ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Hill Country home purchase

JDCPAgolferHorn

Aug 30, 2020
Fellas . . . looking for some real estate assistance. I'll be looking for a home in very short order and am open to any location between Austin and San Antonio. Here are the criteria:
  • looking for a decent welcoming community within reasonable driving distance of either San Antonio or Austin to partake in sporting events, dining, or other cultural events on occasion
  • prefer a community with a decent town square or town center where community events occur (rather than simply suburban sprawl)
  • prefer a more conservative community (I wouldn't fit within a subdivision with Biden/Harris signs on most lawns, but don't need a church on every corner either)
  • must have interesting Hill Country terrain with possibility of decent views (flat terrain would not pique my interest)
I'm familiar with Boerne and New Braunfels, but am open to other suggestions and criteria I should consider. No kids by the way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dentaldock
There are a couple communities in San Marcos you should take a look at. Right in the middle of Austin/San Antonio. I can’t remember the name of it though. I loved San Marcos back in the ‘80’s when I went to school there (anyone on here remember a club called Animal House) but now I don’t recognize it.
Probably can just google “communities in San Marcos.
Your in CA now, right? Don’t be bringing that liberal attitude here son. I’ve already got enough neighbors from there doing that already.;)

Reactions: StrangerHorn
There are a couple communities in San Marcos you should take a look at. Right in the middle of Austin/San Antonio. I can’t remember the name of it though. I loved San Marcos back in the ‘80’s when I went to school there (anyone on here remember a club called Animal House) but now I don’t recognize it.
Probably can just google “communities in San Marcos.
Your in CA now, right? Don’t be bringing that liberal attitude here son. I’ve already got enough neighbors from there doing that already.;)
Born and bred in TX. Don't have to worry about bringing any lib attitudes back! In fact, I've done my best to bring some conservative sanity to CA!

Here's a link to an unfinished mountaintop fortress in Lampasas county. A fellow named Fred Gist, out of Midland, was using oil money to build something special. He was incredibly paranoid and would use construction crews to only complete sections and not see the whole project. He never let any of the locals in on what he was building. Once he died, it was never completed. Not sure who owns it now, but it might fit your needs.

31.194942766092897, -98.2555837571811

might Google Kissing Tree in San Marcos. Otherwise. I might stick to New Braunfels
How old is he? Isn’t that a retirement community? I have to admit they did one hell of a job in that entry to that place. A hell of a lot of rock cutting etc. pretty damn cool looking when you see it in person

Fellas . . . looking for some real estate assistance. I'll be looking for a home in very short order and am open to any location between Austin and San Antonio. Here are the criteria:
  • looking for a decent welcoming community within reasonable driving distance of either San Antonio or Austin to partake in sporting events, dining, or other cultural events on occasion
  • prefer a community with a decent town square or town center where community events occur (rather than simply suburban sprawl)
  • prefer a more conservative community (I wouldn't fit within a subdivision with Biden/Harris signs on most lawns, but don't need a church on every corner either)
  • must have interesting Hill Country terrain with possibility of decent views (flat terrain would not pique my interest)
I'm familiar with Boerne and New Braunfels, but am open to other suggestions and criteria I should consider. No kids by the way.
Here’s the question what ballpark figure are you looking at? That’s really going to dictate a lot. I have a guy doing rock work at my house right now and he told me that he recently paid $100,000 for 3 acres out FM 725 in New Braunfels. He out about 3 or 4 miles east of New Braunfels, no trees just flat scrub land. 5 years ago I wouldn’t have paid $500/ac for it. Definitely want to stay west of 35 in my opinion.

A friend of mine has a lot in Gruene same side of the road as Gruene Hall, sits on the bluff about 2 blocks down from Gruene Hall, he’s looking to sell but it’ll cost you $350,000. The lot is only like 65’deep and 50’-60’ wide.The back of the lot is a sheer drop down to the river

Goddamit Bell!!! some of us live in retirement communities. He said no kids and that is what a retirement community specializes in.....well....that and LOTS of drinking. It might interest you to know that The Villages in Florida had the highest percentage of STD's in North America. It aint all pablum and depends....

Reactions: Belldozer1
Here’s the question what ballpark figure are you looking at? That’s really going to dictate a lot. I have a guy doing rock work at my house right now and he told me that he recently paid $100,000 for 3 acres out FM 725 in New Braunfels. He out about 3 or 4 miles east of New Braunfels, no trees just flat scrub land. 5 years ago I wouldn’t have paid $500/ac for it. Definitely want to stay west of 35 in my opinion.

A friend of mine has a lot in Gruene same side of the road as Gruene Hall, sits on the bluff about 2 blocks down from Gruene Hall, he’s looking to sell but it’ll cost you $350,000. The lot is only like 65’deep and 50’-60’ wide.The back of the lot is a sheer drop down to the river

Coming from California he may think that is a bargain ....

Goddamit Bell!!! some of us live in retirement communities. He said no kids and that is what a retirement community specializes in.....well....that and LOTS of drinking. It might interest you to know that The Villages in Florida had the highest percentage of STD's in North America. It aint all pablum and depends....
I hear you, what I meant was I wasn’t sure if he was eligible to live in a retirement community yet. You’re right though Californians have been moving to Hill country at high rates the last couple years and it’s sounds like with Oracle, Tesla etc in Austin it’s going to get crazier.
My property taxes went up $200,000 this year in part to my new neighbor paying $50,000/ac for the place next door to me. That’s just the land.

Bell....I hope for your sake your property taxes didnt go up $200,000...Hell, I was only paying $1,000 for my whole ranch in Atascosa, but I only had a little over 1000 acres.

Eligible?....trust me....anyone that can buy in is eligible as long as they dont have kids. They all have a clause that 10% or so can be under the age limit.....but nobody counts...wink...wink...

Bell....I hope for your sake your property taxes didnt go up $200,000...Hell, I was only paying $1,000 for my whole ranch in Atascosa, but I only had a little over 1000 acres.
Ha no just the value went up.

So do you live in a swingers community?

My preference is to not build. But, if I go that route the range above is acceptable. I'm also focusing on west of 35. But, if there's a town or community east of 35 that fits my criteria above, I'd consider it.

My preference is to not build. But, if I go that route the range above is acceptable. I'm also focusing on west of 35. But, if there's a town or community east of 35 that fits my criteria above, I'd consider it.
There’s a Subd. Called Havenwood that I like and have several friends that live there. It’s fairly close to town, New Braunfels, gated etc

I'd look closely at what is available north of Canyon Lake, nice lots you can build on or just buy what's available. In Kyle there is a community called Plum Creek, it's a nice community. I like Kyle a lot.

If you pick New Braunfels Look at communities on FM 46, my favorite development is Copper Ridge. Nice size lots, you can be in a very nice place for south of 500K. Another area to look at is Bulverde TX/ Spring Branch TX, several communities in that area.

I'd look closely at what is available north of Canyon Lake, nice lots you can build on or just buy what's available. In Kyle there is a community called Plum Creek, it's a nice community. I like Kyle a lot.

If you pick New Braunfels Look at communities on FM 46, my favorite development is Copper Ridge. Nice size lots, you can be in a very nice place for south of 500K. Another area to look at is Bulverde TX/ Spring Branch TX, several communities in that area.
Great info thanks. I've looked online at Bulverde/Spring Branch - seems like a decision as to whether I want to be a bit closer to San Antonio or Austin. Is that the way to look at it?

Great info thanks. I've looked online at Bulverde/Spring Branch - seems like a decision as to whether I want to be a bit closer to San Antonio or Austin. Is that the way to look at it?

Have you ever been to Sundance Square in Downtown Fort Worth? Much nicer than Austin or San Antonio. ESPN Gameday is there twice a year for a reason.

Have you ever been to Sundance Square in Downtown Fort Worth? Much nicer than Austin or San Antonio. ESPN Gameday is there twice a year for a reason.
I do like downtown Fort Worth. They've done a great job with it. I'm targeting points south due to family.

I'd suggest taking a look at Wimberly as well. It's about 15mins west of San Marcos and its town square is usually always busy. Think of it as a mini-Fredericksburg.
Blanco is a nice little town too. It's about 35 mins from SA, SM, NB, and 40ish from Austin depending on Dripping Springs traffic.

Land prices in the area you are looking at have skyrocketed in the last 10yrs. My parents paid $50/acre just outside Blanco in the early 80s and now the same acreage goes for $20-30k overnight.

Be cautious if you're looking around Canyon Lake because it's a mixed bag to say the least. There's a lot of nicer communities built recently but there's also a ton of meth trash.

Reactions: brushycreekhorn
I'd suggest taking a look at Wimberly as well. It's about 15mins west of San Marcos and its town square is usually always busy. Think of it as a mini-Fredericksburg.
Blanco is a nice little town too. It's about 35 mins from SA, SM, NB, and 40ish from Austin depending on Dripping Springs traffic.

Land prices in the area you are looking at have skyrocketed in the last 10yrs. My parents paid $50/acre just outside Blanco in the early 80s and now the same acreage goes for $20-30k overnight.

Be cautious if you're looking around Canyon Lake because it's a mixed bag to say the least. There's a lot of nicer communities built recently but there's also a ton of meth trash.
I had Blanco on my radar but was concerned it may be a bit far out. I’ll check it out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT