ADVERTISEMENT

Ranking the Portal Players, Biggest Surprise Unit in 2024, Observations on the Young DBs, Deep Balls from Quinn, More ...

Alex Dunlap

Any Updates on Desmond Harrison?
Staff
Jan 18, 2005
Travis Settlement, TX
SPONSORED BY MYPERFECTFRANCHISE.NET

Are you…

• Ready to leave the corporate Rat Race for the American Dream?
  • Looking for a side hustle while working your current job?
  • Wanting to diversify, build wealth, and/or leave a legacy?
Andy can help!!!

Andy is a franchise consultant (as well as franchise owner) and helps people find franchises that fit their skill sets, financial requirements, time to commit and more….

His services are 100% free and he’s here to help if you have any questions about business ownership.

image_from_ios.jpg

Learn more about Andy and franchise ownership through these resources:

Andy's Story
Why a Franchise
Service Based vs Brick and Mortar
Semi Absentee Ownership
The Process and How It works

Andy Luedecke
www.MyPerfectFranchise.Net
p: 404-973-9901
e: andy@myperfectfranchise.net
Book time with me at: Andy's Calendar

More sacks this year Trey Moore or a combination of Simmons and Burke?
That's actually really tough because I feel like Burke actually benefits in the sack department from the presence of a guy like Moore who is forcing the staff to sort of move Burke around more strategically; but Moore is also being moved around strategically, both at the Buck end and at the Sam LB which can be used as an overhang and rush-backer. I know Colin Simmons didn't come in right off the bat and establish himself as an every down type of starter right off the bat, but I envision the Anthony Hill-treatment for him, where he gets more and more involved as the season wears on. This, of course, would have a slightly negative impact on Moore's snap volume. So, with all that said, I think this will actually be pretty close, but I'll bet on Simmons finishing strong to put the Burke/Simmons combo over the top.

Rank the Portal guys in. order of impressing you so far.

Trey Moore
Isaiah Bond
Amari Niblack (even though he isn't getting to play as much, if we're ranking on how impressed I've been, I have been very impressed by his flashes and think he'll play as much as any TE on the roster next season).
Matthew Golden
Andrew Mukuba (I think he'll eventually take over the starting role, but it's been a little disappointing that he hasn't really made as big of a move as Trey Moore seems to have).
Tiaoalii Savea
Kendrick Blackshire

Pretty tough question.

Is a solar eclipse actually that cool? I mean you need some dumb looking 80s 3D movie paper glasses to see it and then it’s a just shadow over the sun.
I thought it was awesome just to see the world go dark at 1:30 pm. Also, during the totality or whatever it was called -- when the moon fully blocks out the sun -- I think you can look directly at it. At least I did. Hopefully I don't go blind.

Little surprised you haven't heard more about Tiaoalii Savea?
I'm not really that surprised because my expectation coming in was for a guy who looked to be a slight upgrade over Trill Carter, which, in the end, is nice to have, but is not the archetype of player who's going to turn a lot of heads. If he can be a good role player for Texas who is slightly better and more efficient than average, I think most of us would chalk that up as a win and that's just not a player who is going to be really buzzy in camp.

*big knock on wood moment*

If Quinn were to go down early in the season (say Michigan) IYHO, would Manning be good to make a run at the SEC title?
Yeah -- big knock on wood, I'll do one on my end too ...

I think Manning would be capable of it, but it would certainly open up a whole new can of possible issues from player-to-player communication, simple young-player mistakes and other variables associated with getting the situation you've set yourself up for during the entirety of the last seven months turned upside down.

But, if Arch is going to eventually be the player that Texas fans hope for -- we would certainly see a lot that come to fruition during a season where he had to fill in like this, which would make me think that not all hope would be lost for 2024.

What position do you think will surprise us a whole this year?
I think the defensive backfield goes from a huge liability last year to being actually good this year for three reasons:

1) Better players and addition by subtraction with certain personnel.
2) A better pass-rush makes for better secondary play.
3) The influence of Johnny Nansen, it seems, is already paying dividends in the communication between the LBs and the secondary.

Starting WR’s to start the season vs the end

I think it will start out as Cook, Moore and Bond and by season's end, Wingo will be pushing Bond.

I was a big fan of Alpha Rev when you were in the band. What was your favorite Alpha Rev song?
Thank you. That's a hard one to answer. I think I would have to pick one of my own co-writes with Casey.

Have a hard time choosing between Fade In Tomorrow and Heaven.

1. How many QBs taken in first round?
2. Biggest surprise of first round (selection, trade up or down, etc.)
3. First Longhorn drafted and when?
1. I think there will be 5 in the first round. Not sure if the fifth will be Penix or Nix.

2. I keep getting the weird feeling that the Raiders want to trade up for Jayden Daniels.

3. Byron Murphy somewhere in the Top 18. Lots of logical landing spots from 7 to 18.

Rank the offensive lineman in order. Obviously Banks is #1 but who falls below him?
Banks
Campbell
Majors/Williams (Majors finally became good last year so we have to give him credit for that over a really unproven guy like Williams, but Williams has the much greater upside so I think we can slot them evenly)
Conner

Surprised at your thoughts on Makuba. I’ve read that he looks like the best DB on the field when he’s on the field.
He has not looked like a better DB to me than Derek Williams, Barron, Brooks, Muhammad or possibly even Kobe Black. He's been working mostly with the twos and has not overtaken Taaffe as of the last practice before today, so, while I think he eventually gets there to a full starting role ... I think saying he looks like the best DB on the field is really overcooking the grits and sort of downplaying some of the other emerging talent in that group.

Is there realistically enough touches to go around all the receivers and backfield guys and still maintain an identity and rhythm?
Yes, because they were able to do it last year. AD Mitchell talked about it at the combine. He said he had to come to terms with the fact that in some games, he just wasn't going to be in line to get the same number of targets he would have hoped for ... and that this realization is what gave him a kick in the butt to be able to affect the game in other ways which led to the improvement we saw through the season as a blocker. Coming to a school like Texas, you have to know that there is talent all around you and your goal is to win as a team. Now, you have to have that built into your culture, but based on last season's success, I think we have a pretty good test case into these sorts of things not affecting identity and rhythm.

Why does OU have such an "in" with Bishop Gorman recruits? Douglas Utu for example. Plus all the guys in the past. DeMarco Murray, Jake Taylor, Ryan Reynolds, Micah Bowens, etc. Is Murray the reason? seems like it predates him.

Someone said they hired David White a former head Coach at Bishop Gorman. Is that the connection?
Don't know about David White, but having a dude like Demarco Murray come through seems to me to be a really big factor that can extend way into the future if the relationship with the school is cared for and the narrative is that OU loves Gorman guys. Also, it's easier to sell Norman as a locale on kids coming from the desert.

Is Goosby really pushing Cam Williams and Neto pushing for a starting OG spot or is this all just Flood’s yearly “mad scientist” phase trying to see which group gels best together?
I don't think Goosby is pushing Cam Williams, I think he's settled in pretty well as the second LT. I think there is some mad scientist to the guard stuff and it will eventually be Conner, but I'm not quite as confident in that assertion because 1) Conner wasn't good last season - he took a step back; and 2) The Neto/Hutson stuff where they were working in at first-team LG while Conner was the second-team center lasted for basically a whole week of valuable practice time. It wasn't a one-off to just get a glimpse of how a grouping might look in a particular drill here or there.

Does Quinn hit more deep throws this year compared to last year? Who will his top target be?
My biggest takeaway from Quinn this spring is that he is DEALING and part of that has been just a beautiful deep ball. I think we'll see some big shots as early as the spring game, so, yes, I am bullish on more deep completions this season. I would expect the top target to be Johntay Cook.

Well since you are mentioning young DB's...what have you heard in regards of the first spring for the true and rs freshman seeing as there is an abundance of talent there? Specifically Jelani McDonald, Warren Roberson, Kobe Black, Wardell Mack and Xavier Filsaime

Jelani McDonald is getting some work with the twos at safety as well as playing some nickel -- he always looks like a million bucks.

Kobe Black looks like the most impressive DB newcomer to me, no offense to Filsaime who also looks great, but Black is really big, twitchy and fast in a way that really pops off. Black has also gotten run with the second defensive unit.

Filsaime and JJR are working as the third safeties while I've seen Mack and Roberson a lot with that same group at the corners.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News