ADVERTISEMENT

So Charlie didn't kick anyone off the team

NikkiThompson

Jul 27, 2013
What a load of crap. I've been a fan of his since he took over the program because I love all football in Texas, but this makes me lose respect for him. Yes, the kids screwed up, but he still set the consequences and enforced them. Just like the kids need to own up to their actions he needs to own up to his.

Telling them they should probably go somewhere else is as good as saying you are kicked off the team!

Child please.

http://www.fatmanwriting.com/2015/03/charlie-strong-i-never-kicked-players.html

Originally posted by NikkiThompson:
What a load of crap. I've been a fan of his since he took over the program because I love all football in Texas, but this makes me lose respect for him. Yes, the kids screwed up, but he still set the consequences and enforced them. Just like the kids need to own up to their actions he needs to own up to his.

Telling them they should probably go somewhere else is as good as saying you are kicked off the team!

Child please.
Who cares? It's media spin during the off-season.... They gotta have something to write about.

The purge happened, I don't care how it happened!

The spin in this story is comical, don't let the media cloud your judgement.
Man up a little.

I see this as him saying I didn't kick them off the team they kicked themselves off by breaking the rules set. I see it no different than you telling your kid that you can have a cell phone but if I catch you going over minutes and data you'll lose it. They break the rule you take the phone. In reality they broke the rule so they caused the removal.

This is the least controversial off season controversy to come out in a while. His point was he gave the kids a chance to get on board and if they didn't want to be suggested that they move on.

It's accountability 101. As an adult you are 100% responsible for your actions. As long as you are aware of the consequences (which in this context they all were) you are 100% responsible for the consequence as well. That's Strong's mindset on this. The enforcer of the rules isn't responsible for your choices.

This is a stupid article.

They could have lived in the pit I suppose, Harrison did. This is pretty cut and dry and nothing has changed....

"I didn't kick them off," said Strong during his appearance on the program.
"So much was said about, 'He walks in here and he just starts getting
rid of guys.' I always look at it like this: With our coaching staff,
we've provided you a chance to just get it right and just do what we ask
you to do, and that's what it came down to. Any time you take over a
program, sometimes you're going to be challenged. I'm one of those
coaches where I make it about the players. I want them to always
understand that I'm going to do everything I can to make sure they're
successful.

"Now, some people don't want to hear the message, and
then when they decide that they want to run their own program, then I
tell them, 'You know what? This may not be the place for you. There's
other schools that would love to have you, so I just think that's
probably where you need to go.'"

So, in Charlie's mind, he didn't
kick anybody off the team, he just made it clear to them that they
should pursue other opportunities. Maybe we should all try to take this
approach in our own lives.

If you have ever played or been a part of college athletics then you would understand Charlies lingo here. From junior college to D-1 almost all coaches use this method to try and convince a player to move on and go in a different direction.

Originally posted by Falko:
If you have ever played or been a part of college athletics then you would understand Charlies lingo here. From junior college to D-1 almost all coaches use this method to try and convince a player to move on and go in a different direction.
Yup...

Originally posted by NikkiThompson:

Child please.
I interpret his response to mean:

I didn't kick you off team, you did. If you had obeyed the rules you would still be here, but you can't so you need to go somewhere else.

Do we really have to break it down to understand what he is saying?

Everybody knew these guys were dismissed because they can't follow rules.

Nikki you should be proud we have a coach trying to correct the mentally here.

Maybe that could be a reason Texas fell off the ledge.

Proud? I dunno. I think Alabama and the rest of the SEC is plenty proud when they win big while they are bending or breaking every rule in the book And lets be honest, we would all be plenty proud if we won a NC with a couple of guys who smoked pot every now and then. I would say its more of a calculated risk. He tied his hands behind his back in the short term with the hope that in the long term a culture change would lead to wins.

Either way this whole issue is just playing semantics. The kid who didn't fall in line were encouraged to play somewhere else. We all get it.

Proud? I dunno. I think Alabama and the rest of the SEC is plenty proud when they win big while they are bending or breaking every rule in the book And lets be honest, we would all be plenty proud if we won a NC with a couple of guys who smoked pot every now and then. I would say its more of a calculated risk. He tied his hands behind his back in the short term with the hope that in the long term a culture change would lead to wins.

Umm Reggie Bush comes to mind #vacated

Originally posted by horn01:

Either way this whole issue is just playing semantics. The kid who didn't fall in line were encouraged to play somewhere else. We all get it.
This is the mentality OU uses to justify guys like DGB and Mixon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT