ADVERTISEMENT

Remember that time i warned you about USC?

Lincoln Riley is about to unleash a monster. They may drop a game or two this year-- but I doubt more than 2. They just physically whipped Stanford's ass.

I figured Riley would have them in the playoffs in 3 years....

He may do it in 2.

I don’t think they’ll ever play enough D to be a consistent championship team but that offense will forever be a headache for anyone

He'll wise up. There's a young Brent Venables out there somewhere. Once he starts getting the right Jimmy's and Joe's to come play defense, I promise you, he'll find a guy with the X's and O's.
Can't tell me that. 6 years as a hc and he hasn't shown me he even cares about defense.

Cali is right. He had the brains to fire Stoop's brother as DC but somehow thinks Grinch is the guy. Will probably sink him too. But don't know who else can get better D talent for that team. And after CW heads for the NFL next year he might have big problems.

Reactions: westx
Cali is right. He had the brains to fire Stoop's brother as DC but somehow thinks Grinch is the guy. Will probably sink him too. But don't know who else can get better D talent for that team. And after CW heads for the NFL next year he might have big problems.
These days it isn’t a difficult thing to fire anybody. People undestand results and taking anything personally only makes it worse for the firee. Riley should make the easy decision to fire Grinch and hire a quality experienced DC.

Here's the common denominator in a Lincoln Riley offense.

Mayfield
Murray
Hurts
Williams
even Rattler

they all had exceptional running ability. It was Dave Aranda who showed how to stop a Lincoln Riley offense.

Stop the qb's ability to run that's what they did to Caleb Williams. They made sure they had a spy on him at all times.

And it set up everything else they wanted to do.

And when Williams got hurt against Utah it was over.

Look these spread offenses all have one thing in common.

Baylor, OK, SC, tOSU name the team.

Figure out how to stop the running game and you can beat them.

They'll still get gaudy numbers but on a level playing field they're going to lose when it matters most.

And another thing they have in common are mediocre defenses. I don't care how many high fallutin defensive recruits tOSU signs their defense still sucks.

Last edited:

Mayfield
Murray
Hurts
Williams
even Rattler

they all had exceptional running ability. It was Dave Aranda who showed how to stop a Lincoln Riley offense.

Stop the qb's ability to run that's what they did to Caleb Williams. They made sure they had a spy on him at all times.

They'll still get gaudy numbers but on a level playing field they're going to lose when it matters most.

And another thing they have in common are mediocre defenses. I don't care how many high fallutin defensive recruits tOSU signs they're still mediocre.
Ron Burgundy What GIF

Mayfield
Murray
Hurts
Williams
even Rattler

And another thing they have in common are mediocre defenses. I don't care how many high fallutin defensive recruits tOSU signs their still sucks.
Mayfield and Rattler did not have exceptional running ability lol. If Dave Aranda showed how to stop a LR offense then whey they are continually in the top 10 every single season? Didn't Aranda and LR only play 2 seasons? And Lincoln actually beat him his first season. You act as if he played them and shut them down for a decade straight...

Have you watched college football the last 3 seasons. The 3 teams that have won the national championship have had statues for QBs. Stetson Bennett, Joe Burrow, and Mac Jones all had little to no running threat. You have no idea what you are talking about man.

Last edited:
Reactions: weevilcatch
Please excuse my ignorance here but….why do we give two sh!ts about Lincoln Riley and what he’s doing or may do at SUC? I can only think of two reasons….if we meet in a CFB playoff or final. Until that happens, hope they lose most of their games. 😬

Reactions: oldhorn2
Mayfield and Rattler did not have exceptional running ability lol. If Dave Aranda showed how to stop a LR offense then whey they are continually in the top 10 every single season? Didn't Aranda and LR only play 2 seasons? And Lincoln actually beat him his first season. You act as if he played them and shut them down for a decade straight...

Have you watched college football the last 3 seasons. The 3 teams that have won the national championship have had statues for QBs. Stetson Bennett, Joe Burrow, and Mac Jones all had little to no running threat. You have no idea what you are talking about man.
I watched Mayfield and Rattler scramble for big yardage numerous times.

I'm referring to the last game to the last game between the 2. Matter of fact OK didn't even have 300 yards total offense. Matter of fact the year before a 1/8 Baylor also held them to less than 300 yards.

I was taking strictly about spread offenses.

And ftr slick you ain't no Vince Lombardi

lol

Riley is a great QB whisperer, good offensive schemer and play caller, but probably just an okay head coach. He'll make some noise at USC just like he did at OU, but I don't see him winning a championship. He seems to shrink up a little when the lights are brightest.

Riley is a great QB whisperer, good offensive schemer and play caller, but probably just an okay head coach. He'll make some noise at USC just like he did at OU, but I don't see him winning a championship. He seems to shrink up a little when the lights are brightest.
I don't think it's that. He needs to start payment attention to defense.

I haven't seen anything like that from Riley and in that way he's like Art Briles.

I know I've already said this but SC's defensive recruiting was pretty average.

I don't think Alex Grinch is a bad DC but time will tell about that

But OK is going to have to do something about Ted Roof.

6 teams in 6 years is not the kind of guy you want as a dc.

I don't think it's that. He needs to start payment attention to defense.

I haven't seen anything like that from Riley and in that way he's like Art Briles.

I know I've already said this but SC's defensive recruiting was pretty average.

I don't think Alex Grinch is a bad DC but time will tell about that

But OK is going to have to do something about Ted Roof.

6 teams in 6 years is not the kind of guy you want as a dc.
Did you watch the playoff games this past weekend? Not many teams in football are playing great defense anymore. These spread offenses are a nightmare to stop.

He just needs new coaches and players on D. That will "sew it up."
Keep chuckling. I can't stand Riley, but right now, if I'm a top shelf defensive player in HS, USC is in my top 5.

Keep chuckling. I can't stand Riley, but right now, if I'm a top shelf defensive player in HS, USC is in my top 5.

What are their 2022 and 2023 recruiting classes ranked? How do their defensive recruits rank vs offensive recruits?

Lol, we’re chuckling because we lived what they’re experiencing for 5 years. Same comments about needing to improve the defense year after year…little to no improvement on defense (and in many cases it got worse). You don’t need a top 5 defense every year to win a championship but you do need a reasonably competent one even with a great offense. Riley was unable to produce one at Oklahoma and aside from against poor competition…has so far continued that trend at USC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Okie70
What are their 2022 and 2023 recruiting classes ranked? How do their defensive recruits rank vs offensive recruits?

Lol, we’re chuckling because we lived what they’re experiencing for 5 years. Same comments about needing to improve the defense year after year…little to no improvement on defense (and in many cases it got worse). You don’t need a top 5 defense every year to win a championship but you do need a reasonably competent one even with a great offense. Riley was unable to produce one at Oklahoma and aside from against poor competition…has so far continued that trend at USC.
So you’d rather go 6-7 versus being a guaranteed a 10+ win season every year? I don’t see how you could be sold on Venables after this year. That defense was putrid and that’s the one thing he was supposed to fix.

So you’d rather go 6-7 versus being a guaranteed a 10+ win season every year? I don’t see how you could be sold on Venables after this year. That defense was putrid and that’s the one thing he was supposed to fix.
Which is what Riley left at OU. Will give BV a couple of years. UT doing that with Sark

Which is what Riley left at OU. Will give BV a couple of years. UT doing that with Sark
UT also wasn’t winning games a high clip when Sark took over though. OU was. The transfer portal is available to everyone. There isn’t really any excuses to not be having success by at least your 2nd season.

UT also wasn’t winning games a high clip when Sark took over though. OU was. The transfer portal is available to everyone. There isn’t really any excuses to not be having success by at least your 2nd season.
Do we consider 8 wins success at Texas?

Do we consider 8 wins success at Texas?
Absolute not. I’ve said on here many of times I was disappointed with the outcome of the season. I’ve also questioned whether Sark is the guy or not. I did see some positives with player development this year though.

They are returning 17/22 starters next year. It’s conference championship or bust in my opinion.

Reactions: 2300 Nueces
Absolute not. I’ve said on here many of times I was disappointed with the outcome of the season. I’ve also questioned whether Sark is the guy or not. I did see some positives with player development this year though.

They are returning 17/22 starters next year. It’s conference championship or bust in my opinion.
17/22 is a lot. If he can't go undefeated then he is a bust. Dykes did much more with much less.

If that is what was needed to hit the reset button and rebuild the program from a team that wins 10 games a year, has a terrible defense and gets destroyed in the playoff to one that actually contends for national championships, yes. If we don’t take the last two solid recruiting/transfer classes and win 8-9 games next year then continue to improve…then i would be fine going another direction. What Riley was doing here wasn’t ever going to win a national championship and it was getting farther from it every year. Winning the conference championship isn’t enough when you’ve already won most of them since the conference came into existence but haven’t won a national championship since 2000. Something different needed to happen, time will tell whether BV was the right answer.

ADVERTISEMENT