ADVERTISEMENT

Orange/White Game

Clob, it looked to me like the defense was showing Shane a lot more looks than Sam.

Did you see it that way or am I just seeing things that aren't there?
I wasn't able to tell through the tears.............

A few thoughts after the spring game:

-What a breath of fresh air to have a full QB room. Remember, last season was played with just two scholarship QB's one being a true soph. and the other a true freshman. The two new frosh. QB's both show a lot of promise. Rising might have the best arm on campus right now. TOS insiders say he has the talent to be a better version of Sam. Thompson is definitely a true running threat and may be able to develop into a true dual threat QB. This is easily the best QB room in terms of experience, talent, and depth since at least 2012 with Ash/McCoy/Brewer/Overstreet, and maybe even since 2009.

-I'ts hard to draw any conclusions on the OL and run game in any spring game but especially with that format. !st team offense split into two teams with only 8 scholarship OL having to play every snap for BOTH teams. In addition, you are missing Anderson, Hudson, and Grandy. I'll even add in J. Angilau because I think he may be physically ready to make the two-deep.

-The first five at WR are solid: CJ, LJ, Duvy, Heard, Burt. Add in athletic young depth: Pouncey, Curtis, Eagles, Woodard, Moore and I think you've got a good unit.

-Kobe Boyce can play

-Having Beck and Leitao at TE will be a nice upgrade to last season's OL

-Last year there were two areas so weak in depth that any injuries could derail the season: OL and QB. Of course, by the third game they were both in full on disaster mode: I think both units are in much better position to survive the injury bug, if it hits. However, the one unit on the team that I don't think is would be the LB unit. Herman/Orlando need to add talent and bodies to that group ASAP. Thank goodness Ayodele didn't flip to OU, AND enrolled early.

-Overall, I think the D has a chance to be plenty good enough despite the losses of Poona, Malik, Hill, and Elliot. On O, just by default these units should see marginal improvements at some level relative to last season: QB, OL, RB, TE. The only other unit, the WR's, have enough talent and depth to be fine and maybe a strength. Despite that, I still think there is just a fairly low ceiling for this offense right now. As of now there just isn't anyone special at QB or RB and that's behind an OL that is not at an elite level at this point.

A few thoughts after the spring game:

-What a breath of fresh air to have a full QB room. Remember, last season was played with just two scholarship QB's one being a true soph. and the other a true freshman. The two new frosh. QB's both show a lot of promise. Rising might have the best arm on campus right now. TOS insiders say he has the talent to be a better version of Sam. Thompson is definitely a true running threat and may be able to develop into a true dual threat QB. This is easily the best QB room in terms of experience, talent, and depth since at least 2012 with Ash/McCoy/Brewer/Overstreet, and maybe even since 2009.

-I'ts hard to draw any conclusions on the OL and run game in any spring game but especially with that format. !st team offense split into two teams with only 8 scholarship OL having to play every snap for BOTH teams. In addition, you are missing Anderson, Hudson, and Grandy. I'll even add in J. Angilau because I think he may be physically ready to make the two-deep.

-The first five at WR are solid: CJ, LJ, Duvy, Heard, Burt. Add in athletic young depth: Pouncey, Curtis, Eagles, Woodard, Moore and I think you've got a good unit.

-Kobe Boyce can play

-Having Beck and Leitao at TE will be a nice upgrade to last season's OL

-Last year there were two areas so weak in depth that any injuries could derail the season: OL and QB. Of course, by the third game they were both in full on disaster mode: I think both units are in much better position to survive the injury bug, if it hits. However, the one unit on the team that I don't think is would be the LB unit. Herman/Orlando need to add talent and bodies to that group ASAP. Thank goodness Ayodele didn't flip to OU, AND enrolled early.

-Overall, I think the D has a chance to be plenty good enough despite the losses of Poona, Malik, Hill, and Elliot. On O, just by default these units should see marginal improvements at some level relative to last season: QB, OL, RB, TE. The only other unit, the WR's, have enough talent and depth to be fine and maybe a strength. Despite that, I still think there is just a fairly low ceiling for this offense right now. As of now there just isn't anyone special at QB or RB and that's behind an OL that is not at an elite level at this point.

This. I would add that most teams are downgrading at QB so this year may be a sluggfest to the top. Even with our shortcomings, I don't see a team head and shoulders ahead of us. It will be a grind and every game will count. Injuries and depth could determine the conference champ.

Reactions: q1w2e3
watched it live and then watched it again today, we are in deep sh!t on offense. we cant block anyone.

watched it live and then watched it again today, we are in deep sh!t on offense. we cant block anyone.
It's going to be tough........... it kills me that we haven't been able to develop our big boy talent.

It's going to be tough........... it kills me that we haven't been able to develop our big boy talent.
it cant be player talent can it? i mean we have had 1 good tackle in how long has it been? its got to be coaching right?

Calm down guys. Our front seven is nasty, and will make a lot of lines look bad this year. Yeah we will be led by our D again. So what. Our offense will be at least slightly improved. If it was slightly better last year, we win 10 games.

Thanks @Metcalf #2, after reading your post, I was able to hang up on the Crisis Call line....

Calm down guys. Our front seven is nasty, and will make a lot of lines look bad this year. Yeah we will be led by our D again. So what. Our offense will be at least slightly improved. If it was slightly better last year, we win 10 games.
Cuero, love you bro but I'll tell you this--- our secondary will be nails-- our front seven has LOTS to prove.

Mark my words.

it cant be player talent can it? i mean we have had 1 good tackle in how long has it been? its got to be coaching right?

One of Mack Brown's first comments during the spring game commentary was that these players have had 27 different assistant coaches. There are current players who have been through three head coaches and at least 27 assistant coaches. So....there is that.

Then, you can go back and look at OL recruiting and the roster and see massive amounts of attrition and injury in addition to nothing special whatsoever as far as recruiting in the first place. The one position that takes years of development and constancy has none, on top of average talent.

Cuero, love you bro but I'll tell you this--- our secondary will be nails-- our front seven has LOTS to prove.

Mark my words.

Ok let me correct myself a little bit. Our edge rushers and LBs are nasty, and it was those guys giving our line fits. DT is the question mark, but I think they end up at least decent. Help is on the way on the inside too.

i'm proud of you guys. other than clob (who is pretty spot-on usually, unfortunately) i don't see any sky-is-falling posts.

Clob pretty much told us what our team was going to look like last year before the season started.

I really wish he was a little more optimistic about the upcoming season, but based on his call last year I am preparing myself for the upcoming season.

It's going to be a grind but expecting anything other than a grind will only lead to disappointment. I expect the tackle from Rice will be a big lift.

Reactions: westx
I see the O/U being 8 wins. Avoid injuries on the OL and 9, maybe 10 is possible. Injury bug hits and we're looking at 6-7....just like last year.

There just is not depth on either line right now. And that, as everyone knows, is what'll make or break you.

It's going to be a grind but expecting anything other than a grind will only lead to disappointment. I expect the tackle from Rice will be a big lift.
It will be a grind. And yes, the rice tackle will help us.

Huge strides can be made over the summer though. Get in the weight room and out onto the practice field and improvement will happen. Spend the summer partying at the beach and chasing skirts, and we will see another 6-6 season.

I don't imply that I am even in the same universe of football knowledge that our coaches are, but, our offense has massive weapons and it will defy logic if we can't find a way to get these guys the ball. We can't be so impatient. If we get a few 3 and outs, then so be it. It won't be any uglier than the 3 and outs we have had the last few seasons. If they can resist the temptation to run our QB's, but instead hand or pass the ball to the superior, stronger and faster athletes, we will move the ball. Keep feeding them and their athleticism and testosterone will find a way.
1. Daniel Young is a very impressive running back to me (not sure why more aren't high on him). Toneil Carter just adds speed and slashing versatility. If they can block and are decent at catching the ball out of the backfield, things will be good. I didn't mention Porter for a reason.

2. We have tall solid receivers that can catch the ball and out muscle the defenders with LJH and Colin Johnson.

3. If the OL doesn't pan out and the defenses load the box, we have speedsters in Duverney and Burt.

4. We have good (not great), but good tight ends in Beck and Brewer. (Not sure on Leitao)

JMHO

Back away from the ledges.....its a "spring" game.

It's a preview of this season to come, he won't be able to change all this right away, gonna take a few months if any.. looks like a USA conference FB team from looking at it

Hook'em

Last edited:
With the abundance of new qb's in the conference, our D should be able to dictate some play. If we can mildly improve on O and protect the ball, 7-5 should be the floor.

"It's a preview of this season to come, he won't be able to change all this right away, gonna take a few months if any.. looks like a USA conference FB team from looking at it"

To be honest Flourbluff it didnt matter what happened there was gonna be backlash from a "spring" game.

Offense scores 50.......our offense is great and our defense is horrible.

Offense scores 10 or less then our defense is great and our offense is crap.

Offense scores 20-26 our defense and offense are horrendous.

I will remain calm and let the season play itself out.

I didn’t think the QBs looked too bad. They both made some really good throws and both missed a few. No interceptions.

The receivers looked good.

I thought the defense as a whole was solid. No missed tackles and they were generally in the right spots.

The o line looked bad at times but they were playing both ways and didn’t really have the depth to have two separate units, so some guys had to play in spots they were not used to.

I saw more than one TE. That’s good.

The RBs didn’t show much, but they didn’t get many opportunities. You could tell the coaches didn’t want to run the ball much. Makes sense when you are thin at RB and O line. It would have been far worse for someone to get injured in a spring game just to try and please some fans.

It looked like the play calling was conservative to reduce the risk of injury. I’m fine with that.

also, i didn't realize this until i watched about 3 minutes of the pre-game last night, but a lot of guys didn't play. obviously, calvin anderson but also gary johnson, keontay ingram, caden stearns... seems like they mentioned another lineman. i'm a kool-aid drinker-- i just prefer to be optimistic (except about shaka-- that dude SUCKS!). i think we'll be pretty good. defense will be great again. offense should be better-- i really like humphrey, and the line should show marked improvement. the conference is replacing a lot of qb's. i just like our chances of moving back up a bit.

It will be a grind. And yes, the rice tackle will help us.
Has anyone watched tape on the OT from Rice? I have heard he is a first round talent and also that he is an average Power 5 type tackle. I have no clue. Is he a stud or a solid guy who might start and be decent? I would assume somewhere in between, but wonder if anyone actually knows what he is.
He was an honorable mention all conference guy the last couple years, but those are often pretty political and OL is the hardest to judge in my book for the casual fan.

Last edited:
Has anyone watched tape on the OT from Rice? I have heard he is a first round talent and also that he is an average Power 5 type tackle. I have no clue. Is he a stud or a solid guy who might start and be decent? I would assume somewhere in between, but wonder if anyone actually knows what he is.
He was an honorable mention all conference guy the last couple years, but those are often pretty political and OL is the hardest to judge in my book for the casual fan.
Draft grade was out of the non-P5 conferences he was the 5th or 6th highest graded tackle. May have been a late round guy, but most likely went undrafted but landed at a spot as a free agent. With a good year in a P5 conference odds are he'll be draftable and a higher round guy depending on how good he is this year, combine, etc...

Reactions: mm42 and q1w2e3
Draft grade was out of the non-P5 conferences he was the 5th or 6th highest graded tackle. May have been a late round guy, but most likely went undrafted but landed at a spot as a free agent. With a good year in a P5 conference odds are he'll be draftable and a higher round guy depending on how good he is this year, combine, etc...
Thanks for the info

ADVERTISEMENT