ADVERTISEMENT

Official Texas vs Ksu thread

Now let's get ready for the horn thugs.

They didn't go for the qb today they merely took out TT's best receiver.

That's the 5th time in the last 6 game that's happened. 2 of the games the player was ejected.

If they do it against us something has to be done about it.

Last edited:
Well kids-- we were 29 yards short of where I said we'd need to be (I actually said we'd need to run for around/about 300 yds to win) but before I start breaking my arm to pat myself on the back-- let's figure out why I said what I said.

Let's look at why. We controlled the first half BECAUSE we could effectively RUN the football. What did we have..... 209 by half.

Which means we only had 60 or so in the 2nd half?

Think about that, gents. Their D was tired. We'd gashed them for over 200 yards rushing in the first half. Yet we managed only 60-ish in the 2nd?

Why?

Running the football is supposed to energize your OLine and wear down the D.

So why couldn't we run the ball against a tired D that we dominated at the LOS in the 1st half?
Because they knew what play was coming. We bunched everyone up and ran into a loaded box. The defense was run blitzing.

Reactions: westx
And for the love of God, can we at least TRY running Bijan to the wide side of the field?
We like that fvcking short side, don't we? You gotta have WRs that can block if you want to run to the wide side.

Yes... they are by far the best 2 blockers. Problem is, you start lining them up on the wide side and running to them, Defenses are going to pick up on that quickly.
So you throw to Jwhit on that side or run a reverse go red just to keep them honest.

Exactly. Was gonna add that but I was trying to get a 4 year old dressed 😂.

It’s a one time thing. I’m sure there is some kind of RPO Sark can draw up with it too.
I wouldn’t have minded seeing this against those nasty purples:

Reactions: weevilcatch
Game is over, but my thoughts:

1. The more the Horns let teams get back into games, the more likely it is to happen again in the future. It's not only in the minds of our players, but our opponents expect it, too.

Football is about (momentum, guts and) faith. By letting teams back into games, we're letting them have faith, even when they're 21+ points behind.

Consider that 7 yard run play where Bijan was slow to get up, and looked hurt. He stayed in. If he leaves the field at that point, he's communicating to future opponents that he'll leave the game easily. Bad idea.

Football is about guts, despite the pain and instinct telling you your body wants/needs to quit. And Bijan showed plenty of guts after that play.

2. About the long run by Bijan where the KSU defender caught up to him and tripped him up on the 5 or so...

That defender was blocked by Kelvin Banks (i think it was him) downfield. If Banks just does a Xavier-type "non-block" and intercedes a bit, then Bijan probably scores on that play. Why? Because Kelvin's block gave the DB momentum towards the end zone. He couldn't have caught Bijan without the block, I think.

3. Ok. Given that the TD didn't happen in the above play, Texas goes nowhere and ends up scoring a FG.

Anyone else frustrated with the play calling there? We keep running to right side and maybe up the middle once or twice. All the big runs were to the left. You're already on the right hash. Why run right again on 3rd down?

4. I'm so sick of seeing our KO return front line take off running and even turn their backs, as the ball is kicked. They should see the kick, be ready to respond and then turn. We're just inviting onsides! The middle two guys are doing fine, but onsides can go anywhere. Risk of onsides vs. reward of getting back quick and setting up blocks, considering low likelihoods of a run-back and of a block in the back, or of a medium kick that is fumbled... Clearly, early opponents saw something that Jeff Banks wasn't seeing or coaching. But who am I to question? Maybe I know little here, since there haven't been onsides kicks against the Horns recently. Still, it's concerning...

5. *Really* good to see the defense end the game with the strip. We need more opportunism in burnt orange, and perfect ball-handling on offense to get it in the minds of opponents that they have zero chance.
--
Back to #1. I'm not sure what that answer is here on the second half collapses. If Gary Patterson doesn't seem to know, then who are we to say? Is it a failure to have decent #2's at Edge, LB, etc? A failure of will? Poor coaching at halftime? Or is it a multiple game momentum thing, both in Longhorn minds *and* in the minds of opponents?

I doubt it's poor conditioning, but I do see #1’s still in the game, sucking wind.

Many schools would use fake injuries to slow the game down in the 4th Q, but Longhorns are too classy for that garbage.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT