ADVERTISEMENT

Remembering Willie Mays

outhereincali

May 30, 2015
When he was a rookie Willie Mays made one of the greatest catches in world series history and an epic photograph that captured it. After that he missed 2 years because he was in the army. Now he ended up with 660 home runs but if it wasn't for those 2 years than Willie, not Hank Aaron would have broken Ruth's record. He could do it all. Hit for power and average, catch, tremendous range and a rifle arm. Tremendous speed and he called the defenses. One year he hit 50 homers and won a golden glove. Ty Cobb called him the only 5 tool player he ever saw.

He averaged 302 for his career. One of only 5 players to hit 500 homers, and get 3000 hits. There has never been anyone like him and there never will be another one like him. At the end of the century he was rated the second best player after Babe Ruth. Willie, not Joe Dimagio, should have been voted the greatest living player. To see him was unforgettable. Thanks for the memories Willie.

The say hay kid was 93.
RIP

Dimagio was never voted the greatest loving ball player. That was a "title" he gave himself. At any appearance he insisted that he be introduced that way or he would leave
Dimagio was a total prick and the guy that personally ruined Mickey Mantle's career. Joe was so pissed at Mantle's press clippings as Joes replacement(they all said Mantle was gonna be better) that he would not even talk to the kid. Then in a game where Joe was in center and Mantle in right, a fly is hot to right center. Joe did not move....his thought was to let the hot shot get it. Mantle ran a long long way and hit a sprinkler head tearing up his knee. That injury haunted Mick his whole career

There is legitimate debate whether Mays or Ruth was the GOAT . Don't forget that Ruth was maybe the best pitcher in the game as well as the best hitter. His WS record of scoreless innings stood for over 30 years.

Reactions: Crimson_Warrior
In the mid 1950s, the 3 best centerfielders in all of baseball played in New York.

Mantle for the Yankees.
Mays for the Giants
Snider for the Dodgers

Go back and look at some of the numbers those 3 guys were putting up during that era. There will never be an era of that many great players playing the same position at the same time ever again.

Reactions: JustAHorn88
Clob....the same could be sai about 1st base with Musial and Williams....great time for daseball

There is legitimate debate whether Mays or Ruth was the GOAT . Don't forget that Ruth was maybe the best pitcher in the game as well as the best hitter. His WS record of scoreless innings stood for over 30 years.
Don't forget Mays in the only member of the 300, 300, 300, 3000 club.
.300+ career batting average, 300+ home runs, 300+ stolen bases, and 3000+ hits. Ruth's pitching probably gives him a slight nod although with the arm that Mays had, I'm guessing he would have been SCARY on the mound.

I never understood the hero worship for DiMaggio. I mean he was a not to be seriously criticized. But on and off the field Willie was loved he was a genuinely good guy of the field.
Hit safely for 56 games in a row and fvck Marilyn Monroe and you'll figure it out.

He played most of his career in left if I’m not mistaken. I think he might have played right his first couple of years but moved to left after that.
I'm certain it was left field. Regardless of what position the man was lousy fielder defensively he said so himself.

So just curious who we should now consider “the greatest living baseball player”?
Taking suggestions.
Do pitchers count? If so, Nolan may not be at the top, but close.
I’d probably put pitchers in a separate category.
I think everyday player would be Bonds-steroids or not. He also fits into the Dimagio category as a prick.

Last edited:
Griffey Jr might be the greatest “what if” story ever in baseball. It would be close between him and Mantle.
Griffey was as close to Willie Mays from a talent level as there’s ever been.

Reactions: Oldmanastro
Griffey Jr might be the greatest “what if” story ever in baseball. It would be close between him and Mantle.
Griffey was as close to Willie Mays from a talent level as there’s ever been.
But I got the impression that playing with style was more important to him than winning.

So just curious who we should now consider “the greatest living baseball player”?
Taking suggestions.
I think everyday player would be Bonds-steroids or not. He also fits into the Dimagio category as a prick.
Watch the documentary "Fastball".

Have to pass. Won a lot, but was also surrounded by really good players. Now his “off the field” play was epic. GOAT-ish.
I might take Ripken over him.
Definitely take Ripken over him. Off the top of my head, I’d say he barely cracks the top 20.
His entire playing career, I don’t think he was ever the best SS in the game at any time, let alone the best player in the game.
I like him. Would love to have him on my team because of the intangibles, but he doesn’t belong in this conversation.

Ripken is a solid candidate. He didn't just break Lou Gehrig's record he shattered it. He was a professional on and off the field. He was admired for the way he handled fans especially kids. He also hit 431 home runs, won a lot of golden gloves, and was MVP at least one.

And he wasn't on steroids.

😂 And before to long Rickey Henderson will announce himself as the GLP.

Taking suggestions.
I think everyday player would be Bonds- steroids or not. He also fits into the Dimagio category as a prick.

NolanRyanRobinVenturaFight_display_image.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT