ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Thread 2016

If you're trying for a GA position I wish you luck.
Nope, I'm an accountant. I have known Sterlin for the last 6-8 years from when he got his start at a terrible 4A (now 5A) program in San Angelo. Have followed him since then. A lot of people are talking about QB not getting better...I have zero doubt that whoever plays at QB this coming year will have the chance at being all-conference.

I'm wondering about Peyton Aucoin. I fear he may find himself out of place in the new offense. Beast of a football player, but how often are we gonna line up a blocking TE that's no threat to catch a pass? Can he develop into a pass catching threat? Certainly has the size to be a monster if he can, but I doubt it. As a former WR myself, I feel like you have to have some natural ball skills to begin with. Does he have them, but they just weren't used in his HS school offense? If not, I'm thinking he ends up changing positions. I could see him being a very good DE, or an OT if he packs on the weight. Thoughts?

I'm wondering about Peyton Aucoin. I fear he may find himself out of place in the new offense. Beast of a football player, but how often are we gonna line up a blocking TE that's no threat to catch a pass? Can he develop into a pass catching threat? Certainly has the size to be a monster if he can, but I doubt it. As a former WR myself, I feel like you have to have some natural ball skills to begin with. Does he have them, but they just weren't used in his HS school offense? If not, I'm thinking he ends up changing positions. I could see him being a very good DE, or an OT if he packs on the weight. Thoughts?

BU uses blocking TEs. And not just on goalline sets. We are using an adaptation of that O quite a bit.

Hell BU found a way to use a monster who is mostly a blocking TE as a pass catching niche guy here and there. The dude that was like 6'7" and 400 lbs.

To me it is all about the coaches. If a kid can play football and has a certain skill set, it is up to you to use that skill set and find a way to teach him the stuff he lacks, as much as you can. So if Aucoin has stone hands. Sure you can use him in short sets and/or convert him to D. But he is a blocking TE that can actually catch too. We can use that.

BU uses blocking TEs. And not just on goalline sets. We are using an adaptation of that O quite a bit.

Hell BU found a way to use a monster who is mostly a blocking TE as a pass catching niche guy here and there. The dude that was like 6'7" and 400 lbs.

To me it is all about the coaches. If a kid can play football and has a certain skill set, it is up to you to use that skill set and find a way to teach him the stuff he lacks, as much as you can. So if Aucoin has stone hands. Sure you can use him in short sets and/or convert him to D. But he is a blocking TE that can actually catch too. We can use that.

Well we can certainly use a good blocker on the edge. I just hope he can actually catch the ball. He'd be a serious threat, and defenses would have to account for him.

Reactions: BringBackRoyal
I get tired of the Baylor was out of QBs. Well, hello, we were short 1/2 a team by that time. And we still won. You suite up who you have and the best team won that day. At full strength, maybe Baylor does win. OU was full strength and we beat them. If not for some terrible refing, we beat OSU. Only top team in the Big 12 we didn't play well against was TCU. It was losing to Iowa St., WVU, and TT that killed us. We played the top of the board quite nicely.

Reactions: oldhorn2
Nowadays you have move TEs that are more athletic and can run by some backers. And more in line TEs that are better blockers and more plodding and less blow by you on routes guys. But all TEs have to have the ability to catch. Otherwise they belong at OL.

Aucoin can catch. He just isn't going to blow by everyone and make people look silly with his athletic prowess as a receiver. But he is a valuable addition to a position where we are lacking. He isn't Jermichael Finley, but he could be David Thomas. Just depends on if he beats other guys out.

But this system that we will run, off of BU, doesn't totally devalue blocking TEs and make them useless to the point we should move him to DE. In fact, this system wants to run it down your throat. A blocking TE can help with that. And the guy can also get tossed out in a few routes as many D's will forget about him....and he can be that David Thomas role.

PA is a mauler, a true blocking TE that can play off the line of scrimmage. He will be well utilized.

For now, Baylor is number 9 in Rivals with an excellent opportunity to hold on to all their commits.

Consider Baylor may close out with a few more highly ranked studs. We are not done yet, as we still need 4 or 5 recruits to fill up our class, doesn't this make sense?

How are the Horns going to surpass Baylor to be #1 in the Big 12?

I'm curious as to how you will physically accomplish your goal? Of course I'm hoping you smack aggy, gooners and LSU and maybe you get into the teens. Is that your thinking?

Serious answers only, please. I'm not trolling you.

So do you believe us now?

The behind the scenes came out on 247, anyone have VIP access over there that can post it here?

Reports Rahssan Thornton was the surprise commit that was supposed to take place at 8pm last night.

Reactions: Metcalf #2
The behind the scenes came out on 247, anyone have VIP access over there that can post it here?

Reports Rahssan Thornton was the surprise commit that was supposed to take place at 8pm last night.

The 8pm is wrong the Horton part is right. He called yesterday morning looking for a spot.

I think the only way another school steals Traylor is if they offer his a OC job. It's a possibility but a gamble for a bigger school. Of course a school like Tulsa or UTEP could offer him a head job, but I'm sure he needs a little more seasoning before he takes that job.

It's a good sign that your offense is respected when your competitors are trying to poach your staff away to positions of increased responsibility. If the offense is good enough to generate offers for our OC and offensive coaches, we should be able to match the dollars, and they might consider the future likelihood of a playoff spot worth another year. Far from the worst problem to have.

It will be interesting to see who is brought in as running backs coach.

Hook 'em

I think the only way another school steals Traylor is if they offer his a OC job. It's a possibility but a gamble for a bigger school. Of course a school like Tulsa or UTEP could offer him a head job, but I'm sure he needs a little more seasoning before he takes that job.

Seems like a possible way this could happen is if a school with a HC who runs the offense (maybe not Tech, but Tech and Washington State are the two that pop into mind first, for obvious reasons) decided to hire him as OC...?

How effective a tight end is catching the ball depends a lot on the play caller. Look at the Bama tight end in the championship.

As long as the TE can catch the ball he doesn't have to blow past LB's on a consistent basis, just have the right play set up and they can get open.

It's as much of a commitment to use the TE as anything.

Reactions: oldhorn2
How effective a tight end is catching the ball depends a lot on the play caller. Look at the Bama tight end in the championship.

As long as the TE can catch the ball he doesn't have to blow past LB's on a consistent basis, just have the right play set up and they can get open.

It's as much of a commitment to use the TE as anything.

Great example is Dave Thomas, he didn't blow past anyone, all he did was run great routes and catch everything near him.

very few of the best ever receivers were" blow past" type guys....Jerry Rice Michael Irvin Novachek..Lance Alworth...etc...Hell...Shipley. These guys just ran great routes and CAUGHT what was thrown to them.

Reactions: HornosaurusRex
very few of the best ever receivers were" blow past" type guys....Jerry Rice Michael Irvin Novachek..Lance Alworth...etc...Hell...Shipley. These guys just ran great routes and CAUGHT what was thrown to them.

One of my favorite examples of Shipley's perfect route-running:

Reactions: HornosaurusRex
Every year ESPN puts together a "Coach Confidential" piece where it polls Big 12 staffers to get a feel of the signing classes across the conference.

The Longhorns inked the conference's top-ranked class, and coaches had plenty of say about the team's signees to ESPN:

On four-star quarterback Shane Buechele: “Has all the qualities to be a great quarterback, both on and off the field.”

On four-star defensive tackle Chris Daniels: “Daniels will be a good player. He has size, explosiveness, he’s able to separate off his blocks. There aren’t a lot of guys out there like that.”

On four-star linebacker Erick Fowler: “Fast twitch and acceleration. He’s one of those Von Miller-type guys. Not overly tall, but built well. When he wanted to play, s---, he couldn’t be blocked.”

On the nation's No. 1 safety Brandon Jones: “Love him. He plays in space well. When his team needed him on offense, he was such a team guy. Big guy who can run, and I think he's got real good intelligence and 10.5 or 10.6 100 speed.”

On four-star running back Kyle Porter: “He’s very good. He was very professional. He knew exactly what he was looking for, which is good. And he’s a hell of a player.”

But the best line of the article, well that came from a anonymous staffer on Texas' defensive line haul:

“Texas cleaned house on the defensive line. If all those kids qualify, their D-line coach will be smoking cigarettes and relaxing on the sideline for the next three, four years.”

As a group, the Longhorns signed seven defensive lineman, including five defensive tackles. That group included four four-star players and five players who weigh 285 pounds or more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT