ADVERTISEMENT

Scrimmage notes from Saturday

Anwar Richardson

Staff
Apr 24, 2014
Texas held its first of two training camp scrimmages on Saturday. It began a little after 9:45 a.m.

Here is what I learned from my sources:

--- Texas WR Jordan Whittington hurt either his arm or shoulder during the scrimmage. I do not have the details at this moment. However, Whittington went to the locker room during the scrimmage and did not return.

--- Texas WR Xavier Worthy attended practice but was on the sidelines and did not participate.

--- Isaiah Neyor started at receiver with Worthy on the sidelines. In addition, Casey Cain and Johntay Cook received first-team reps.

--- Ewers threw an interception when Neyor ran the wrong route. In addition, Sanders fell on a pass attempt from Ewers when the tight end was wide open, while Cain dropped a pass.

--- Speaking of first-team reps, CJ Baxter received a few reps with the 1s on Saturday. Jonathon Brooks was the starting running back.

--- Andre Cojoe, who has an ankle injury, was limited today while running with the third-string.

--- Texas TE Ja’Tavion Sanders had a rough practice. Sanders caught a pass from Quinn Ewers for a 12-yard gain but fumbled after a Longhorn defender knocked the ball out of his hands. Sanders sustained a minor injury on that play and was at half speed after getting “banged up.”

--- Multiple sources told me the defense excelled on Saturday. I do not have the score but the Longhorns defense had a great day.

--- Quinn Ewers led the offense to two scoring drives in the red zone.

--- Texas backup quarterback Maalik Murphy played primarily with the second and third team. He received more backup reps than Arch Manning. However, threw an interception to freshman defensive back Malik Muhammad, who returned it 20-yards for a touchdown.

--- Murphy was also penalized for intentional grounding, which resulted in a loss of downs.

--- Keilan Robinson scored on a 45-yard touchdown run. It was a dive play.

--- One of the most spectacular plays of the day was a 70-yard touchdown run by freshman Arch Manning. After the play broke down, Manning took off and nobody on the Longhorn defense could catch him. One source told me Manning is a lot faster than expected.

--- There was a lot of mixing and matching on the offensive line.
Here was one starting lineup:
LT – Kelvin Banks
LG – Hayden Conner
C – Jake Majors
RG – DJ Campbell
RT – Christian Jones

Here was one 2nd string lineup:
LT – Trevor Goosby
LG – Neto Umeozulu
C – Cole Hutson
RG – Malik Abgo
RT – Cam Williams

--- The most interesting development within the second team is Goosby ran with the 2s as the back left tackle throughout Saturday’s scrimmage.

--- Ethan Burke had a good scrimmage. I was told Burke was constantly in the backfield.

--- Here is one of first-team defensive line lineup:
Right end – Ethan Burke
DT – T’Vondre Sweat
DT – Vernon Broughton
Left end – Alfred Collins

--- In addition, Kristopher Ross received first-team reps on the outside.

--- Texas freshman linebacker Anthony Hill received first-team reps. He also worked with the second-team.

When Hill was on the edge, T’Vondre Sweat and Alfred Collins were in the middle, with Barryn Sorrell on the opposite edge.

--- Longhorn freshman Spencer Shannon received third-team reps at tight end. He caught a 15-yard pass and looked good, according to my sources. In addition, Will Randle received third-team reps.

--- Tre Wisner received third-team reps at running back. He has a nice 15-yard run after Murphy was penalized for intentional grounding.

--- I was told Billy Walton was everywhere on Saturday. He recorded a sack while on third-team and was disruptive.

--- Cook was the primary punt returner on Saturday.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News