ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Any Texas coast fishermen up in here?

Belldozer1

Aug 20, 2014
Just curious how many of you own boats and fish the Texas coast. I just recently bought a bay boat from Austin Boats & Motors and they treated me right. Pretty straightforward guys to deal with. Looking forward to the upcoming fall weather for football and some good fishing.

Just curious how many of you own boats and fish the Texas coast. I just recently bought a bay boat from Austin Boats & Motors and they treated me right. Pretty straightforward guys to deal with. Looking forward to the upcoming fall weather for football and some good fishing.
Welcome to the money pit!

Hook'em

Reactions: Belldozer1
Welcome to the money pit!

Hook'em
Yeah no joke FB. Those boats have gotten ridiculous. As you know, the engines alone are $15,000-$20,000. I dealt with a lot of those dealers down by you, Gulf Coat Marine, Ronnies Marine, Chris's Marine but Austin boats was willing to deal a little bit more in the end. Kind of hard to find a good bay boat that's somewhat family friendly.

Reactions: FlourBluffHorn
Don't own a boat but I go fish Port O'Connor and Baffin Bay several times a year, my buddy is Orvis endorsed guide and he is the real deal. Expensive if I'm ever not on the friends discount aka hey lets go get some lines wet to prep for my guided trip in a few days

I will give a bit of free common sense advise here regarding buying a used boat these days:
As I was considering buying this bay boat, I quickly realized that to get what I wanted on a new, good boat, that I was in the $55,000-$60-000 range. So just for grins, I started entertaining the idea of a good used boat with under 100 hours on the motor.

Well, I found a couple slightly used boats that I liked and narrowed it down to one that is being offered on boat trader right now. The boat is advertised as very good condition with less than 100 hours on the motor. I call the guy and we come to an agreement in principal contingent upon everything checking out. The boat did not have an hour meter so I told him that I was going to have a survey done on the boat and get the actual engine hours and engine diagnostics from the motor. Even if the boat had an hour meter, don't trust it, they can be manipulated, get the survey done to be sure.

So, I paid a reputable marine surveyor to check it out and let me say it was perhaps the wisest $250 I've spent. The engine actually had 289 hours on it and had over heated 57 times. The surveyor told me it was probably overheated that many times because the person driving the boat didn't know what he was doing and was probably running the boat with the jack plate up all the time not allowing the boat motor impeller enough water to cool itself.

Now the boat motor had an extended warranty until 2018 but does anyone think Suzuki would be doing the repair work for free after all that abuse? Nope. So I potentially would have bought the used boat for $35,000 and then probably replacing a $15,000 motor out of pocket soon after. So, that little deal left a bad taste in my mouth and I bought a new one. There are plenty of good used boats out there but do your homework especially on these high priced engines. End of story.

Last edited:
Grew up on the coast.... the two best days of a bay boaters life are the day he buys the boat and the day he sells it.

Consider this instead- it's a 4 hour drive from Austin to Rockport (yuck) whilst hauling your boat. It's going to cost you $100 bucks each way in gas. ($200)
It's going to cost you another $100 minimum in gas for the boat. I'm not even going to add in license, insurance etc on the boat.
Boat is $35k. Hotel in Rockport is 100 bucks a night. So if you go every month one weekend a month for 5 years that's $6000 per year times 5 years that's $30,000.
So boat = $35,000
Travel, rooms = $30,000
= $65,000 over 5 years MINIMUM.

Consider this-

Flight from Austin to Puerto Vallarta or Mazatlan is 2 hours 15 minutes. Shorter travel time.
Cost of flight + hotel for three nights = $900-1000.
Fishing Guide is $250 bucks a day.
So that's $1500 bucks per trip.
So you can take 60 trips to Rockport (yuck) over the next 5 years or you can take 44 trips to Mazatlan/Puerto Vallarta (actual beach) over the next five years and spend less time traveling, zero money on boat maintenence, zero worry about traffic accident or speeding tickets- food and beverage are paid for at the hotel- no money on boat storage, insurance, registration, fishing license, dock fees- I can do this all day....

Grew up on the coast.... the two best days of a bay boaters life are the day he buys the boat and the day he sells it.

Consider this instead- it's a 4 hour drive from Austin to Rockport (yuck) whilst hauling your boat. It's going to cost you $100 bucks each way in gas. ($200)
It's going to cost you another $100 minimum in gas for the boat. I'm not even going to add in license, insurance etc on the boat.
Boat is $35k. Hotel in Rockport is 100 bucks a night. So if you go every month one weekend a month for 5 years that's $6000 per year times 5 years that's $30,000.
So boat = $35,000
Travel, rooms = $30,000

Consider this-

Flight from Austin to Puerto Vallarta or Mazatlan is 2 hours 15 minutes. Shorter travel time.
So you can take 60 trips to Rockport (yuck) over the next 5 years or you can take 44 trips to Mazatlan/Puerto Vallarta (actual beach) over the next five years and spend less time traveling, zero money on boat maintenence, zero worry about traffic accident or speeding tickets- food and beverage are paid for at the hotel- no money on boat storage, insurance, registration, fishing license, dock fees- I can do this all day....
Good points Clob but I'll be using this with my kids a lot on Canyon Lake. Trust me, if it was just me, i would being doing a lot of things different. Just trying to please all involved. That $100 a night stay in Rockport becomes $200 a night in summer LOL. I stayed at Lighthouse Inn 2 weeks ago.

Last edited:
I will give a bit of free common sense advise here regarding buying a used boat these days:
As I was considering buying this bay boat, I quickly realized that to get what I wanted on a new, good boat, that I was in the $55,000-$60-000 range. So just for grins, I started entertaining the idea of a good used boat with under 100 hours on the motor.

Well, I found a couple slightly used boats that I liked and narrowed it down to one that is being offered on boat trader right now. The boat is advertised as very good condition with less than 100 hours on the motor. I call the guy and we come to an agreement in principal contingent upon everything checking out. The boat did not have an hour meter so I told him that I was going to have a survey done on the boat and get the actual engine hours and engine diagnostics from the motor. Even if the boat had an hour meter, don't trust it, they can be manipulated, get the survey done to be sure.

So, I paid a reputable marine surveyor to check it out and let me say it was perhaps the wisest $250 I've spent. The engine actually had 289 hours on it and had over heated 57 times. The surveyor told me it was probably overheated that many times because the person driving the boat didn't know what he was doing and was probably running the boat with the jack plate up all the time not allowing the boat motor impeller enough water to cool itself.

Now the boat motor had an extended warranty until 2018 but does anyone think Suzuki would be doing the repair work for free after all that abuse? Nope. So I potentially would have bought the used boat for $35,000 and then probably replacing a $15,000 motor out of pocket soon after. So, that little deal left a bad taste in my mouth and I bought a new one. There are plenty of good used boats out there but do your homework especially on these high priced engines. End of story.
Buying a used motor is buying someone else problem or they would not be selling it

Hook'em

Good points Clob but I'll be using this with my kids a lot on Canyon Lake. Trust me, if it was just me, i would being doing a lot of things different. Just trying to please all involved. That $100 a night stay in Rockport becomes $200 a night in summer LOL. I stayed at Lighthouse Inn 2 weeks ago.
Should have bought them a used aluminum boat and a 15 horse motor and threw 3 cane poles in their and a can of worms and tell them to go fishing..LOL! If they are old enough to be by their selves, plus life vest. This is my Lake Austin fishing rig in 1960..caught more fish just drifting down the sides under the willow trees in early morn

Hook'em

Hook'em

Should have bought them a used aluminum boat and a 15 horse motor and threw 3 cane poles in their and a can of worms and tell them to go fishing..LOL! If they are old enough to be by their selves, plus life vest. This is my Lake Austin fishing rig in 1960..caught more fish just drifting down the sides under the willow trees in early morn

Hook'em

Hook'em
Biggest bass I ever caught was on town lake. I want under the Congress bridge where the bats were and would fling a big black brush hog jig up in the air and let it "kerplop" into the water. BAM! 12lb bass.

Of course I got rocks, apples, and other things thrown at me by some of the people that live on the lake because I was "harming the fish"----- I practice catch and release btw.

So boat = $35,000
Travel, rooms = $30,000

Consider this-

If it flies, floats, or f**ks, don't buy it, rent it.

Learned from a wise man who told me the best thing he ever did was buy the boat and the bay house when his kids were little. You don't get that time back, and the memories will last a lifetime.

Thus, I own both and do not regret it.

Learned from a wise man who told me the best thing he ever did was buy the boat and the bay house when his kids were little. You don't get that time back, and the memories will last a lifetime.

Thus, I own both and do not regret it.
I has no kids.

Am I to understand you bought that boat in Austin? Or is it just a name for the business?

Btw, for anyone with young kids, here is the bomb. Go to Port A or anywhere along the coast and fish the surf for piggy perch. Use a cheap Zebco fishing straight down waist deep with a perch hook, dead shrimp. Get a bite within seconds and they never swallow the hook. Kids go bonkers because it's fast action. Have caught a few red fish and black drum.

Btw, for anyone with young kids, here is the bomb. Go to Port A or anywhere along the coast and fish the surf for piggy perch. Use a cheap Zebco fishing straight down waist deep with a perch hook, dead shrimp. Get a bite within seconds and they never swallow the hook. Kids go bonkers because it's fast action. Have caught a few red fish and black drum.
What's up crazy sumbitch I started a thread the other day with your name in the title asking where you were. You never responded? I know you have some sunshine to pump on the Longhorn's upcoming season:D

You can also find a pier, marina, or other type of bulkhead and do the same. We have been catching mangrove snapper by putting small bits of shrimp on a hook and dropping them right up against the pilings. The kids go nuts as the fish fight hard, and some of the snaps are big enough for eating.

Hope you have experience boating in the bays, it's a little different than the area lakes.
I go quite a bit with my brother so I know Aransas bay pretty well. I've navigated Saint Charles Bay numerous times but just for safe measure I've got a gps with maps etc:)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT