ADVERTISEMENT

Some thoughts (and predictions) from UT's big recruiting weekend

Suchomel

Staff
Aug 10, 2001
Texas hosted an impressive group of 16 targets on official visits this weekend. OB was able to connect with several of them and we'll have detailed reports in the coming days, but some notes of interest ...

- It was a very productive weekend for Texas, with the Longhorns receiving high marks across the board. From the city of Austin to the coaches to the time with the current team members to the resources that UT and Austin can provide outside of football, it was nothing but positive reviews.

- When I say it was productive, I'm expecting multiple commitments to come out of this weekend. In fact, from what I'm hearing, as many as three minds are already made up. A couple of the guys that have been discussed as "silent commits" are denying they've made decisions, but other sources are saying that a few of these are all but done for Texas.

- Current commitment Brandon Brown said he's still happy with his Texas commitment and while he was decked out in UT gear today, he did basically say that Texas and LSU are tied. He'll visit Oklahoma next week. I wouldn't rule the Sooners out (maybe even Tennessee) but this one feels like it'll be the Longhorns or the Tigers. Tough one to read but from a UT perspective, you probably would have liked to have heard him list Texas as higher than LSU in the hours immediately following his UT visit.

- LB Jonathan Cunningham flat-out listed Texas as his top school coming out of the weekend. He was supposed to visit Kansas next weekend but said he may switch that up to Missouri. This feels like one that Texas should easily win if the staff continues to press for his commitment.

- I didn't give Texas much of a shot with DT Kevin Wynn coming into the weekend simply because I expected he'd stay in state and go to Georgia. That very well might wind up being true, but he really did seem to enjoy the trip. He mentioned repeatedly that the opportunities Texas has to network are something that was really impressive to him. I wouldn't pick Texas to win this one, but I do think the Longhorns are a stronger player than I thought they would be.

- I've had my FutureCast pick in for OL John Mills for a few months and I still feel good about that one coming out of the weekend.

- Still working to gather more intel on OL Lamont Rogers but from what I'm hearing, Texas would have had to REALLY knock it out the park to have a legitimate shot in that one.

- Dakorien Moore flew into Austin on Friday but I don't think he flew home today. Might be staying in town to spend some extra time with his family. Ketch mentioned it earlier, but I continue to really like UT's position with the 5-star standout.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News