ADVERTISEMENT

OT: San Antonio

Here is the deal. If you want barbecue get out of SA and go to New Braunfels.

If all you are going to eat is Mexican, then there are a lot of great places, but keep in mind it is TexMex.

The good news is, TexMex is better than authentic Mexican. San Antonio has some get places for Steak, seafood, Mexican and even a good italian place. There is no really good Chinese or barbecue. We do have great Tai food as we have a big Taiwanese population.

In the end, it's about the Tex-Mex. Look at the previous thread as we hit some really good spots.

Wasatch.....what you say is true ...up to a point. The thing is...authentic Mexican food IS Tex Mex....It was derived from the cooking fires of the Tejas Indians....

Besides all that....you can get the best at MiTierra if what you want is Tex Mex or nontex mex....(cabrito,Pescas grandes, etc.

I am still waiting to hear what someone thinks "authentic" Mexican food is. ....and another thing....there is wonderful BBQ in San Antonio. There just isnt a resturant that has it. You have to look around where some guy is hauling one of those trailers that has a pit made from a 1000 gal propane tank. They are out there and they are damned good. Mostly catered deals.

It's really all subjective anyway. Everyone has their own tastes and opinions. No matter what is recommended, no one is going to agree on all of the places. Doesn't make one person right or wrong. It's just different tastes for different folks.

when I truly want good barbecue I will go to New Braunfels and either go to Blacks or Coopers, both are fantastic. My favorite is actually Kritzers, but that is a drive.

Real Mexican is actually much more corn and squash and beans, beef is not big in authentic Mexican like it is in Tex-Mex. Authentic Mexican is more fish, Pork and Chicken. The difference between Authentic Mexican and Tex-Mex is about the same as the difference between Texas barbecue and Memphis or Carolina barbecue.

The one place I've grown very fond of is Gloria's Latin Cuisine. It's a fusion of Central American food and it is amazing. They are located in the RIM shopping center near the Bass Pro Shop.

when I truly want good barbecue I will go to New Braunfels and either go to Blacks or Coopers, both are fantastic. My favorite is actually Kritzers, but that is a drive.

Real Mexican is actually much more corn and squash and beans, beef is not big in authentic Mexican like it is in Tex-Mex. Authentic Mexican is more fish, Pork and Chicken. The difference between Authentic Mexican and Tex-Mex is about the same as the difference between Texas barbecue and Memphis or Carolina barbecue.
This is only my opinion but as far as brisket goes I have go with City Market, Luling. Some of the best sausage I’ve had is at the Downtown city market in Gonzales. Hands down best smoked boudin I’ve had is my buddy Johnny who owns Johnnys Cajun cafe in Gonzales. If you’re ever down there swing by and pick up a few links, you won’t regret, I guarantee

Reactions: oldhorn2
Robo....the problem is that in the Dallas area you are so far from decent Mexican food that you may never find what you like in SA. I know some Dallas folks that think Taco Bueno is the measuring stick for good Mexican food. good luck.....

Looking for some asado or green chicken enchiladas or red enchiladas some good rice and beans or some gorditas or some good menudo
Robocock I'm a Dallas boy by birth and I'd be lying if I didn't say I've always been a big fan of El Fenix off NW HWY

Looking for some asado or green chicken enchiladas or red enchiladas some good rice and beans or some gorditas or some good menudo

For good enchiladas try Los Barrios, Blanco Cafe, or Rosario's. Enchiladas to me are the measuring stick for a good Mexican restaurant. Thousand Oaks Cafe I'm told has fantastic menudo, but I don't eat it so I can't give you a yes.

I will again say, you should try Gloria's the food is absolutely amazing.

authentic=no sharp cheedar and chili enchiladas. =)roll

I’m glad my grandmother was from Mexico and my mother in law. I get to eat the real deal none of that Tex Mex stuff. Although I do like Fajita once in a while.

Reactions: FlourBluffHorn
Robo....the problem is that in the Dallas area you are so far from decent Mexican food that you may never find what you like in SA. I know some Dallas folks that think Taco Bueno is the measuring stick for good Mexican food. good luck.....

Originally from west Texas and cook way different. If anyone ever goes out past Odessa going to Pecos stop in a small town call Wickett, Tx there is a restaurant out there called Quintana Cafe you will not be disappointed. And they are family.

Your a lucky man to have that good stuff around!

I truly am! Mexican food is different from where my grandmothers from and different from where my mother in law is from. It’s all amazing! And yes it’s better than Tex Mex in my opinion and it’s not the same. If you’re lucky enough to have a friend from Michoacan let them cook for you.

What qualifies for Mexican food in Texas is way different than New Mexico and still more different is Mexican food in Arizona and California, and none of them are like Mexican food in Mexico.

I've had Mexican in every one of them, except Mexico and I can tell you Texas is by far the best. However I'm partial to beef so that is a big difference. When I go to New Mexico, I often opt for native Indian food, that is some good stuff right there. Not to mention you get complimentary piece of peyote with every meal.

ok....here is the deal....any place that makes the hot sauce with tomatillos and chili pequins is top shelf as far as I am concerned. If you find yourself in a small town in south Texas go to the place with pealing, or better yet no paint. If they have a screen door, you cant miss. If they have sour cream, walk out.

People talk about “interior Mexican food” like it’s one thing, but food in Mexico is hyper-regional. Chiapas, Oaxaca, Veracruz, and Michoacán, for example, all have styles of cuisine that differ about as much from each other as they do from Tex-Mex.

I don’t discriminate. I love all of it, Tex-Mex included.

Those people are idiots.

There are so many hole in the wall restaurants on the West and North side of FW that more than satisfy. Hell, I get authentic in our little community from parents of some of our kids.

authentic=no sharp cheedar and chili enchiladas. =)roll

I’m glad my grandmother was from Mexico and my mother in law. I get to eat the real deal none of that Tex Mex stuff. Although I do like Fajita once in a while.

I'm confused as to what is wrong with Tex-Mex, sharp cheddar and/or chili????

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT