Recruiting through the years

pied

RIP meroney04
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2001
Talking to my kid about following recruiting, relistened to Friday Night Lights and just saw a post where a$m is closing in on their '26QB prospect and it made me think about how much this changed throughout the years.

Started following in the late 80s, but really in the 90s. Listened to Max Emfinger on the radio and watched the weekly Top 100 lists for any updates religiously. The papers would list the schools a kid was considering in order after his name.

I was late in the game getting TruOrange and InsideTexas, and hell that info was almost a week late by the time I'd get it, but it was GOLD. Then the old Austin360 board, and HornFans(I broke Roy Williams commitment and RPongett scolded me a bit lol), and The_University and Ketch's LoneStar (was it Prep or report or someting)? I know I was paying everybody for awhile lol.

We'd all wait for any info and knew when coaches did their in-home visits and now I'm not sure they do that, at least doesn't seem like they do near as many. The reporters did a lot more interviews with recruits

Listening to Friday Night Lights reminded me how late the recruiting game was. Mid to late senior year, but mostly seemed to take off after the football season. Seems crazy these days and I remember ~03/04 when Mack had our class all but sewn up by mid summer. It was kind of like what do we do now?

Today the players seem to control most of or a lot of tt through Twitter/IG. Still lvoe the udpates here, but it certainly is different.

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.