Some interesting thoughts/ramifications on the scholarship limits and settlement

pied

RIP meroney04
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2001
This is women’s soccer focused account but will apply to a lot of non-football/basketball sports I think.

This is from Ohio State which had the HIGHEST revenue in any college athletic department in the country at $334 million and is very telling for how the NCAA lawsuit settlement is going to impact the college landscape. Those who think this is a good thing as saw the headline of 28 “potential” scholarships for women’s soccer might want to ask themselves if the athletic department with the most revenue is talking like our bullet points below how does that impact the majority of athletic departments which will ultimately funnel down the 349 women’s soccer programs if they opt into the settlement. Few highlights in the article that jumped out.

· Hopes the settlement will lay out a more concrete plan by the first quarter of 2025

· Bjork said the roster limits mean Ohio State will likely LOSE about 150 student-athletes.

· Bjork also discussed Ohio State's goal to keep all 36 of its Division I teams. "There is a lot of work to be done, a lot that is on the table," he said.

· “Some of those sports may start to look and act a little bit more like a club sport, but yet compete at the Division I level and still travel and still compete."

It is pretty easy to see a future with fewer Division 1 women’s soccer programs and there will be less opportunity at the Division 1 level even starting in 2025 due to roster limits for those conferences that opt-in. Overall anyone thinking this settlement is good for Olympic sports and specifically women’s soccer might want to think again.

Reactions: PDPickens

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.