ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Thread 2017

I think the "firing first black coach" backlash is overrated. OU fired Blake after 3 years, and turned out ok. Notre Dame fired Willingham after 3 years, and Weis went 9-3 and 10-3 and in BCS games the first two seasons. Players commit more to a coach, white or black, then to a school. Our stock is low because due to 7 straight poor seasons under Mack and Strong.

Hopefully, Herman can develop and get more out of the roster he has.
OU is not TEXAS nor did it take place in the current climate on race. The Black Coach thing and the relationships he had with the recruits I mentioned, mattered (it completely took Texas out of the running for Jones and Marv as well as a few others.) .......Obviously, the 6 he (Strong) had committed were committed to the University/program, they stuck. wink, wink

Backlash ? LOL.....you do realize that we took 7- 4 stars and 10 - 3 stars. ATM took 9 - 4 stars and 17 - 3 stars. It was about a small class this year, Nothing more..nothing less. Herman's real test will be 2018

Reactions: Cotton #12
I think the "firing first black coach" backlash is overrated. OU fired Blake after 3 years, and turned out ok. Notre Dame fired Willingham after 3 years, and Weis went 9-3 and 10-3 and in BCS games the first two seasons. Players commit more to a coach, white or black, then to a school. Our stock is low because due to 7 straight poor seasons under Mack and Strong.

Hopefully, Herman can develop and get more out of the roster he has.
The "first black coach" lost to Kansas! He wasn't going to kill it this year in recruiting, and even if he did better than Herman, he has proven he doesn't know what to do with it. I truly wish Coach Strong well, but this move had to be made. I will bet a lifetime ban that Herman does not lose to Kansas.

I don't know how much race had to do with it. Strong was a player's coach. Recruits are players. No matter what else you can say he did wrong, he did form strong bonds with the players. The fact that the team sucked was certainly going to cost him in recruiting. The fact that he was fired cost the program in terms of recruits who were sold on him, rather than Texas.
As I've said before though, the road of football history is littered with player's coaches who were terrible. The love the players had for him did not translate into wins. It did not translate into discipline. It did not translate into year over year improvement.

d7h0nsU.png

They aren't mutually exclusive. It was a meh display of recruiting prowess not worth a freak out but certainly deserving of criticism.

I don't get why so many fans are deflecting and getting all touchy about it, it's most definitely deserving of criticism.

It's not a great class, but first classes for new coaches rarely are. These rankings don't mean a whole heck of a lot though. All about coaching up what you got

Reactions: LonghornMM
It's the No.2 class in the conference and the composite average is good. All while sucking hind tit on the field.

Reactions: diadevic
It's the No.2 class in the conference and the composite average is good. All while sucking hind tit on the field.

Exactly.

If there was a history of newly hired head coaches at schools coming off 3 straight losing seasons killing it in his transition class, then I'm all for going off on Herman. But we've seen so many times before that hasn't been the case.

Were you hyped about the 2013 class?

Lol, hell no. And it's not hindsight. Even if I said yes, it has nothing to do with the present class. If you are trying to make it that simple, don't. This class is deserving of criticism. You can disagree and that's fine, but this class is what it is. Yet I'm not concerned, because Herman came into a lot of talent, and he'll win this season...then recruiting will pick back up. He has enough ballers in this class, and enough talent around them, to mask any deficiencies, in a class that isn't as talented as most would like. Remember, we want the same results. Just different feelings on this class.

Reactions: diadevic and westx
I don't get why so many fans are deflecting and getting all touchy about it, it's most definitely deserving of criticism.
Its a sports blog. Many posters are immediately suspicious of anything negative. With a coaching change, people want to be positive even though the transition has been a little underwhelming up to this point.
Bottom line is this class isn't top 25, and it puts even more pressure on Herman to starting winning right away (as did his hires, IMO)

These kids want to play for championships and be part of the "big game" on ESPN Gameday. That's not happening here until Texas starts winning. Herman might have been able to do some things different and I bet he wishes he had, but at the end of the day most of the blame should be placed on three consecutive losing seasons. Everything else is all BS.

Reactions: LongfellowDrew
Aggy has a top 10 class with the same talent more kids, if we had more kids and climbed into the top 10 some of y'all would have a chubby. Lol

It's not a bad class and they just added Pouncy, continue the wringing. I'll refrain from judging the class to see how it produces where it matters. Star gazing wasnt happening this cycle.

Aggy has a top 10 class with the same talent more kids, if we had more kids and climbed into the top 10 some of y'all would have a chubby. Lol

It's not a bad class and they just added Pouncy, continue the wringing.
This was meant to fill some holes. I think if he needed to get 30 guys we would be in a huge hole right now. Teams are winning with worse classes. Look at Kansas State

This was meant to fill some holes. I think if he needed to get 30 guys we would be in a huge hole right now. Teams are winning with worse classes. Look at Kansas State
I agree, there was no reason to take a bigger class unless Chassion and Zabie would have jumped in, in reality, they were the only other two players really in play. This class wasn't going to be larger than 20. In six weeks Herman added 12 players to the class to finish it out, not too shabby.

http://insidetexas.com/football/football.php?pg=fb_roster

You can add a DT and a WR to this list. 70 kids on the roster, just added 18, hmmmmm. Limited to 85 Scholly's.

Last edited:
This. Top 2 in conference like always. Don't play all the highly rated classes in SEC, ACC, and BIG10 - so they really don't even matter.

The USC and OU games will be big for Herman. Those are the two games on the schedule this year that winning could really get things rolling. Not only on the field but recruiting.

I don't disagree with what a lot of what you guys are saying, but now that Baylor is circling the drain, it would take a brain dead turkey to not sign at least the number 2 class in the conference. The #2 class in the conference just means we finished 2nd in a two man race. But overall Herman was handed lemons and we got some lemonade out of it.

I don't disagree with what a lot of what you guys are saying, but now that Baylor is circling the drain, it would take a brain dead turkey to not sign at least the number 2 class in the conference. The #2 class in the conference just means we finished 2nd in a two man race. But overall Herman was handed lemons and we got some lemonade out of it.
No.2 to a program that took 27 kids with an average of 89.88 loading up with 18 four stars and 9 three stars, they only way we were competing with them this year would have been to land all 4's and a several 5's, lol...

TCU finished third.

The status quo continues, even when folks think it's unsweetened lemonade... it's top of the heap.

Last edited:
These kids want to play for championships and be part of the "big game" on ESPN Gameday. That's not happening here until Texas starts winning. Herman might have been able to do some things different and I bet he wishes he had, but at the end of the day most of the blame should be placed on three consecutive losing seasons. Everything else is all BS.

this is absolutely true......but unlike Iowa State or even aTm....if (big if) we were to turn it around, this would happen quickly. I promise that if OU and Texas came to the RRS undefeated, it would be played on prime time....not Fox 2

No.2 to a program that took 27 kids with an average of 89.88 loading up with 18 four stars and 9 three stars, they only way we were competing with them this year would have been to land all 4's and a several 5's, lol...

TCU finished third.

The status quo continues, even when folks think it's unsweetened lemonade... it's top of the heap.

Well as far as recruiting goes in this conference to continue your metaphor we are at the top of the heap but it's a trash heap. That's a criticism of this conferences recruiting outside of OU and Texas. It would take one hell of a screw up for OU or Texas to ever be anything but 1 or 2 in this conference.

Well as far as recruiting goes in this conference to continue your metaphor we are at the top of the heap but it's a trash heap. That's a criticism of this conferences recruiting outside of OU and Texas. It would take one hell of a screw up for OU or Texas to ever be anything but 1 or 2 in this conference.
Well, there is that argument. I mean hell, lets bash on how bad it is yet they're still out recruiting their competition. Ya gotta do that...Then build from there. Texas isn't cherry picking anyone right now.

Talent per numbers, they're top 20 class.

Main need was at QB and RB. We did pretty good there, but would have liked to have another QB. We have the players to win. DB's having to have wrist bands just to line up was ridiculous. We need to win against the KStates and TCUs and start to get 3-4 of the top 10 in the state. Win 10 games and we start to get 6-8 of the top 10 and life gets better again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT