ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Movies that made us

The 80
Tombstone. Without a doubt.

Side note, the 80’s were the greatest decade of movie making ever. That’s a totally separate thread in itself tho...

The 80's had Platoon that was great it's my favorite from the 80's. I really can't pick one decade. I like to watch a great movie on Xmas Eve or day. I love comedy classics Like it's a mad mad mad World or anything Marx Brothers. Groucho's humor is timeless.

Sand Lot for me. Reminds me of being a kid. Jack City was a game we played with a broom stick and a tennis ball.

Tombstone. Without a doubt.

Side note, the 80’s were the greatest decade of movie making ever. That’s a totally separate thread in itself tho...

This probably can't be said enough. In addition, looking back I'd say some of the best music came out of the 80's too. That was probably the last decade where singers actually had to sing without the aid of electronic voice enhancement software etc.

Reactions: weevilcatch
Greg Giraldo (RIP) was hands down the king of roasting.
The Roast of Larry the Cable Guy was pretty good featuring Giraldo, Lampanelli, Ross et al including the great Gilbert Gottfried. Talk about a pretty damn funny guy who can tell a damn funny story, at least I think Gottfried was on that one. He's been on several of those Comedy Central Roasts

This probably can't be said enough. In addition, looking back I'd say some of the best music came out of the 80's too. That was probably the last decade where singers actually had to sing without the aid of electronic voice enhancement software etc.

90s grunge. MTV unplugged with Alice In Chains, Nirvana, and Pearl Jam showed the tru artistry of this bands. Then you have dudes like Chris Cornell and Billy Corgan...who did everything musically. You had the super bands like Mad Season and Audioslave.

Those banda led a true renaissance of rock and it was glorious.

Reactions: westx
Never could get into 90's Grunge, but, I have always been a fan of the Byrds and that 12 string guitar! Man them things are hard to play, I play the reg one and i do ok...I got abscessed with the 12 string and bought me one, never could play it like The Byrds...LOL

My Back Pages has the best 12 String solo i have ever heard

90s grunge. MTV unplugged with Alice In Chains, Nirvana, and Pearl Jam showed the tru artistry of this bands. Then you have dudes like Chris Cornell and Billy Corgan...who did everything musically. You had the super bands like Mad Season and Audioslave.

Those banda led a true renaissance of rock and it was glorious.
I was never a fan of grunge but I can agree with what you’re saying about the unplugged versions. It’s funny my kids are always watching The Voice so I’m usually watching it too from time to time and I laugh because really, I’ve heard a lot of people come through that show that sing better than the judges. On the show Lionel Richie is really the only one I respect at least he was a star and made it big before the social media craze where anyone can make it big overnight.

I always watch TCM, whichis my Favorite,, Big Movies like Lawrence of Arabia, Giant, Ben Hur, The Alamo with JW, Gone with the Wind, Casa Blanca, The Great Escape this was a Era when Movies was movies, all them people were hired as extras not computer Generated..I am a sucker for Old War movies, I seen all of the above movies when they originally came out in the Theaters, 50 cents was admission and Milk Duds was a quarter along with Junior Mints,soda and popcorn was 75 cents,,, not like today you have to take your Credit Card to the movies..and I forgot, them big ole damn Pickles was a quarter..

Reactions: freeper
Never could get into 90's Grunge, but, I have always been a fan of the Byrds and that 12 string guitar! Man them things are hard to play, I play the reg one and i do ok...I got abscessed with the 12 string and bought me one, never could play it like The Byrds...LOL

My Back Pages has the best 12 String solo i have ever heard

The Byrds were the shit! Did you prefer the folk rock Byrds or psychedelic Byrds?

Of course Bob Dylan, The Yardbirds, The Zombies, Crosby/Stills/Nash/Young, etc. are the big names. Who else did you prefer.

Have you ever heard of Moby Grape? They're pretty unknown in the commercial circles.

Reactions: FlourBluffHorn
I was never a fan of grunge but I can agree with what you’re saying about the unplugged versions. It’s funny my kids are always watching The Voice so I’m usually watching it too from time to time and I laugh because really, I’ve heard a lot of people come through that show that sing better than the judges. On the show Lionel Richie is really the only one I respect at least he was a star and made it big before the social media craze where anyone can make it big overnight.

I love pretty much every sub-genre of rock.

But I agree 100000%, music today isn't music. There is nothing musical about it. It is produced sound to sell records.

With that said, there are some bands that are REALLY good live.

The Killers are incredible live. O.A.R. is incredible live. Kaiser Chiefs are incredible live. The Strokes are damn good live. I could go on.

Also, back to movies...just like music, movies are generic and mostly computer animated graphics. Acting and script writing has really taken a back seat. It's a shame

I always watch TCM, whichis my Favorite,, Big Movies like Lawrence of Arabia, Giant, Ben Hur, The Alamo with JW, Gone with the Wind, Casa Blanca, The Great Escape this was a Era when Movies was movies, all them people were hired as extras not computer Generated..I am a sucker for Old War movies, I seen all of the above movies when they originally came out in the Theaters, 50 cents was admission and Milk Duds was a quarter along with Junior Mints,soda and popcorn was 75 cents,,, not like today you have to take your Credit Card to the movies..and I forgot, them big ole damn Pickles was a quarter..
You should take Stranger to Alamo Draft House and ring up a big bar tab, just throw a service dog vest on Stranger, I'm sure you'll be fine.

As a matter of fact I ran up a sizable tab there just last weekend when I went and watched that new movie Knives Out, not bad I might add

Last edited:
The Byrds were the shit! Did you prefer the folk rock Byrds or psychedelic Byrds?

Of course Bob Dylan, The Yardbirds, The Zombies, Crosby/Stills/Nash/Young, etc. are the big names. Who else did you prefer.

Have you ever heard of Moby Grape? They're pretty unknown in the commercial circles.

I heard of Moby and I like the Yards for sure, Pink Floyd and Dire Straits and Journey, Peter and Gordon, Cream and the Jimi Hendrix...and one of my Fav's The Kinks..I like The Byrds period...still trying to play that damn 12 string though!

Reactions: freeper
I heard of Moby and I like the Yards for sure, Pink Floyd and Dire Straits and Journey, Peter and Gordon, Cream and the Jimi Hendrix...and one of my Fav's The Kinks..I like The Byrds period...still trying to play that damn 12 string though!

Yeah man, Mark Knopfler shreds! Dire Straits one of my favorites.

You just went up a step in my book FB with The Kinks shoutout!

Just curious what ballpark age you and @oldhorn2 are. I would assume by your comments in the past etc. and the same for Oldhorn that you both are in your 70's?
This Shiners for you bell for guessing right! Go to the head of the class!

shiner-premium-6packs-470x435.jpg

One of my Fav's for you bell!

Last edited:
Bell....FB may have a year or 2 on me, but I am 72.

cool Oldhorn factoid:....My Grandfather was in the Spanish American war, and my great grandfather was in the Civil War. Goes to show you that a generation can be damned longer than 20 years.

cool Oldhorn factoid:....My Grandfather was in the Spanish American war, and my great grandfather was in the Civil War. Goes to show you that a generation can be damned longer than 20 years.
Thanks. I figured I was close because my dad passed away a couple years ago at 77 and your comment about Rickles earlier would have been his preference as well.

Super cool!

John Tyler has two living grandsons...he was the 10th president of the United States, lol.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT