ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Questions, questions and more questions...)

The program was imploding because of a very unfortunate situation because of The Eyes. There are plenty of people to blame for that one. 32-18 as a head coach and four winning seasons is far from a failure. That being said, a parting of ways was probably best for everyone involved, and Sarkisian has this program pointed in the right direction.
Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

I think Herman was a bad coach while at UT and the state of the program when he left reflected that. He was not fired wrongly. I thought that was the point of Anwar's comment.
I'm saying he wasn't the failure of a coach you think he is. The majority of starters on last year's team were Herman recruits (developed by Sarkisian and his staff). Let's not put him in the Strong category.

Reactions: Buffalosoldiers
The David Pierce situations seems very similar to the end of Rick Barnes run at Texas (to me)....good/solid/stable BUT not what the big money wanted from their program.

The David Pierce situations seems very similar to the end of Rick Barnes run at Texas (to me)....good/solid/stable BUT not what the big money wanted from their program.
Except Barnes created the most success in the history of the basketball program.

Reactions: coopdog
Except Barnes created the most success in the history of the basketball program.
very true. But that program always dripped with more meat left on the bone. Texas might be be the best basketball state in the nation now and there was just an hint of underachievement when looking at the big picture.

very true. But that program always dripped with more meat left on the bone. Texas might be be the best basketball state in the nation now and there was just an hint of underachievement when looking at the big picture.
totally agree.

Look, I'm no super fan of Tom, but he got railroaded over The Eyes saga and it's dishonest in a big way to not ignore how that issue...

a. Turned off money people
b. Turned off fans.
c. Turned off recruits.
d. Made his job managing the team much more difficult.
I think its dishonest to state that The Eyes was the only issue that:

b. Turned off fans.
c. Turned off recruits.

I think its dishonest to state that The Eyes was the only issue that:

b. Turned off fans.
c. Turned off recruits.
I didn't say it was the only issue. It was an incredibly large issue, though.

I love the Man with 2 brains. Underrated.
Totally agree. Also think Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid, while maybe not a great movie, was a brilliant concept and pretty well executed. Plus Rachel Ward in her prime was a major smoke show.

• Love
Reactions: PreamoHorn
It was the word "dishonest" that triggered me. I. Must. Stop. Responding. Football season cannot get here soon enough.

Certainly didn't mean to trigger you, but I just don't think you can remotely have a conversation about Tom's downfall without including this incredibly significant development in his final season.

It started with his march with the players to the capital and only got worse from there.

Apologies.

Reactions: boernefan
Certainly didn't mean to trigger you, but I just don't think you can remotely have a conversation about Tom's downfall without including this incredibly significant development in his final season.

It started with his march with the players to the capital and only got worse from there.

Apologies.
No worries. Glad we got Sark. I'll go back go worrying about DT.

Thanks, my friend. I'm not making a Herman vs. Sarkisian comparison. That's silly. I'm just saying Herman was a "good" coach at a job where the requirement is to be "great."
I think you should also judge him on his performance at FAU. If he is a good coach, he would do better than 4-8 and 8th in a very weak conference. A very good coach would build a winning culture and field good teams. Let’s see if he can do that before defining him as a good coach.

He was headed for a major train wreck at Texas. Recruiting was sucking, his players and coaches resented his arrogant behavior and his personal life was in shambles. All of these factors help define you as a coach. At this point, it would be a huge stretch to define Herman being a good coach.

Reactions: boernefan
I think you should also judge him on his performance at FAU. If he is a good coach, he would do better than 4-8 and 8th in a very weak conference. A very good coach would build a winning culture and field good teams. Let’s see if he can do that before defining him as a good coach.

He was headed for a major train wreck at Texas. Recruiting was sucking, his players and coaches resented his arrogant behavior and his personal life was in shambles. All of these factors help define you as a coach. At this point, it would be a huge stretch to define Herman being a good coach.

I mean... should Sark be completely judged by year one at Texas when he went 5-7?

I mean... should Sark be completely judged by year one at Texas when he went 5-7?
No and he wasn’t judged by hardly anyone after one year. Herman should also have 3 more years. I do hope he turns the program around. It would be a great success story. But he needs to do a lot of self-reflection that I don’t think he’s capable of. I hope I’m wrong for his own personal satisfaction. Humility is a virtue.

No and he wasn’t judged by hardly anyone after one year. Herman should also have 3 more years. I do hope he turns the program around. It would be a great success story. But he needs to do a lot of self-reflection that I don’t think he’s capable of. I hope I’m wrong for his own personal satisfaction. Humility is a virtue.

I do think we can give him credit for his success at Houston and Texas, and not only what happened early on at FAU.

I do think we can give him credit for his success at Houston and Texas, and not only what happened early on at FAU.
I agrée. I give him an A+ at Houston, a C at Texas, and an incomplete at FAU. I think we only disagree about his grade at Texas. By comparison I give Charlie an F (although he gets an A for character) and Sark an A. It’s easy to grade Sark now that we’re winning but his plan has clearly worked. As long as he recruits well, we should be in the playoffs most years. That’s an A program regardless of championships IMO.

Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid is famous to me because it was the only movie I have ever fallen asleep watching at a theater. It is always mentioned as my worst movie.

Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid is famous to me because it was the only movie I have ever fallen asleep watching at a theater. It is always mentioned as my worst movie.
🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

I agrée. I give him an A+ at Houston, a C at Texas, and an incomplete at FAU. I think we only disagree about his grade at Texas. By comparison I give Charlie an F (although he gets an A for character) and Sark an A. It’s easy to grade Sark now that we’re winning but his plan has clearly worked. As long as he recruits well, we should be in the playoffs most years. That’s an A program regardless of championships IMO.
I'm not sure it's worth arguing about the Texas grades. I wouldn't quibble.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT