ADVERTISEMENT

Road trip: Minnesota

Oldmanastro

Jun 18, 2015
Alright knuckleheads, I’m taking the family to a family reunion up in Minnesota and hitting the road on Thursday. My teenage daughters have never been on a road trip (their mother always flew them) so they get to see the Midwest country side straight up I-35 from Austin to Minneapolis. Probably stop overnight in KC. Was wondering if you guys had any other suggestions or ideas about what we should make an effort to see? I mean there’s always the world’s largest ball of yarn and a rooster that can beat you in tik-tack toe (sarcasm), just wondering about other spots.

Reactions: CodyCarpentier
where in MN are you headed?

low chance of this happening but make sure you have cash for toll roads in Kansas. in ‘98 I was an idiot and forgot to get cash before I left in the morning, didn’t even think about it until I got to the toll road. Middle of nowhere with zero cash. Had to scrounge for change in my car.

low chance of this happening but make sure you have cash for toll roads in Kansas. in ‘98 I was an idiot and forgot to get cash before I left in the morning, didn’t even think about it until I got to the toll road. Middle of nowhere with zero cash. Had to scrounge for change in my car.
Brainerd MN on a lake. It’s north of St. Cloud.
I’ve heard of possible tolls. Thanks for the heads up.

Reactions: duqu
Brainerd MN on a lake. It’s north of St. Cloud.
I’ve heard of possible tolls. Thanks for the heads up.
on a lake Brained will be fun enough. it’s about an hour south of me (Park Rapids).

don’t get talked into trying the pickle pizzas people like up here ;)

Reactions: Oldmanastro
Stop in KC.

Do NOT go to Arthur Bryan's BBQ.

Instead, go to Jack Stack.

Also- when in Minnesota-
I tell a story to people that I have walked across the water of the Mississippi River..... and it's true. I have. Of course, most folks assume I'm talking about the Mississippi River when it's in it's massive state- New Orleans or Memphis etc.

But in reality, if you head N by NW out of Minneapolis toward a lake called Winnibigoshish, there's a small bridge there- you can get out and literally walk across the Mississippi in the water. It's never more than about calf deep. Then for the rest of their lives, your kids can win bar bets for free drinks by saying "I bet you 2 beers I've walked across the Mississippi river"-- then produce a photo of them walking across the Mississippi River with a sign behind them that says "Mississippi River".

Well there is the Mall of the Americas. I'm not sure but I think it's the biggest mall in the world.

I don't know if you're family likes to fish but Lake Superior is the second largest lake in the world. I knew a man that showed me a picture of a man and his son going trout fishing there. I'm telling you that fish was huge.

The twins are playing outdoors again. Target is headquartered there. There's a lot of lakes in MN. Most Scandinavians who immigrated to America's settled in MN. So I guess there's a lot Scandinavian influence.

So Kansas just pissed me off. The whole I-35 corridor is a toll and cashless. I’m in a rental Jeep Wagoner (awesome btw, huge for the family) so I’m sure I got a big toll charge coming to me from Enterprise rental. How can I-35 be a fvcking toll. Wasn’t it built by our federal taxes?

• Sad
Reactions: duqu
So Kansas just pissed me off. The whole I-35 corridor is a toll and cashless. I’m in a rental Jeep Wagoner (awesome btw, huge for the family) so I’m sure I got a big toll charge coming to me from Enterprise rental. How can I-35 be a fvcking toll. Wasn’t it built by our federal taxes?
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the states have the right to do that if they want.

oh shit. that happened to me a few years ago. that sucks.

I believe in Texas the toll companies have to build a new road. Can’t just flip a current road into a toll.
It's like that in CA. One time my wife and I tried to go without paying. Nope camera caught us 😂. And outhereincali if you're late the bill triples 🤕 Hey it's how we pay for our taxes

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT