ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The Black Panther Kinda Sucked

One of my grandfather's friends was at Utah beach. Though the carnage at Omaha was worse, Utah was no sunday stroll down the promenade. Gramps was a nav/bomb on a B17 so he never got to see it close up...... but he went with Hal to see the movie. Hal lasted about 10 minutes and walked out.

As it stands, I have two stories from gramps about the war and one story from Hal. They've both been gone for a while now and all that knowledge, all that experience, all that wisdom, is lost forever. Sucks.

Same here. Last Movie I went to was "Saving Private Ryan" which was based on about two pages of a book called "Band of Brothers" which we all saw on TV.

In the SPR landing sequence, it was rather exciting and had me gripping the arm rests. I was thinking "Get that machine gun... get that machine gun!" I later asked an old friend who was an Army Vet of The Normandy Landing if he had seen SPR and was it like the reality of D Day. His answer was, "In that movie, the landing sequence was about 12 minutes. Reality was that my beach that intensity went on for 12 hours..."

One of my grandfather's friends was at Utah beach. Though the carnage at Omaha was worse, Utah was no sunday stroll down the promenade. Gramps was a nav/bomb on a B17 so he never got to see it close up...... but he went with Hal to see the movie. Hal lasted about 10 minutes and walked out.

As it stands, I have two stories from gramps about the war and one story from Hal. They've both been gone for a while now and all that knowledge, all that experience, all that wisdom, is lost forever. Sucks.
One of the things we leave behind is our stories, and that of others. I carry some stories from others that can only be shared with a few.

Reactions: clob94
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT