ADVERTISEMENT

OK Clob....you are now on the clock

Ok, here goes:

There's a vibe. With Charlie there was no vibe. No sense of urgency. That little "it" factor I've talked about with you fellas so many times in the past---- there's that vibe. Charlie touted himself a disciplinarian, but also a players coach. But instead of being "daddy", he was more like big brother. Herman has the daddy vibe.....but he's also a big kid at heart.......and players are responding to it. He's loud, he's brash, he's exciting to watch and whatever he has---- most of the team has become infected by it. It's fun to watch. You can tell the difference between players doing work that isn't fun, and players doing work that IS fun. These guys are having fun.

Offense: we are no where near where we need to be. This is due to injuries and personell. We have no TE. Just go ahead and deal with that. Our back ups will be zero help with run blocking. They get rag dolled by the DE on almost every play. Their routes aren't pretty and there's not much speed. Pretty much useless until broken foot boy returns sometime around OU weekend.
RB- we are too injured to make a determination. This area is cause for great concern. You have to be able to run the football and be two dimensional.

QB- It's Boo or bust. He's added some weight, appears to be a little stronger, but still doesn't have that zip on all his passes that you'd like to see. The deep out to the wide side is still iffy. Sometimes he can rock and fire and it's on target....sometimes it's literally a toss up. Herman's offense is designed to spread you out and exploit gaps in your defense in the middle of the field. If we can't complete those out routes regularly, the D won't spread.
Wrs- Burt........................the only reason I mention him is because, well, he gets yelled at a lot. The guy us really talented he just can't get it together. He's too inconsistent. One play you go, "would look at how he planted and drove through that break", the next you're like "wtf was he thinking, he was in man coverage and he stopped?". Over all there is talent on the field but nobody really just jumps out at you.

Oline- from the center down left, we are more than good. The right guard and tackle...not so much. 55 is a 300 lb ballerina in cleats. He's a legit stud. First rounder. Has everything he needs to play 12 years on Sunday. Left guard isn't as talented, but is a hustler. Great leg drive, blocks to the echo of the whistle, just plain out works ppl. He's a true hard hat and lunch pale guy. Look for us to be running left A LOT this year.
Over all, we've got some holes. With no rbs that are Saturday ready yet, it's tough to gauge how good we are.....but we lack depth. I look for lots of short, easy routes to be thrown early to set up the running game. We won't be blowing ppl out on the scoreboard early on. But that's ok because--

Defense- we aren't half bad. 90 has learned how to keep his head down and arse up on his pass rush and is moving along swimmingly. I look for him to push the double digits in sacks this year. 55 and 90 are making each other better, and it shows. At DT we are capable. Ford is drawing double teams and thats always a good sign. We won't set any sack records, but we are solid up front....and that's a welcome change.
Lbs, arguably our most talented spot. Malik is still a mystery to me. The guy is carved out of granite, he needs to start playing every snap like that. 44 is a mad man in need of a haircut. He plays with wild, reckless abandon and will draw a few PF penalties this year---- book it. He plays with a chip and some OL guy with a bad attitude will goad him into an altercation at some point. We drop into our coverages much more fluidly than before and communication is crisp and everyone seems to be on the same page. There's a little problem with gap responsibility in certain coverages, I was just unable to identify exactly what those coverages were.... on film it's much easier than in person, obviously.
But I think this will be ironed out quickly..... repetition, repetition, repetition.

Dbs- I'm now 100% convinced that these last 4 years, the communication problems, blown coverages and missed assignments were related to one person and one person only: GDDH. Gone is the back and forth chirping of the dbs. They shuttle in and out of the 2 deep and everyone appears to be on the same page. Very little confusion, very little pointing, very little chirping....they look like actual football players. The secondary was a welcome surprise for me and could end up being our most valuable unit on D.
K- you have one job.
P- same goes for you.

Overall, I must say I was impressed. We aren't going to be blowing ppl out or lighting up the scoreboard early, but that's ok because we should have a pretty decent defense. Let's be honest, being ranked #98 in D last year sucked, but these guys have a "chance" at finishing the year out at the bottom of the top 25 in overall defense. With some help from the offense, some rest and limited injuries, I see that as a real possibility. Prudence dictates that a team with a top 25 D should win some games. I'm still sceptical of the offense, but if we can land our D in the 25-30 range, you're looking at an 8-9 win regular season. If we falter on O you're looking at a 6-7 win season. The defense MUST stay healthy. It's crucial.

I will try and catch a couple of practices before game day but I make no promises.
Good stuff Clob! I'm thinking 9-10 wins this year if we can get some good-great defensive play.

Ruh, Roh------ no TE for the year............... that hurts

With all the depth we have at WR, I wonder why we haven't tried to bulk up LJ Humphrey and let him create some mismatches. No desire to block perhaps?

With all the depth we have at WR, I wonder why we haven't tried to bulk up LJ Humphrey and let him create some mismatches. No desire to block perhaps?
Some kids have a hard time putting on weight. Genetics.

TE by committee. Just need to not get to predictable. ie- every time cade brewer is in the game it's a pass (bc he can't block yet) or every time Moore is in the game it's a run.

Also from everything I've heard/read the coaches think they have a potentially elite TE in Reese Leiato (spell?) but he's going to suspended the first couple of games.

I'd have to get my guys to hack his...errr I mean, I'd have to meet the young lad first in order to tell you the o/u. But she certainly scored a 4 on my finger scale.

Meaning I'd cut off 4 of my fingers if God would let me shag her.

I'd have to get my guys to hack his...errr I mean, I'd have to meet the young lad first in order to tell you the o/u. But she certainly scored a 4 on my finger scale.

Meaning I'd cut off 4 of my fingers if God would let me shag her.
Now THIS is a new scale I haven't of heard yet. Love it though! clob I mean this is the best possible way...YOU are a manslut.

From those wedding pictures, I am assuming she looks better in person.

Ya never know, he might be packing around a 3rd leg. You can be a visual 3 on a scale to 10 but a tripod gives ya 5 extra points to the ladies.

We have no TE. Just go ahead and deal with that. Our back ups will be zero help with run blocking. They get rag dolled by the DE on almost every play. Their routes aren't pretty and there's not much speed. Pretty much useless until broken foot boy returns sometime around OU weekend.
Man, you were as right as you could be on the tight end. I am sure he will be busy in film room this week. A couple of notable plays: The first play of the game where we almost got a safety, he didn't touch anybody and could have helped with the LB that was given a free path to Buechele. Then, the John Burt touchdown "that wasn't"-Here the right tackle held, but, it was a grab to slow him up because he thought he was going to get help from the TE. If you see it, he had his back to the LT and didn't engage any block at all (This particular play was what TH said in "Rewind with TH"). I hope he I a quick learner and is more aware from here on out.

Man, you were as right as you could be on the tight end. I am sure he will be busy in film room this week. A couple of notable plays: The first play of the game where we almost got a safety, he didn't touch anybody and could have helped with the LB that was given a free path to Buechele. Then, the John Burt touchdown "that wasn't"-Here the right tackle held, but, it was a grab to slow him up because he thought he was going to get help from the TE. If you see it, he had his back to the LT and didn't engage any block at all (This particular play was what TH said in "Rewind with TH"). I hope he I a quick learner and is more aware from here on out.

They just need to slap a TE number on Nicholson and put Okafor in at RT. If we are going to ask our TE to pass protect, what different does it make.

They just need to slap a TE number on Nicholson and put Okafor in at RT. If we are going to ask our TE to pass protect, what different does it make.
I don't know which Olineman to do this with (whoever is the most athletic) but your idea is not bad....I know the defense has to account for a TE that can catch but if he is a liability ALL the other plays then what good is he? Good point.

I don't know which Olineman to do this with (whoever is the most athletic) but your idea is not bad....I know the defense has to account for a TE that can catch but if he is a liability ALL the other plays then what good is he? Good point.

Evidently, we have a TE that can run block named Kendall Moore. He must of gotten lost on the way from the locker room to the sidelines and missed the game last week.

Evidently, we have a TE that can run block named Kendall Moore. He must of gotten lost on the way from the locker room to the sidelines and missed the game last week.
I don't know where I was watching, but I did hear Herman say Kendall Moore would be on the field a lot more this week.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT