ADVERTISEMENT

Special Teams Coordinator? Why not divide it up

Bwilk55

Jan 24, 2016
Several coaches coming to the 40 acres in the new hires have ST coaching experience. It seems to me that having one guy in charge of special teams (especially if also a position coach) seems foolish. Dividing up the responsibility seems to make more sense to me.

FG unit - Jay Boulware would make sense here given his history teaching blocking to OL and TE
Punt Team - Boulware again, especially for the blockers. Maybe Hutzler Coleman or a DB coach for the men getting down to cover
Kick-off Team - Hutzler Coleman again would make sense. Someone aware of the defense personnel, knowing who can run and tackle
Kick Return - Boulware or Hutzler to coach up the blockers (who will be large skill position players) and Andre Coleman for coach up the return men. Andre was a prestigious returner himself in college and the NFL
Punt Return - Coleman Hutzler, especially since this is a defensive down and teams need to be coached up against fake punts. Andre Coleman again working with the return men.

Anyone with insight into this? Do teams typically divide things up or leave it up to one coach (especially when all 10 coaches are also position coaches)?

Reactions: westx
I'll be sure to pass on your suggestions to Tom. ;-)

NCAA limitations apply, of course. I'd assume that most schools have one ST coordinator with ultimate responsibility, and that most of the other coaches pitch in during drills.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bwilk55
It's not that simple. If you can find a great special teams coach, you have to let him run the entire special teams. IIRC, Frank beamer was the had coach of VT but also handled ALL the special teams duties.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT