ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Any Texas coast fishermen up in here?

Grew up on the coast.... the two best days of a bay boaters life are the day he buys the boat and the day he sells it.

Consider this instead- it's a 4 hour drive from Austin to Rockport (yuck) whilst hauling your boat. It's going to cost you $100 bucks each way in gas. ($200)
It's going to cost you another $100 minimum in gas for the boat. I'm not even going to add in license, insurance etc on the boat.
Boat is $35k. Hotel in Rockport is 100 bucks a night. So if you go every month one weekend a month for 5 years that's $6000 per year times 5 years that's $30,000.
So boat = $35,000
Travel, rooms = $30,000
= $65,000 over 5 years MINIMUM.

Consider this-

Flight from Austin to Puerto Vallarta or Mazatlan is 2 hours 15 minutes. Shorter travel time.
Cost of flight + hotel for three nights = $900-1000.
Fishing Guide is $250 bucks a day.
So that's $1500 bucks per trip.
So you can take 60 trips to Rockport (yuck) over the next 5 years or you can take 44 trips to Mazatlan/Puerto Vallarta (actual beach) over the next five years and spend less time traveling, zero money on boat maintenence, zero worry about traffic accident or speeding tickets- food and beverage are paid for at the hotel- no money on boat storage, insurance, registration, fishing license, dock fees- I can do this all day....

Can you sight cast with a fly rod for Reds down there?

My kayak is way cheaper and can get me in water that you'd need air boat for otherwise.

Kayak- $750
Food and lodging- free. in-laws house. Bring them ~$50 in booze. Consume large portion myself. Do a couple of chores they are getting too old for.
$40 gas round trip
Often get to work in a date night with free baby sitting too.

Last edited:

My kayak is way cheaper and can get me in water that you'd need air boat for otherwise.

Kayak- $750
Food and lodging- free. in-laws house. Bring them ~$50 in booze. Consume large portion myself. Do a couple of chores they are getting too old for.
$40 gas round trip
There are some spots you can. And it depends on the time of year. Laguna Madre is a great spot. You can see the reds schooling and actually see their dorsal break the surface as they cruise around. Just find a school and do your best to keep pace.

Reactions: Longyac
There are some spots you can. And it depends on the time of year. Laguna Madre is a great spot. You can see the reds schooling and actually see their dorsal break the surface as they cruise around. Just find a school and do your best to keep pace.

I see that in Lighthouse Lakes, Estes flats, and Brown and Root flats.

Kayak- $750
$40 gas round trip
Ive never kayak' lighthouse lakes but always wanted to. I have however kayak' the back lakes of Aransas Wildlife Refuge quite a few times. Caught a lot of reds, trout, flounder back there. Also had my fair share of run ins with alligators back there.

And watch for the birds.....thats a good sign...

Hook'em
Funny you should say that---

So a couple of weeks ago I'm at a family get together-- aunts, uncles, cousin etc. All my grandparents are gone-- so anyway- every family has one of these:
The fvcking busy body aunt-- always up in your sh!t, always asking personal questions that have zero to do with her-- plus she's not blood related-- married into the family--

Anyway- she comes right over and jumps in my sh!t about why I'm not married, don't have kids- then proceeds to tell me about this "lovely girl that works in her building" blah blah.

So I decide to amuse myself and have a little fun with aunt nosey. I get this real serious look on my face- almost like stricken serious and I say:
Me-"You know um..... I went in for my yearly physical last month and....(pause of dramatic silence)... and they did a full work up on me.....(longer pause followed by nervous hand rubbing).... and the doctor gave me some bad news...."
Her- "Oh my God are you OK? What happened? What did he say? Are you ok?"
M- "Well......he told me that I couldn't have kids....."
H- "Dear lord ......I'm so sorry....that's terr.....what...what happened?"
She's almost in tears...... so now I drive the dagger home....
M- "Ya.........(deep breath) ..well according to the doc, it turns out I need a vagina..........."

Nosey aunt stands up and without a word, walks away.

Don't think I'll be fielding anymore of her bullsh!t questions anymore.

I have however kayak' the back lakes of Aransas Wildlife Refuge quite a few times. Caught a lot of reds, trout, flounder back there. Also had my fair share of run ins with alligators back there.

I stay out of that area during nesting season. I'm like 5" off the water in the kayak.

Reds go amazingly far up Cavasso.

Reactions: Belldozer1
I stay out of that area during nesting season. I'm like 5" off the water in the kayak.

Reds go amazingly far up Cavasso.
I've never really had a problem but I was going up one of those small canals back there one time and there was a gator that went under my kayak and hit my kayak with his tail. Another time I was fishing around daybreak in the a.m. and had a flounder on and a gator popped up beside me within a fishing pole length of me. They seem to try to avoid any contact with humans, at least that's what I have observed.

I've never really had a problem but I was going up one of those small canals back there one time and there was a gator that went under my kayak and hit my kayak with his tail. Another time I was fishing around daybreak in the a.m. and had a flounder on and a gator popped up beside me within a fishing pole length of me. They seem to try to avoid any contact with humans, at least that's what I have observed.
The gators in Little Devil bayou on the edge of St. Charles are big, and curious. Used to wade there and some of the locals told me I was crazy. After a few cozy encounters with some battleship sized reptiles, I've decided to stay in the boat up there. Not sure I'd do a yak up that way.

Reactions: Belldozer1
I bay fish down in Rockport once a year. Use a guide named Ottis Poston. He's awesome. Puts us on the trout and reds every time. Cool, low key guy. Puts in at the ramp near the Rockport/Fulton causeway. My Dad retired down there years ago, house in Copano Bay.

I bay fish down in Rockport once a year. Use a guide named Ottis Poston. He's awesome. Puts us on the trout and reds every time. Cool, low key guy. Puts in at the ramp near the Rockport/Fulton causeway. My Dad retired down there years ago, house in Copano Bay.
Stfu Scholz! You know Ottis? Small freaking world man.

Reactions: Scholz
When I lived in Harlingen, some friends and I did the numbers. We figured that you had to fish 22 days a year to break even on a boat. Forgetting about the guide's experience.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT