ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Thread 2017

well, this is the most least exciting recruiting season I can remember in years. Good.....bad....small # of recruits....doesn't matter, there is zero reason for kids to go to UT right now. This team has been run into the ground by strong and that loss to Kansas was a back breaker. There are more kids wanting to go to RAPE U right now that UT so now we get to see what Herman is made of and if there is really any talent on this team. Cross your fingers and hope for the best.

Reactions: oldhorn2
Word is K'Lavon fax machine is jammed :)rolleyes:) and announcing at 11am. Not dead yet.
fax-machine-office-space-o.gif

Meh... The well was poisoned when Strong rightfully got fired. It seems like the top guys held it against the University. Imagine being recruited by Strong for two years and him telling them that "the cake is baked" and how he deserves more time, blah, blah, blah. They buy into it and then he gets fired. These kids resent the UT officials for firing him and go elsewhere where they have good relationships anyway. Herman does the best he can by salvaging the ones that were committed and adding some badly needed help at QB, ILB, TE, and DBs. This is my theory anyway. Win this year and recruiting will get better.

According to the late great 'Butthead' of Beavis and Butthead fame, and I'm quoting the all knowing oracle here . . . 'You can't polish a turd Beavis'.

TH is going to need to find a way to polish a turd . . . and fast.

If we have to rely on this class to win games in a couple years . . . we're in deep do do. Not feeling good about this.

Any hand wringing over the 2017 class is pretty funny. It's not a bad transition class whatsoever. Kids were turned off by a black coach being fired and the team has literally shit the bed over the past three seasons.

They picked up need, they only had 7 commits to begin with and that fell to 6. He did aight, he didn't close STRONG, but hey. IT's not a high priority destination right now!

Graham was openly looking around, they got him to stick.
Miller
Boyce
Estell
Thompson
Ehlinger

Stuck with the new staff.... They're all Strong left Herman to work with!

He (Herman) added need at RB with Carter and Young, need at LB with Johnson, need at K with Rowland, need at TE with Brewer and Leitao, while flipping Kerstetter and Cosmi for OL depth and adding Bimage at LB and the new kid at DT in chisholm and Cummins whom folks seem to think is fairly underappreciated.

Not a bad transition class and folks would have been ecstatic if K'Lavon had signed, lol...Ehlinger matters more to me than Chassion.

Last edited:
Meh... The well was poisoned when Strong rightfully got fired. It seems like the top guys held it against the University. Imagine being recruited by Strong for two years and him telling them that "the cake is baked" and how he deserves more time, blah, blah, blah. They buy into it and then he gets fired. These kids resent the UT officials for firing him and go elsewhere where they have good relationships anyway. Herman does the best he can by salvaging the ones that were committed and adding some badly needed help at QB, ILB, TE, and DBs. This is my theory anyway. Win this year and recruiting will get better.

Agree. I would also add Strong wasn't going to repeat last year's NSD again. While he may have gotten more than Herman all the top guys that had a great relationship with Strong weren't going to be inking with him either after this past season.

Any hand wringing over the 2017 class is pretty funny. It's not a bad transition class whatsoever. Kids were turned off by a black coach being fired and the team has literally shit the bed over the past three seasons.

They picked up need, they only had 7 commits to begin with and that fell to 6. He did aight, he didn't close STRONG, but hey. IT's not a high priority destination right now!

You can, and have, repeated over and over why no one should expect a good class. Lets just leave that argument aside and say that Herman got the best class possible. That does not change the fact that this is a reason for concern. We have our own media claiming the Texas logo doesn't carry any weight anymore, and that there is no buzz around the program, and that we are no longer recruiting against the likes of OU, but instead, Baylor. Whatever spin Herman wants to put on it, this class is weak, and unless they found a solid ten diamonds in the rough, in a couple of years we are going to see a talent drop in the program. Its ok for people to wonder, on a recruiting thread, what this means for the future. Its not the end of the world, but its not exactly inspiring.

It panned out exactly how I figured it would! I would rather have a coaching staff that can coach on game day than win in February the two previous years.

Go ahead and say it out loud, Texas is not currently a destination for elite talent.

But, thankfully....there is a ton of depth due to the previous staffs recruiting prowess.

The new staff needs to win.

It panned out exactly how I figured it would! I would rather have a coaching staff that can coach on game day than win in February the two previous years.

But, thankfully....there is a ton of depth due to the previous staffs recruiting prowess.

The new staff needs to win.

They aren't mutually exclusive. It was a meh display of recruiting prowess not worth a freak out but certainly deserving of criticism.

I never put much stock into recruiting classes unless you string together 4-5yrs of top shelf talent. Even when we were consistantly pulling top 10 classes, over half of them never made a mark on the field.

They aren't mutually exclusive. It was a meh display of recruiting prowess not worth a freak out but certainly deserving of criticism.
When you add the First Black Coach being fired factor which shut down several big time/highly ranked recruits and throw in the losing seasons and poor game performances over the last three years to go along with 6 weeks to work with 6 kids on the board....IT's freakin' easy to see how it all played out.

Chassion has been in LSU corner, people were fooled by 9.95er's. I've been saying K'Lavon to LSU for weeks. Little was headed to Stanford, period. Marv was lost when Strong was fired, Levi Jones was lost when strong was fired. The Zabie to UCLA pick is odd, but he wasn't a necessarily a diamond in the rough either.

So, for those that want to feel bad about it, it's the first time Texas hasn't landed a top 10 in state prospect. I'm sure that's all on Herman.

there will be no lull in a couple years. last year's class was very strong and went (i believe) 28 deep after the baylor additions. give herman and his staff a year to build relationships and next year we will have another great class. what you need tohave a great team is for two of three upper classes (non-frosh) to begood. i didn't make that up-- darrell royal said it. so let's give this group a chance, as there is plenty to like about it, let it blend with the class in front and the class we'll get next year, and see how it plays out.

this reminds me of the hand-wringing that happened when perriloux de-committed and and we got stuck with some 2a skinny unathletic kid. that turned out pretty well for us, and not so much for perriloux. (anybody know where fred rouse is these days? i need a car wash). we got a qb, a rb, an ilb, some OL. everybody could want more but it'll work out. we've been crowing about our signings for 6 years now and falling short on the field; let's start crowing again in the fall and let february take care of itself

Reactions: LongfellowDrew
When you add the First Black Coach being fired factor which shut down several big time/highly ranked recruits and throw in the losing seasons and poor game performances over the last three years to go along with 6 weeks to work with 6 kids on the board....IT's freakin' easy to see how it all played out.

Chassion has been in LSU corner, people were fooled by 9.95er's. I've been saying K'Lavon to LSU for weeks. Little was headed to Stanford, period. Marv was lost when Strong was fired, Levi Jones was lost when strong was fired. The Zabie to UCLA pick is odd, but he wasn't a necessarily a diamond in the rough either.

So, for those that want to feel bad about it, it's the first time Texas hasn't landed a top 10 in state prospect. I'm sure that's all on Herman.

I think the "firing first black coach" backlash is overrated. OU fired Blake after 3 years, and turned out ok. Notre Dame fired Willingham after 3 years, and Weis went 9-3 and 10-3 and in BCS games the first two seasons. Players commit more to a coach, white or black, then to a school. Our stock is low because due to 7 straight poor seasons under Mack and Strong.

Hopefully, Herman can develop and get more out of the roster he has.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT