think "well...... it looks like they are trying to be in a cover two but they might be in quarters just trying to hide that it's cover two.... noooooopppppeee...... ".

It happens. Which is why when you get a qb that read the D, you hang onto him. (colt)

Yeah it's a guessing game, and yeah sometimes you guess wrong. it happens, but it's not that hard to get the basics. "Ok that could turn into double coverage, I'm going to have to be ready to look to my 2nd and third options quick." "Looks like that LB is gonna blitz, if he does I know my slot will see it and I'll hit him right where the LB was." Stuff like that shouldn't be hard, but I guess it is. Haven't seen it done right consistently since Colt.

Reactions: cml7374
OK. Fast forward 3 years from now. You and I both know he won’t have won jack squat at your school. But $75M and top coach! Lulz.
Year 3 he should be winning. I don’t like our quarterbacks at all. Until 1 of those arrive it could be more. However, he is in charge of getting one of those too.

Pretty weak after your “you hired a mediocre coach and we got a top one” bravado. At least we’ll have a break from you do nothing aggys flapping your gums finally.
Not weak, realistic. Year 1..week 2. Number 2 team in the country. Herman, year 2..still early no doubt and time to turn it around, but still soft as hell. No excuse for Maryland 2 years in a row..none.

Why do you think it has to happen "fast"?

It's absolute insanity to give up on a coach after a season + one game. Give him some time. Let him get a decent QB for Christ's sake.

The tears of the longhorn faithful are sweet, but you guys need to settle down a little. Pushing the panic button one game into the season is bad form. I expected a little better from you.
I agree with you on giving him time but it’s the way Texas has played would have me concerned. They are soft as hell. They should be able to line up and punch it down ANYONES throat. Far more talent than anyone they will play except OU. Defense has been gashed and blown off the ball. If Herman can’t teach toughness he won’t win no matter who the quarterback is.

I agree with you on giving him time but it’s the way Texas has played would have me concerned. They are soft as hell. They should be able to line up and punch it down ANYONES throat. Far more talent than anyone they will play except OU. Defense has been gashed and blown off the ball. If Herman can’t teach toughness he won’t win no matter who the quarterback is.

They weren’t blown off the ball. DL played well.

They weren’t blown off the ball. DL played well.[/QUOTE
Disagree...Texas only had 1 sack and got no pressure on the quarterback. Maryland was able to run effectively on Texas which they shouldn’t have with the difference in talent level. Again, if this performance was against OU, it would have been ok. We are talking about Maryland.

Posters on this thread are focused on offensive issues...it is the QB...it is the OL....it is the play calling

Posters on this board are pretty smart. I don't recall anybody blaming the OL, but, if true, then in the words of Meatloaf, "Two out of Three Ain't Bad". The D didn't lose the game-offensive turnovers did.

Metcalf - You have a valid point about Heard. I think they should have kept him at QB but he lost his luster as the new shiney toy came in town. He do give the boys a legitimate option but he decision making was poor BUT that could have been worked on with practice and time. Sam has a tendency to play wild especially towards the end of the game.
POINTS OF INTEREST
1) OL played better than last year
2) RB - Let Ingram be the focus back followed by the CAL transfer
3) WR/TE - Dooovaney played great as with the two other monster receivers. Need more plays for the TE.
4) DE/DT - need more pressure on the qb. I think we only had like 3 pressures but I could be wrong. Nobody wins a game with only 5 or under pressures on a qb.
5) LB - Wheeler hurt but Johnson was the shot in the back. We definitely need him in at all times
6) DB - Davis looked terrible. BJ and Sterns are elite kids. I'm very excited about them.
7) COACHES - Herman wasn't prepared for Maryland. He should have given Shane a shot towards the end of the game. Todd didn't do a great job as well.
The drop INT was crucial. Make that and the boys win

Reactions: Metcalf #2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT