ADVERTISEMENT

Random thoughts

Now that college football is professional…maybe they should set up the ncaa draft and seed based on prior year rankings? Surely I jest, but why not. If they don’t set up some type of restrictions it’s all just going to be about who ponies up the most. It will get ugly. Now that it’s legal it’s open season for sleezeballs that would otherwise have been managed. College player agents cashing in. Lawyers, legal fees. Politicians with their hands out. Oh, the horror it will soon become. Got to give credit to the Aggies for cashing in before some rules start setting in.
And now that it’s all about the benjamins coaches better do a bang up job of evaluating talent and telling the money people who they want. Or hope the money people buy the guys they want and not just who the money guys like.

And putting themselves into some serious debt. Haven’t they dropped their entrance requirements so they can get more student tuition? Not saying they don’t have some quality degrees, but they need/want more students.
Don't you remember when Chris Fowler's even dumber than he is twin Rick Perry was governor? He wanted to make the cow college a diploma factory don't worry about grades. But then what would you expect from an aggie who barely graduated with a degree in poultry science?

That reminds didn't he try to do the same thing with Texas?

Don't you remember when Chris Fowler's even dumber than he is twin Rick Perry was governor? He wanted to make the cow college a diploma factory don't worry about grades. But then what would you expect from an aggie who barely graduated with a degree in poultry science?

That's funny, but if you lived in Texas you would probably vote for Beto, lol.

I don’t think that’s the case. When Xavier worthy showed up NIL was just maybe becoming a thing, so it didn’t have anything to do with his decision. Arch manning is going to rake in the NIL money no matter where he shows up, and his family has money anyway, so I don’t think that is really factoring in to his decision
I bet we don't land Banks or Campbell without the new offensive line NIL deal that was offered to recruits.

Reactions: outhereincali
aggy bought their last class. I chuckle that Jimbo gets pissed when this is brought up. Kids aren't flocking to aggyland just for the atmosphere. They were shown the money.
No offense to you LMM, but didn't Quinn Ewers picked up a few million coming to Texas.

No offense to you LMM, but didn't Quinn Ewers picked up a few million coming to Texas.

No one knows for sure how much Ewers got. It's pretty obvious though that a&m emptied the bank to sign their last class. It is what it is. Schools need to embrace NIL or get left behind.

Reactions: harolds
No one knows for sure how much Ewers got. It's pretty obvious though that a&m emptied the bank to sign their last class. It is what it is. Schools need to embrace NIL or get left behind.
I'm not going to talk about the NIL on this reply.

But you know the transfer portal can help the lesser schools. Sonny Dykes the new coach at TCU, rebuilt the SMU program through transfer portal. Arranda has done the same thing at Baylor, and TT's new coach Maguire is trying to do the same thing. I realize now the transfer portal can do good things for certain schools.

Overheard some coaches talking about Anthony Hill (Dentron Ryan ILB) and they were bitching about NIL. "Gonna ruin college football..." and whatnot. Said he is going to whatever school pays him the most money.

No too surprised that just a couple weeks after hearing this he is a lean to TAMU.

It's all legit and legal. I don't know why anyone is trying to hide it or bitch about it.

That said, my contention is that if you have a locker room full of guys that chose you because of money it won't work out well in the end. Those aren't the kind of people that deal with adversity real well.
And then I read an article with this........

Isaiah Wong wants a better deal, and he’s willing to walk from Miami to get it.

The Hurricanes guard is planning to enter the transfer portal on Friday, unless his name, image and likeness (NIL) compensation isn’t increased, his agent told ESPN on Thursday night.

Wong, the team’s second-leading scorer and a two-time all-ACC player, is fresh off leading Miami to the Elite Eight for the first time in program history. He declared for the NBA draft this week, but hasn’t committed to turning pro.

“If Isaiah and his family don’t feel that the NIL number meets their expectations they will be entering the transfer portal tomorrow while maintaining his eligibility in the NBA draft and going through the draft process,” his agent, Adam Papas, told ESPN.

“Isaiah would like to stay in Miami. He had a great season leading his team to the Elite Eight. He has seen what incoming Miami Hurricane basketball players are getting in NIL and would like his NIL to reflect that he was a team leader of an Elite Eight team.”

Though there are countless athletes across the country with NIL deals, Wong is one of, if not the first to publicly threaten to transfer solely over his current endorsement deal. The situation provides one of the first real tests of the new NIL system throughout the NCAA.

Sark should hold the door open for any player who doesn't want to be at Texas. It opens more opportunities for quality portal guys to come in here and take their place.

At Texas, we are finally "cutting" the guys that don't measure up. Yes, an offer is great but it no longer means you can loaf at Texas, chase women, and party. Sark is processing a lot of guys atm.
Well put. So can someone outline how the scholarships work these days? These players no longer need scholarships right or are they getting both? They can be “cut” or do many of them remain locked in with a scholarship even if they don’t measure up? Coaches prompt them to transfer to open spots for the next NIL commitment? NFL has a very structured biz model. College football is going to be a freakin mess for awhile.

This happens with every coaching change. I figured were were going to lose some receivers this month and we have. Same thing with dl and lb.

I also heard that some of our ol entered the transfer portal but the other schools said no. The ol recruits can't get here soon enough for me.

And then I read an article with this........

Isaiah Wong wants a better deal, and he’s willing to walk from Miami to get it.

The Hurricanes guard is planning to enter the transfer portal on Friday, unless his name, image and likeness (NIL) compensation isn’t increased, his agent told ESPN on Thursday night.

Wong, the team’s second-leading scorer and a two-time all-ACC player, is fresh off leading Miami to the Elite Eight for the first time in program history. He declared for the NBA draft this week, but hasn’t committed to turning pro.

“If Isaiah and his family don’t feel that the NIL number meets their expectations they will be entering the transfer portal tomorrow while maintaining his eligibility in the NBA draft and going through the draft process,” his agent, Adam Papas, told ESPN.

“Isaiah would like to stay in Miami. He had a great season leading his team to the Elite Eight. He has seen what incoming Miami Hurricane basketball players are getting in NIL and would like his NIL to reflect that he was a team leader of an Elite Eight team.”

Though there are countless athletes across the country with NIL deals, Wong is one of, if not the first to publicly threaten to transfer solely over his current endorsement deal. The situation provides one of the first real tests of the new NIL system throughout the NCAA.

Yep. It is about to get really stupid.

Overheard some coaches talking about Anthony Hill (Dentron Ryan ILB) and they were bitching about NIL. "Gonna ruin college football..." and whatnot. Said he is going to whatever school pays him the most money.

No too surprised that just a couple weeks after hearing this he is a lean to TAMU.

It's all legit and legal. I don't know why anyone is trying to hide it or bitch about it.

That said, my contention is that if you have a locker room full of guys that chose you because of money it won't work out well in the end. Those aren't the kind of people that deal with adversity real well.
This is 100% completely false. I good friends with the D-coordinator and offensive line coach. Anthony has been an A&M lean since 8th grade. I get you want to say every single player that doesn't choose Texas has to have been paid off, but sometimes it gets silly here. A&M has one of the greatest atmospheres, greatest facilities, better known coaches(no matter what you think of him) THE best conference for getting kids to the league, and the perception(again agree to disagree but you will be in a minority) Of course NIL is a factor...FOR EVERYONE. It is the current system but don't point the finger at A&M for doing it, but fault your own school for lagging behind. Also, don't act like Texas isn't paying players hand over foot. A&M has a crap load to offer and given a better QB last year it could have been a lot different. Kellen freaking Mond had them almost in the playoffs.

This is 100% completely false. I good friends with the D-coordinator and offensive line coach. Anthony has been an A&M lean since 8th grade. I get you want to say every single player that doesn't choose Texas has to have been paid off, but sometimes it gets silly here. A&M has one of the greatest atmospheres, greatest facilities, better known coaches(no matter what you think of him) THE best conference for getting kids to the league, and the perception(again agree to disagree but you will be in a minority) Of course NIL is a factor...FOR EVERYONE. It is the current system but don't point the finger at A&M for doing it, but fault your own school for lagging behind. Also, don't act like Texas isn't paying players hand over foot. A&M has a crap load to offer and given a better QB last year it could have been a lot different. Kellen freaking Mond had them almost in the playoffs.

Well, tell that to the coaches talking at track meets then

Quinn was a Texas lean since forever too. Took a seemingly better deal.

Did you even get past the part of the post that offended you? Because I addressed the last bit of your whine job here.

"Almost in the playoffs". Been since 1938, right? Or was it 1936? Can't remember. That was a pretty good Aggie team.

• Haha
Reactions: echeese
Indeed he was. There were a lot of coaching legends during his era but only Woody Hayes and Bear Bryant were his equals. But where as Bear Bryant had a Montana sized ego and Woody Hayes tried to bully and intimidate everyone Darrell Royal was a humble man who kept his ego in check. He was known for remembering almost everyone he met. When I met him he acted like he knew all about me asked me about school and all sorts of stuff. What a first class guy he was.

John McKay (titles in 62 67 72 74) would like a word when it comes to great coaches in that era.

And if you don't think DKR bullied his players, tried to run them off. . . .you don't know much about the era.

DKR was as hard nosed as it came.

you really should try getting your facts straight.

Perry's idea was to lower the cost of college ACROSS THE STATE so that more had an opportunity. He also dramatically increased the focus on skilled labor training.

A&M continues to climb in academic rankings including Forbes recently saying they are Top 20 which is a pretty significant rise.

His tenure saw multiple Texas higher education schools (UTD UTA Cougar High etc) improve in academic standing

And I'm no aggie fan. . . .though you have made 2 largely emotional claims short on facts

John McKay (titles in 62 67 72 74) would like a word when it comes to great coaches in that era.

And if you don't think DKR bullied his players, tried to run them off. . . .you don't know much about the era.

DKR was as hard nosed as it came.
Ran players off hey fb can be a cruel game of the field always has been.

Almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades….

Reactions: LAY THE WOODY
He's been getting a check since the 8th grade?

As I said, you do not have your facts right.
Look at his peak Darrell Royal was like a God in Texas. And people didn't realize he was a coach not president. A lot of his players loved but some of them didn't. Read meat on the hoof.

So I checked out your little opinion about all the goods things you said Rick Perry did for higher education. He cut education and his answer was to deregulate tution costs and seven years later tuition was doubled now if that's ok with you fine.

Ps Rick Perry went on to become Secretary of education under Donald Trump a department he couldn't even name in a presidential debate.

• Haha
Reactions: echeese
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT