ADVERTISEMENT

Realistic head coaches for Texas.

Bevo1979

Feb 26, 2007
What coaches are out there that would coach at Texas? This is bullshit and will be difficult for Texas to find a great coach. Tom Herman is not going to get Texas over the hump to be competitive. The last decade has put Texas behind the eight ball and kids are not coming here anymore. I realize this had alot to do with coaching and getting kids into the league.

Reactions: StrangerHorn
Herman isn’t getting fired.

I want to see what he does this year, but PJ Fleck would be at the top of my list. He’s taken two programs now to their best seasons in school history. That’s the kind of stuffI l look for.

Urban Meyer is available and realistic. Tom Herman is a good, not great coach. But it is freaking Texas, so we will let him "figure it out" for too damn long and miss out on yet another elite coach.

Maybe the 2030s we will hit lighting in a bottle again with a transcendent duo of QBs a la VY and Colt...

No guarantee he does that though. He certainly didn’t set Florida up he just bounced

Well, Florida hired outside the program so...

Worked out for Utah. Worked out for Ohio State. And now Florida have an ex-Urban assistant and are doing pretty well.

But you're probably right. He wouldn't do any better than the shit we watch every weekend here. Let's go hire PJ Fleck who doesn't have the slightest freaking clue about Texas, recruiting Texas, or running a blue blood program...just another guy learning on the job!!! Count me in...

Urban is a great coach no question about it. He’s a little flaky though. Those “health issues” tend to crop up when he wants out.
I’ll take a few years of contending for something ... anything! If he wants out after several years, then I’ll thank him in the way out!

No way on Fleck. He doesn't know this state. Urban Meyer or cancel sports.
Urban Meyer wants to coach at Texas and our Admin is fvcking around with this junior wannabe head coach. I hope Conti makes a phone call today to Meyer to tell him to get ready.

I love the University of Texas but f this shit I'm not watching another game this season. This is a embarrassment and unwatchable. Del Conte do your job and start the phone calls to any other coach that is willing to listen.

Reactions: HornNation101
Well, Florida hired outside the program so...

Worked out for Utah. Worked out for Ohio State. And now Florida have an ex-Urban assistant and are doing pretty well.

But you're probably right. He wouldn't do any better than the shit we watch every weekend here. Let's go hire PJ Fleck who doesn't have the slightest freaking clue about Texas, recruiting Texas, or running a blue blood program...just another guy learning on the job!!! Count me in...
The Texas recruiting thing is so overrated as a coaching issue. Charlie Strong didn’t have deep recruiting ties in Texas, and a lot of things went wrong for him here, but recruiting wasn’t one of them. Urban Meyer didn’t know much about Florida recruiting when he got there but he did ok. The reality is players go to where there is good coaching and a solid program. Not who knows their HS coach better. I don’t care who the coach is. BTW Texas recruiting was supposed to be the reason Herman was the right guy. How’d that work out?

Reactions: westx and Lampasas
Texas athletics taking a 100MM+ hit this season. How many alumni are going to want to dig deep and support this crap? Not me. At least I am not paying for the cable tv to watch the games.

The plug has to be pulled unless Texas goes 9-1, or 10-1 (how many ever games we play).

If CDC sticks with Herman after another 3/4 loss season, we won't sniff a top 15 class for a while.
Herman will need hot Strippers and lines of Coke to get a top 15 class. Smoke and mirrors. I am done with waiting to see if our team will improve. They made the same mistakes like last week, like last year and year before that. It is Meyer time.

Reactions: horn4life11
The Texas recruiting thing is so overrated as a coaching issue. Charlie Strong didn’t have deep recruiting ties in Texas, and a lot of things went wrong for him here, but recruiting wasn’t one of them. Urban Meyer didn’t know much about Florida recruiting when he got there but he did ok. The reality is players go to where there is good coaching and a solid program. Not who knows their HS coach better. I don’t care who the coach is. BTW Texas recruiting was supposed to be the reason Herman was the right guy. How’d that work out?

It's not overrated. It matters.

Uh, HS coaches absolutely have a say in recruiting.

Herman has had better classes than CS and it isn't even close. That would lead one to believe that knowing the recruiting ground matters.

What did Mack do when he got here? He said he wanted to win a natty with a roster of kids from Texas. He spoke at the THSCA convention. Made Texas keeping kids in state a HUGE deal. Did those things immediately. It matters KC.

Blue bloods hire blue blood caliber programs, not "learn on the job" coaches. What the frick KC???

Reactions: PabloDeTejas
It's not overrated. It matters.

Uh, HS coaches absolutely have a say in recruiting.

Herman has had better classes than CS and it isn't even close. That would lead one to believe that knowing the recruiting ground matters.

What did Mack do when he got here? He said he wanted to win a natty with a roster of kids from Texas. He spoke at the THSCA convention. Made Texas keeping kids in state a HUGE deal. Did those things immediately. It matters KC.

Blue bloods hire blue blood caliber programs, not "learn on the job" coaches. What the frick KC???
No it doesn’t matter. Recruiting is the most over thought thing in college football. You know where all the top recruits go? Programs that win. It’s that simple. We as fans way overthink it. And the head coach doesn’t do a lot of the recruiting anyway.

You're right. What the hell do I know as an ex-football coach in the state of Texas...
You took the words right out of my mouth. I have coached here for 20+ years and you build relationships with college coaches over time. It absolutely is a big factor.

Reactions: weevilcatch
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT