ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting thread (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
When a new regime takes over, the first order of business is to get rid of the ones that cant play. After that you get rid of the ones that WONT play. That often means getting rid of the guys that those outside the situation perceive as the best...Then the yowling ensues from the fan base. When the atmosphere(clubhouse) starts to change and the survivors begin to buy into the new system...improvement comes rapidly.

Anyone that watched the Cowboys transform under Jimmy Johnson can see almost exactly the same situation . The fanbase was horrified....the team was terrible.At first....the rest was history.

This staff that you dont like the smell of is textbook working this thing out. If you cant help pull the wagon, kindly get off and lighten the load.
I will do what I please. I actually clarified what I "didnt like the smell of". Reading is not a strong suit of some on here. I dont need your permission to be a Longhorn fan. I never said we didnt need to get rid of anybody. Of course we do. I said at some point this needs to slow down especially on the OL. If you dont like it dont read it. There is an ignore button. Use it. The self righteous crap of jump on or lighten the load.....good God.

Which is what amuses me about a lot of Texas fans. They put it all on Swoopes when had he had a capable OL his production would have been much better. Games are won and lost in the trenches! When our weak ass OL went up against average d-line, Texas had little issue moving the ball. Not making excuses, the OL is easily another year away from being good.

We're probably looking at a line with:
Hodges (Jr) at LT
Flowers (Sr) at LG
Doyle (Sr) at C
Perkins (Jr) at RG
Williams (true freshman) at RT

with...
Hutchins (Sr)
Vahe (true fish)
Raulerson (So)
Rodriguez (RS-fish)
Thomas (true fish)

backing them up... I completely understand where you are coming from. Without Anderson, you have 4 more OL that will be on campus if Major qualifies. Major is a projected LT, Cuney (RS-fish) C, Nickelson (So) RT and Hughes (Jr) RT.
Exactly Tex...Im worried down the road. We have to HIT on nearly every OL commit or our OL is in deep poo. Didnt mean to piss off half the board by stating the obvious.

One thing to keep an eye on with four-star Jeffrey McCulloch (Houston/Davis), the No. 1 outside linebacker in the Midlands Region, is his friendships with Dontavious Jackson and Malik Jefferson.

He and Jackson are extremely close and have talked about playing together in college. Both are extremely interested in the Longhorns. Enter Jefferson. The former five-star recruit has been a helpful hand for both of these linebackers throughout their recruitment. He’s not necessarily hounding them with pro-UT novelties. But he is peppering those thoughts home while letting them do their own thing. “If I ask a question about UT he gives me more advice about my recruitment and things like that,” McCulloch said.

McCulloch has offers from virtually everywhere in the country and has visited several of them, including Texas, Alabama, LSU, Baylor and A&M. His plan moving forward will likely include official visits to West Coast schools like UCLA, USC, and California. He tells HD the schools that are coming after him the hardest are, “Alabama, Texas, Michigan, Florida, LSU, UCLA, USC, Texas A&M, Arkansas and Auburn.”

When asked what he thought about the direction the Longhorns program is headed in he said, “They are about to be really good.”

I'm also pretty stoked about Buechele! This kid is a stud multi-sport athlete. It was pretty awesome to see he pitched a 66 pitch no hitter and even had a 2 run jack in the game. Talk about great mechanics and athleticism...

Malik has been tweeting at McCulloch and Jackson. Not to mention Fowler in the group as well. Not fair what Charlie is recruiting on defense.

Malik has been tweeting at McCulloch and Jackson. Not to mention Fowler in the group as well. Not fair what Charlie is recruiting on defense.
We may end having to be the CFB version of the Baltimore Ravens when Dilfer was the QB.

They and every other staff offer many times over the scholarships they actually have to give. It only makes sense, unless you think you are going to have a 100 percent commit rate. And no team offers players chronologically in the order they desire them. What really goes on is a game of back and forth that fans will never know about. Don't just assume that the first player offered is the player they wanted most, or that a late offer is a second or third choice. With that said I won't claim that all the players we are getting we're the coaches first choice. They seem to be having mixed success with the top targets.
Really? Why? Seems to me you have a board of players that are ranked by the staff in order of desire to have them play at your school. I know some players get the offer and its based on who commits first from this group of 3 or 4. I am more concerned about the best players in Texas not looking our way. The last few years Mack did screw up big but he locked the state down. I know the aggys in the secsecsec had a lot to do with the new situation though. I just know growing up in Texas that UT was the only offer that mattered to most guys. We got to get back there. Thanks for just giving me you take without calling names or any of that other nonsense that goes on.

A big board like the NFL would be next to impossible. The pool of high school players being evaluated is immensely larger than the pool of players NFL teams evaluate, so your board would be constantly changing as you see more film. That's why you would never know if a later offer is because he is a second choice or because a coach was able to get more information and that player actually moved up the board.

You think a college coach can evaluate everyone based on sophomore/junior film make his initial offers and that ranking wouldn't change based on junior/senior film?

Update on Florida WR Darnell Solomon from Wilkerson:

Charlie Strong struck gold in Florida during the 2015 recruiting cycle. Will he be able to pull it off again in 2016? That remains to be seen but he has peaked the interest of at least one four-star Florida prospect in wide receiver Darnell Salomon (Miami/Central). The U.S Army All-American, who is rated as the No. 18 receiver and No. 93 player overall in 2016, was hyped when he picked up an unexpected offer from UT in early April.

I was real excited for this offer especially from it coming out of nowhere,” Salomon said. “My head coach just told me I have to give coach [Vance] Bedford a call because he’s going to offer you.”

In doing so the Longhorns joined the offers mix with Alabama, Auburn, Florida State, Clemson, Florida, Georgia, Georgia Tech, LSU, Miami, Michigan, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Central Florida and West Virginia. All of this is truly a “Dream come true” for the 6-foot-3, 205-pound receiver with 4.4. speed. “It caught me off guard a little,” he said of all of his offers. “I was proud of myself to see that I’ve gotten this far. At the end of my ninth grade year I started to get interest and my coaches told me to stay focused and really focus on my game.” That hard work seems to be paying off as schools like Alabama have made him a top priority.

“A lot of schools say it’s because of my size and my speed,” he said. “They think I’m a great deep threat player. I’d compare myself to AJ Green because of his size and his length that stretches across the field.” With all of these SEC and ACC offers, will Salomon really consider going to school at UT? “Oh yeah,” he said. “There are other schools, a whole bunch of teams. It don’t really matter if it’s the SEC, Pac 12, or ACC. It just depends on what is better for me.”

Salmon tells HD that one of the biggest things Texas has going for itself is that several of his school administrators went to UT and speak highly of the University to him all the time. “They keep telling me how great the school is and how they want to come for a visit with me,” said Salomon, who wants to major in business. Salomon said he’d try to visit the Longhorns this summer. “I’d most likely try to make that an official visit, probably my first one,” he said.

The All-American receiver is interested in UT so much that he lists them among his favorites. “Texas, Alabama, Oregon, FSU, Michigan, Oklahoma and LSU,” he said as to the schools he is considering.

Also a note on RB Kam Martin, same source:

I got a text message earlier today from Baylor running back commitment Kameron Martin saying, “Hope to see you next week.” When I asked him where he was going to be he responded, “Hook’Em. State track meet.” The 2015 Track and Field State Championships will be held at Mike Myers Track Complex from May 14-16. Martin will be running in the 4x1 and 4x2 relays.

He told me he would visit the Longhorns when he was in Austin.

Houston is starting to establish a fairly decent class and this new staff may get some big recruits to stay in Houston. Folks are starting to think Ed Oliver will head to the U of H.

Houston is starting to establish a fairly decent class and this new staff may get some big recruits to stay in Houston. Folks are starting to think Ed Oliver will head to the U of H.
Yeah, they're winning some legit recruiting battles. Definitely punching over their weight.

I would love to get Golson but I don't see it happening. We aren't just a QB away, and those type of transfers usually head to teams that have everything in place except the QB. Our OL and WRs are big works in progress. Does Golson have any ties to Texas or Strong?

I would love to get Golson but I don't see it happening. We aren't just a QB away, and those type of transfers usually head to teams that have everything in place except the QB. Our OL and WRs are big works in progress. Does Golson have any ties to Texas or Strong?

I personally don't want him. I think he will head to FSU which allows them to red shirt Francois or LSU...

I'd take him in a heartbeat. Why don't you want him? The off field stuff, or do you not like his game?

I'd take him in a heartbeat. Why don't you want him? The off field stuff, or do you not like his game?
I don't like his game and he is a pro style QB, I don't think he would be a good fit and I think it would cause more disruption with the team than necessary for one season.. Hence the reason I think he heads to FSU.

He could very well be a big help, then again... Folks would be calling for Swoopes/Heard once the INT's started.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT