ADVERTISEMENT

Soooooooo....

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
It sucks to be wrong.

At the end of the day, no one knows the stakes of reporting on this beat more than I do. Make a glib comment like "It's Austin" in January of 2011 inside of a message board thread and it might just be thrown in your face for the next 11+ years.

Plus, I like to be right. I like to win. No one in the market is more competitive than I am, for better or worse.

So, when I received a text message at roughly the same time the announcement was made by Texas SID John Bianco following Friday's practice, I knew what was waiting for me.

No excuses, my reporting from last night turned out to be wrong. Orangebloods was wrong. Specifically, more than anyone else, I was wrong.

I have no desire to run from that reality.

So, what happened? Here's a run down of thoughts.

1. Of course, we've circled back to our sources. No one really has a good answer for the situation. All of the people that we spoke with on Friday have access to the people involved and all were hearing the same thing with regards to Card being named the starter. Lots of shoulder shrugs.

2. I find it interesting that both of the primary Texas-based websites that we compete against reported similar information on the quarterback situation in the last 24 hours. That's not an attempt to throw blame or anything around. It's just an acknowledgement that weirdly everyone was kind of hearing the same thing and that no one was completely free of the damage of being wrong. Had one of the two reported something completely different, I feel like I might be able to better explain how this happened based on some clues it might have provided, but those clues don't exist.

3. (Note: I deleted this note. I thought it was an interesting thing to pass along, but I'm not down with co-signing what some feel are the implications and the last thing I want to do is pass the buck).

4. It's really strange how this was released. It goes against what Sarkisian said he was going to do as recent as 5pm yesterday. It was released through the team's head SID official. That has never happened as far back as I can remember.

5. I'm not going to write a novel. I'll just say that the goal is to always get it right. That's the goal moving forward. I know I'll be clowned on and that's just what comes with the territory. All you casn do is take the swings, get up and continue the daily grind.

Here's to a great season.

gk

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News