ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Preferential policy

TX1972

Oct 31, 2012
I think we have wasted enough time waiting for the Supremes to reverse affirmative action. I am ashamed of my alma mater's persistence in discriminating against people based on their ethnicity. Texas should pass legislation banning the use of race, color, language, or creed in admission to public schools. My sound bite: I am against diversity of ability.

White women benefit from affirmative action, more than anyone. You do realize that there were also Black/Latino students with higher test scores, that didn't get in. 42 white women got in with lower scores than Fisher, while 5 black/latino students got in with lower scores.

If you think white people are being discriminated against, you are a fool. Affirmative action was put in place for a reason, shit isn't all of a sudden fine and dandy, and on a level playing field.

The ability to have some selective slots is a necessity with top 7% rule IMO. Qualified students at good schools lose out to unqualified students from bad schools thanks to the top 7% rule.

And yes there were more qualified applicants, of all races, than Ms. Fisher who didn't get in either.

Don't feel like messing with it. Some people are beyond help.
See? You can't even begin to understand HOW anyone could not agree with you. And you call other people BEYOND help....wow

And I don't care which side of the argument you are on. that attitude is wrong.

The ability to have some selective slots is a necessity with to p 7% rule IMO. Qualified students at good schools lose out to unqualified students from bad schools thanks to the top 7% rule.

And yes there were more qualified applicants, of all races, than Ms. Fisher who didn't get in either.

Alabama has taken advantage of the 7% rule--they actively recruit excellent students from large Texas high schools that didn't make the cut.

A UT professor from UT's graduate business school accepted the the position of President of Alabama (if, not President--head of business school).

The article stated 20% of Alabama's business school students were from Texas.

My family actually was discriminated against. My father, a first generation Chinese American, couldn't get into UTMB for that reason. He wouldn't have been able to go out of state. Then came WWII and he volunteered for the Air Corps. Afterward he was accepted by Cornell, went to Houston for a surgery residency, finished in Dallas. Then he found out that the only hospitals that accepted non white doctors were the Catholic ones. My parents never spoke of this, telling us that all things were possible. It was the greatest gift we could have had. For more than 50 years, 2 generations, there has been no discrimination except affirmative action. It's long past time for it to go.

Reactions: Belldozer1
My family actually was discriminated against. My father, a first generation Chinese American, couldn't get into UTMB for that reason. He wouldn't have been able to go out of state. Then came WWII and he volunteered for the Air Corps. Afterward he was accepted by Cornell, went to Houston for a surgery residency, finished in Dallas. Then he found out that the only hospitals that accepted non white doctors were the Catholic ones. My parents never spoke of this, telling us that all things were possible. It was the greatest gift we could have had. For more than 50 years, 2 generations, there has been no discrimination except affirmative action. It's long past time for it to go.
Agree.

See? You can't even begin to understand HOW anyone could not agree with you. And you call other people BEYOND help....wow

And I don't care which side of the argument you are on. that attitude is wrong.
When you go onto a public forum and spout off things that are totally false, and then call people names who disagree, you're not worth the effort.

I am familiar with affirmative action policies outside of UT admissions. I have been involved with firms trying to obtain HUB status with specific City governments to do public work. Being a white woman is a disadvantage in this endeavor.

When you go onto a public forum and spout off things that are totally false, and then call people names who disagree, you're not worth the effort.

I am familiar with affirmative action policies outside of UT admissions. I have been involved with firms trying to obtain HUB status with specific City governments to do public work. Being a white woman is a disadvantage in this endeavor.
I am not arguing for against affirmative action. I have not looked at it that closely. What I am saying is when you post Don't feel like messing with it. Some people are beyond help. Then whichever side you are on you lost credibility. As if you and only you could possibly know the right and wrong of this argument. I disagree with the premise.

I was going to argue with the guy who said "white women benefit from affirmative action more than anyone".

But then I thought better of it.....as in nobody who has studied or been impacted by affirmative action could say that and be serious about it.

Reactions: swVAHorn
You are one that is beyond help. I'm looking for a reason to go even further, on this subject. Help me help you, by giving me that reason.
No offense but your response to OP was mean spirited and wicked tempered. Not really indicative that you are trying help to enlighten someone regarding the necessity to continue affirmative action.

For more than 50 years, 2 generations, there has been no discrimination except affirmative action. It's long past time for it to go.

Long past time for affirmative action to go? NO discrimination except for affirmative action...are you f****** kidding me.

There exists an apparatus that would have you take American innocence at face value and not inquire into its evil. People like to believe after slavery and the willie lynch effect, that the path of glory was upon us. Just disregard the situation that a part of US society was put in, because of centuries of subjugation, and an entire group of people released into poverty, hopelessness, and more evil, with no family and nothing in hand…disregard the black codes that followed, disregard that jim crow followed, disregard the segregation that followed, disregard that over 4000 black people were hung from 1870-1960 and only one person was convicted, disregard that over 3000 black people were killed in Tulsa, Oklahoma, because the military, vets, cops, and civilians didn’t want to see them prosper, disregard that over 300 black people were killed because they wanted to vote democrat (I can go on and on), disregard that interracial marriage wasn’t allowed into the late 1960’s, disregard that the Little Rock 9 happened 50 years ago, James Meredith happened 45 years ago, but now you think all is well, and affirmative action is no longer needed, and it's the problem…disregard that racism still runs amuck. A group of people that through free labor and the cotton industry, helped the US become a world power that was only rivaled by England. F*** affirmative action, it’s a small thing in the scheme of it all. A group of people that watched Japanese Americans, Native Americans, and Jews get reparations. But you’re whining about affirmative action.

You’re not affected, so it’s easy for you not to give a damn. People like you that want to sit on the sideline and complain, yet have no other resolution, should shut up. You speak on today, without acknowledging the why. You think all that evil has been undone, in such a short amount of time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scholz
I was going to argue with the guy who said "white women benefit from affirmative action more than anyone".

But then I thought better of it.....as in nobody who has studied or been impacted by affirmative action could say that and be serious about it.

Based on the topic of the thread and Fisher, it's a fact and very serious.

"However, as ProPublica reported in a 2013 examination of Fisher’s case, the university felt Fisher’s academic record was simply not strong enough. And of all the admitted students who had lower test scores and grades than Fisher, only five were black or Latino — while 42 were white."

You were saying?

Last edited:
Shocker. All the white folks from A&M are against affirmative action. Who would've thunk it? Just doesn't fit the profile.

casablanca145.jpeg

Reactions: Texxxxas
I was commenting on your statement about white women benefitting more than anyone. Not the UT case.

Didn't say anything about white women, sport. Try to keep up.

I was commenting on your statement about white women benefitting more than anyone. Not the UT case.

The UT case is what the thread is about, that is what he is complaining about, and that is what I was speaking on. So it's a fact and very serious.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldschoolcat

You're wrong regardless. But nobody that is serious and has studied affirmative action would say such things huh? Nothing like arrogant ignorance. You can remove that foot from your mouth.

"But study after study shows that affirmative action helps white women as much or even more than it helps men and women of color. Ironically, Fisher is exactly the kind of person affirmative action helps the most in America today."

"Originally, women weren’t even included in legislation attempting to level the playing field in education and employment. The first affirmative-action measure in America was an executive order signed by President Kennedy in 1961 requiring that federal contractors “take affirmative action to ensure that applicants are employed, and employees are treated during employment, without regard to their race, creed, color, or national origin.” In 1967, President Johnson amended this, and a subsequent measure included sex, recognizing that women also faced many discriminatory barriers and hurdles to equal opportunity. Meanwhile, the Civil Rights Act of 1964 only included sex in the list of prohibited forms of discrimination because conservative opponents of the legislation hoped that including it would sway moderate members of Congress to withdraw their support for the bill. Still, in a nation where white women and black people were once considered property — not allowed to own property themselves and not allowed to vote — it was clear to all those who were seeking fairness and opportunity that both groups faced monumental obstacles."

But 50 years later, @TX1972 thinks affirmative action is the problem and needs to be done away with. Yeah right.

Last edited:
I am sorry Scholz.....I guess you're used to all posts directed at liberal a-holes being yours. :cool:

I was talking to aggys and you replied 10 minutes later. You don't know how to communicate. Not my problem.

Here is more @oldschoolcat ...

"While people of color, individually and as groups, have been helped by affirmative action in the subsequent years, data and studies suggest women — white women in particular — have benefited disproportionately. According to one study, in 1995, 6 million women, the majority of whom were white, had jobs they wouldn’t have otherwise held but for affirmative action."

"The successes of white women make a case not for abandoning affirmative action but for continuing it. As the numbers in the Senate and the Fortune 500 show, women still face barriers to equal participation in leadership roles. Of course, the case for continuing affirmative action for people of color is even greater."

"Researchers found that the same résumé for the same job application will get twice as many callbacks for interviews if the name on the résumé is Greg instead of Jamal. School districts spend more on predominantly white schools than predominantly black schools. The fact that black workers earn, on average, 35% less than white workers in the same job isn’t erased by the election of an African-American President."

Yeah, affirmative action is the problem in that last paragraph, and it's no longer needed. :rolleyes:

Honest question here-- because I've been asked this several times and I really, truly don't know the answer---- when do we stop? When do we go toward hiring/accepting students, whatever, based solely on merit or qualifications?

Is there a time frame people have in mind? Or is it based more on social statistics? Or is this going to be a part of America forever?

I know personally at my company, my partners and I hire on merit. I don't give a sh!t if you're purple and speak fluent Jupitarian. (would that be the official language of jupiter?) I hire employees based on qualified individuals. Sometimes that women, sometimes men, sometimes black, sometimes white, sometimes Latino, we have people of eastern descent---- I don't give a ripe poop what color you are so long as you represent our firm in the most professional of ways at all times. Do your job, don't make me ask you twice, be accountable for your actions, treat you colleagues with respect, cherish your clients---- do these things and you can work for me forever!

But back to my question-- seriously--- when do we stop taking race/gender into consideration?

You're wrong regardless. But nobody that is serious and has studied affirmative action would say such things huh? Nothing like arrogant ignorance. You can remove that foot from your mouth.

"But study after study shows that affirmative action helps white women as much or even more than it helps men and women of color. Ironically, Fisher is exactly the kind of person affirmative action helps the most in America today."

"Originally, women weren’t even included in legislation attempting to level the playing field in education and employment. The first affirmative-action measure in America was an executive order signed by President Kennedy in 1961 requiring that federal contractors “take affirmative action to ensure that applicants are employed, and employees are treated during employment, without regard to their race, creed, color, or national origin.” In 1967, President Johnson amended this, and a subsequent measure included sex, recognizing that women also faced many discriminatory barriers and hurdles to equal opportunity. Meanwhile, the Civil Rights Act of 1964 only included sex in the list of prohibited forms of discrimination because conservative opponents of the legislation hoped that including it would sway moderate members of Congress to withdraw their support for the bill. Still, in a nation where white women and black people were once considered property — not allowed to own property themselves and not allowed to vote — it was clear to all those who were seeking fairness and opportunity that both groups faced monumental obstacles."

But 50 years later, @TX1972 thinks affirmative action is the problem and needs to be done away with. Yeah right.
I'm pretty sure we've crossed several of those barriers you're hanging you're hat on LOL.Affirmative Action needs to go and needs to go now.

You can say you were wrong @oldschoolcat . White women benefit the most from affirmative action. Where did you study at? You should learn to never confuse education with intelligence.

But back to my question-- seriously--- when do we stop taking race/gender into consideration?

"Researchers found that the same résumé for the same job application will get twice as many callbacks for interviews if the name on the résumé is Greg instead of Jamal. School districts spend more on predominantly white schools than predominantly black schools. The fact that black workers earn, on average, 35% less than white workers in the same job isn’t erased by the election of an African-American President."

When will this stop? There is your answer. Let me know when you get that answer.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT