ADVERTISEMENT

Saturday scrimmage notes... (Updated: 7:50 pm)

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001

(Anwar)

Here are a few things I learned from Saturday's scrimmage:

- I was told Texas has more live periods on Saturday than previously. One person described it as a very lively practice.

- Texas EDGE Barryn Sorrell had his best day of practice on Saturday. I was told Sorrell was "killing it." Sorrell got to the quarterback often and made several plays.

- I asked if EDGE Trey Moore had an impact and one person told me they did not notice him.

- Longhorn RB Jaydon Blue received the most praise for his performance. I was told CJ Baxter played well, but Blue broke off multiple long runs.

- Texas quarterback Quinn Ewers was very consistent during the scrimmage. If he made any mistakes, it will have to be something the coaches see on film. Ewers was solid on Saturday.

- Speaking of quarterbacks, Arch Manning connected with TE Amari Niblack for a touchdown near the end of practice. I was told Niblack was "WIDE open" on that play. It sounded like there was a communication breakdown during that play. Overall, I was told Manning is playing with a lot of confidence this spring.

- I was told CB Malik Muhammad had a solid scrimmage. Muhammad is currently participating in Ramadan, which concludes on Tuesday. He has been fasting during the day and has performed well.

(Ketch)

Got these via text. The hope is to have a lot more later in the day, as we're all working our contacts.

* Person I communicated with said this was the first practice that he had seen this spring and was "really, really impressed" with the overall depth, size and athleticism of the team. Felt better about the state of the program today than he did at the same time last year.

* Mentioned that the defensive backfield has improved significantly and that the wide receivers had a tough time getting against both the first- and second-team defensive backfields. Mentioned Terrance Brooks and Kobe Blake as players that looked very good in coverage.

* Vernon Broughton got an attaboy.... attaboy, Vernon.

* Trey Moore was singled out as the transfer that this source stood out the most to him today, although he felt like the group as a whole had a quiet day.

* Scrimmages was described as "chippy" by one of the prospects that was on hand, while mentioning that "the defense set the tone."

* One person mentioned that Colin Simmons might have had his best practice of camp thus far.

* The running backs were told by Coach Choice before practice today that he didn't want to see any fumbles, so when CJ Baxter fumbled today, he was forced to do bear-crawls after practice.

* Multiple people mentioned that Jaydon Blue was the most impressive running back today.

* One recruit mentioned that he loved the smack talk that was taking place between the offense/defense, but admitted the defense backed it up.

* One offensive recruit said: "I'm going to give it up to the defense. Everyone had been telling me that the offense had been whupping them, but I give it up to the defense today. They did their thing."

* Super blue chip offensive lineman Lamont Rogers said that Trevor Goosby was the offensive lineman that stood out to him te most today.

* Ryan Wingo received major praise from multiple people on hand, including Dakorien Moore.

* Multiple people singled out Quinn Ewers for impressing.

* One person mentioned that "Neto Umeozulu is a stud".

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News