ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Thread 2016

HornosaurusRex

Aug 18, 2007
Probably safe to rule out Kam Martin on the flip.

CL5yoO5UMAALnX_.jpg

Hook 'em

Patrick Hudson with Eyes on Texas

Last week I had a chance to catch up with Baylor offensive line commit, Patrick Hudson (Silsbee, TX).

Hudson let me know that he actually quietly made an unofficial visit to Texas a couple weeks ago. Apparently he was visiting some family friend in Austin and stopped by UT. The visit must have been a good one because he said that he plans on taking an official visit to Texas this fall. He also said that he’s considering visiting this fall camp to watch a practice.

In talking to a source at Texas we are told that the UT staff absolutely loves Hudson and has him as one of their top offensive line targets.

A source with knowledge on Hudson’s recruitment tells me that he’d like to attend school with his twin sister (who apparently runs track) and I get the sense that going to school with his sister could be a critical factor in his decision.

Hudson and Jean Delance (who is also very interested in Texas) would be absolutely stellar bookend OT class for UT.

CB Parrish Cobb to OU. Still recruiting E.Cuffee hard at CB with a puncher's chance at the La. kid K.Fulton. I also wouldn't be surprised if we take only one CB in this class and the rest are nickel types (C.Brown and/or D.Acy) and safeties (B.Jones and/or D.Anderson or C.Wallace if he can get his act together). Also not sure if we're taking 3 or 4 DBs in this class with the limited size.

Last edited:
OOS Prospects:

Texas is doing just fine at wide receiver in the 2016 class.

The Longhorns have notched commitments from four-star prospects Tren’Davian $#@!son, Collin Johnson and Reggie Hemphill-Mapps and sit in good position with top in-state targets like Dee Anderson and Devin Duvernay.

But that hasn’t stopped Texas from trying to lure elite out of-state-talent at the position. Texas is very much in the mix for four-star Starkville (MS) wide out A.J. Brown.

“My interest in Texas is really high,” Brown said. “I’m going to take one of my official visits there, so I can get a good feel for everything, meet the coaches, see the campus and things like that. I just want to check it out.”

Brown admits that he isn’t too familiar with the program at this time, but he does have a soft spot for the Longhorns.

“I used to like Texas when I was a little kid, and I remember they used to have really good wide receivers,” Brown said. “I always used to think that could be me. I just want to learn more about the program because right now, I don’t know too much.”

At 6-foot-1, 220 pounds, Brown is ranked as the No. 14 wide receiver in the country and No. 4 overall prospect in the state of Mississippi, according to 247Sports Composite. Along with Texas, Brown said Alabama, Auburn, Mississippi State and Ole Miss are making an impression on him.

It will be difficult for Texas to pull Brown away from those SEC schools, but quarterback commit Shane Buechele might be the Longhorns' secret weapon. The two played on the same 7-on-7 team at The Opening and hooked up for some big plays before Brown went down with an injury.

“It was good getting to play with Shane,” Brown said. “He had some good things to say about Texas, and he’s a good quarterback. I really liked playing with him.”

Brown is not sure when he plans on making a decision. (Holland)

Texas appears to be in good position with Waco’s Eric Cuffee. But other than that, recruiting at cornerback — at least from an in-state perspective — appears to be a bit murky.

So it’s no surprised the Longhorns looked out of state earlier this summer and extended an offer to four-star Saguaro (AZ) cornerback Byron Murphy.

“It was amazing when I got that Texas offer because Coach (Tommie) Robinson came to the school and saw me (earlier in the spring),” Murphy said. “It was a big deal for sure. But right now, I don’t really know too much about them.”

The 5-foot-11, 160-pounder is currently ranked as the No. 9 cornerback in the country and No. 2 overall prospect in the state of Arizona, according to 247Sports Composite. Arizona State, Texas A&M and Washington are considered his leaders.

But Murphy said his interest level in Texas is growing. He also has a special connection to the university.

“My cornerbacks coach right now, Coach (Bryant) Westbrook, actually played at Texas," Murphy said. "He was telling me that I had to at least make a visit to Texas. He said the program is amazing and that I would benefit a lot from going there.”

Murphy plans to make an official visit to Texas A&M on October 16 and said he hopes to swing by Texas for an unofficial visit before he departs from the Lone Star State. (Holland)

Caleb Roddy always dreamed of receiving an offer from LSU.

The three-star prospect out of Denham Springs (La.) earned a number of scholarships in the spring, but LSU continued to tell him to stay patient. Roddy did just that and finally earned the offer at a camp in early June.

He committed just a day later.

“It was a dream come true,” Roddy said. "I had been working my butt off to get that offer. When I finally got it, I had an explosion of emotions all at once. I just decided to commit. It was amazing.”

Before Roddy sided with the Tigers, he was extremely high on Texas. Roddy understands that crazy things can happen in the recruiting process and hasn’t completely shut the door on the Longhorns.

Roddy said he has a couple of backup schools “just in case,” and Texas is definitely one of them.

“If I do take any official visits, Texas will be one of the school I see, for sure,” Roddy said. “I really like Coach (Charlie) Strong. He’s a defensive-minded head coach. They had a really good recruiting class, so they have a bright future.”

At 6-foot-4, 255 pounds, Roddy is ranked as the No. 27 strong-side defensive end in the country and No. 28 overall prospect in the state, according to 247Sports Composite.

Roddy is fully committed to LSU at this time. (Holland)

Texas offensive line coach Joe Wickline could target more out-of-state recruits

Strong and the Texas coaching staff are in pursuit of recruits that can fill key roles in the trenches. Due to their struggles in-state, the Longhorns might look at out-of-state players like Carl Thompson.

Thompson, a 6-foot-3 290-pound offensive guard out of Miami Jackson (Fla.), goes into his senior year anticipating some big offers, and Texas could be one of them.

“The UT coaches have talked to me a little bit and coach (Chris) Vaughn came out to visit us (in the spring)," Thompson said. "They told me to continue to work hard and learn and that they would continue to keep an eye on me throughout the season."

Thompson’s teammate, linebacker Shemar Smith, holds a Texas offer and plans on making an official visit to Austin on September 26. Thompson would like to join him on the trip.

“I don’t have any future visits scheduled yet, but I plan on getting to Texas at some point when I can,” Thompson said. “I’m hoping and waiting on a Texas offer, along with a few other schools.”

Thompson is ranked as the No. 107 offensive guard in the nation and No. 294 overall prospect in the state of Florida, according to 247Sports Composite. A two-star prospect, Thompson holds offers from Marshall and Syracuse. He hopes that offer sheet continues to grow this fall.

“My strengths come against the pass rush and I know that’s what teams like Texas are looking for,” Thompson said. “If I can get better in my work through the entire play and get a little bigger, I think Texas could offer me.”

Thompson said he will make it a priority to contact offensive line coach Joe Wickline as he prepares for the beginning of his senior season. (Sweet)

Los Angeles Valley C.C. (Calif.) defensive end Raveon Hoston has not received a phone call from Texas defensive line coach Brick Haley since February, but he is a prospect to keep an eye on.

The three-star JUCO prospect remains interested in the Longhorns and is “very optimistic” his phone will start ringing later this year. Hoston admitted that his performance in the classroom is not up to standards, but his top focus is to improve them.

He is currently waiting for grades from his summer session and plans to continue the hard work in the fall semester.

“When my grades will get better, schools will start offering me," Hoston said. "As of right now, I could not get offered from a school.”

The 6-foot-4, 246-pound defensive end, who could also end up playing linebacker, mentioned he has also heard from Arizona State, Clemson, Fresno State, Missouri, UTEP and UTSA. Hoston explained his recruitment and the caliber of schools which offer him is up to him and his academic performance.

“I’m just taking care of what I can take care of and what I can control," Hoston said. "When that happens, then I will see what they will do.”

Hoston said his current top three is made up of Arizona State, Texas and Clemson.

A three-star prospect, Hoston is ranked as the No. 5 weak-side defensive end in the JUCO ranks, according to 247Sports Composite.

Tattoo or not this staff isn't really recruiting Martin hard. Not that we could get him if we did, but this looks like a situation where neither party really cares for the other too much. And that's pretty much how it read prior to the tattoo as well.

Reactions: Godz40Acrez
Martin keeps mentioning he is committed to Baylor on social media. You would think this kid has decommitted from them over and over.

Martin keeps mentioning he is committed to Baylor on social media. You would think this kid has decommitted from them over and over.

You'll have a lot less headaches if you stop trying to figure out the logic of a teenagers actions.

Reactions: diadevic
Roster and class breakdown to project '16 recruiting class size:

After losing Cherry and Catalon yesterday, we'll definitely be over 20 for the next class, easily reaching 25.

"We'll definitely go over 20. I was just stating where we currently are. There are several obvious attrition candidates (DB and WR are pretty crowded) and as we saw with Cherry, probably a few not so obvious ones as well. FWIW this is what I have as far as numbers:

79 currently on scholarship with 14 seniors so that's 20 right there. I think attrition of 5 more is conservative.

QB (4, 4 returning +1)
Tyrone Swoopes Jr.
Jerrod Heard Fr.*
Kai Locksley Fr.
Matthew Merrick Fr.
Shane Buechele 2016

RB (6, 4 returning)
Johnathan Gray Sr.
Alex De La Torre Sr.
D’Onta Foreman So.
Tristian Houston Fr.
Kirk Johnson Fr.
Chris Warren III Fr.

WR (10, 8 returning +3)
Daje Johnson Sr.
Marcus Johnson Sr.
Jacorey Warrick Jr.
Roderick Bernard So.
Armanti Foreman So.
Lorenzo Joe So.
Dorian Leonard So.
Jake Oliver So.*
John Burt Fr.
Ryan Newsome Fr.
Tren’Davian $#@!son 2016
Reggie Hemphill-Mapps 2016
Collin Johnson 2016

TE (5, 5 returning +1)
Andrew Beck So.
Blake Whitely So.*
Devonaire Clarington Fr.
Garrett Gray Fr.*
DeAndre McNeal Fr.
Peyton Aucoin 2016

OL (14, 11 returning +1)
Taylor Doyle Sr.*
Sedrick Flowers Sr.*
Marcus Hutchins Sr.*
Brandon Hodges Jr.
Kent Perkins Jr.
Tristan Nickelson So.
Jake Raulerson So.*
Alex Anderson Fr.*
Terrell Cuney Fr.*
Ronnie Major Fr.
Elijah Rodriguez Fr.*
Garrett Thomas Fr.
Patrick Vahe Fr.
Connor Williams Fr.
Tope Imade 2016

DE (7, 6 returning)
Shiro Davis Sr.
Caleb Bluiett Jr.*
Bryce Cottrell Jr.*
Quincy Vasser Jr.
Naashon Hughes So.*
Charles Omenihu Fr.
Derick Roberson Fr.*

DT (7, 6 returning +1)
Desmond Jackson Sr.*
Paul Boyette Jr. Jr.*
Alex Norman Jr.*
Hassan Ridgeway Jr.*
Poona Ford So.
Jake McMillon Fr.*
Chris Nelson Fr.*
Gerald Wilbon 2016

LB (8, 6 returning +1)
Peter Jinkesn Sr.
Dalton Santos Sr.
Timothy Cole Jr.*
Edwin Freeman Fr.*
Breckyn Hager Fr.
Malik Jefferson Fr.
Cameron Townsend Fr.
Anthony Wheeler Fr.
Demarco Boyd 2016

DB (15, 13 returning)
Sheroid Evans Sr.*
Duke Thomas Sr.
Adrian Colbert Jr.*
Bryson Echols Jr.*
Dylan Haines Jr.*
Kevin Vaccaro Jr.*
Antwaun Davis So.*
Jason Hall So.
John Bonney Fr.
Kris Boyd Fr.
Davante Davis Fr.
DeShon Elliott Fr.
Holton Hill Fr.
P.J. Locke III Fr.
Jermaine Roberts Fr.*

PK (2, 1 returning)
Nick Rose Sr.
Nick Jordan Sr.*

P (1, 1 returning)
Michael $#@!son Fr.

Reactions: HornosaurusRex
Yeah we are going to lose more players to attrition, this is given based on the numbers above.

I believe Evans is RS so we will only lose 13 seniors.

Yes that's correct, if Sheroid applies for a medical shirt, we're sitting at 19 currently before any more attrition.

Yep. If Clarington doesn't qualify it will be 20 again. Injuries also happen so another redshirt from a senior wouldn't be all that surprising either.

Either way, more attrition is coming.

Reactions: pagewoodt
Yes that's correct, if Sheroid applies for a medical shirt, we're sitting at 19 currently before any more attrition.
He was already quoted that he will return in 2016, he's looking for that one healthy season...

No doubt. I hope the kid is able to get healthy and contribute. Kid has been unlucky as hell.

From a roster perspective, I hope he just retires. I'm not sure he can ever stay healthy. That's harsh, but we have to lose some players.

Reactions: TexExSpur
Quotes from DT Marcel Southall of Duncanville (24/7):

“My visit to Texas was really nice,” Southall said. “I want to go back there here pretty soon. I want to watch a practice. I watched Tech practice, so I want to see how Texas practices. I also liked the campus. The campus and the facilities were nice.”

“Coach Strong is a really cool coach,” Southall said. “He’s straight with you, and I like that. I like that he’s a disciplined guy. I also talked to Coach (Brick) Haley. He said if I want to come in and start, it’s my decision based on the way I play.”

Reactions: Grampy2Hailey
You guys looking at Caleb Kelly?

Oh, and didn't Johnny Manziel have a Longhorn tattoo or some thing like that?

You guys looking at Caleb Kelly?

Oh, and didn't Johnny Manziel have a Longhorn tattoo or some thing like that?

I dunno but it wouldn't surprise me. Manziel grew up a Longhorn fan and bled burnt orange. Playing QB at Texas was his dream, but Mack didn't think he could play QB.

Attrition is what it is. All schools deal with it to varying degrees. What is alarming though is the lack of quality depth on the OL and that is obviously the most concerning group on the team. For God's sake, let's hope that we stay healthy on the OL this season. If the OL and the running game can improve, it will help the QB position immensely.

Reactions: Scholz
Ryan Bridges
‏@RyanBridgesCFB
Former Texas QB commit Zach Gentry is "temporarily" working at TE at Michigan. I've got so much to say about this.

LOL

Reactions: diadevic
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT