ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday coordinator nuggets

Anwar Richardson

Staff
Apr 24, 2014
I checked in with my sources on Sunday afternoon, and was able to gather several Longhorn coordinator coaching nuggets to pass along to you:

--- From what I was told, Chris Ash agreed to become Texas’ defensive coordinator nearly a week ago. Ash considered taking the job at Ohio State, but wanted to challenge of improving Texas’ defense.

--- It appears Ash will have a two-year deal. His contract details will not be revealed for a few weeks. I will need a little more time to flush that out.

--- My sources believe Ash will arrive in Austin within the next two weeks for Alamo Bowl preparation. He is not expected to coach the team this month. However, he will have the ability to contact recruits once his contract is approved by the board of regents. At worst, Ash should hit the ground running in January.

--- Ash is the defensive coordinator. He is not the co-defensive coordinator.

--- Every defensive coach will have an opportunity to interview with Ash after the season, according to my sources inside the building.

--- In addition, my sources said LSU’s Joe Brady and USC’s Graham Harrell are still the top offensive coordinator candidates. However, neither candidate is a slam dunk. There are three to four other candidates on the secretive list if Brady or Harrell are not hired at Texas.

--- Once again, I was told by a person close to Herman that Herman does not believe the offense played so poorly this season that it needs an overhaul. Instead, I was told Herman’s main goal is to find a play-caller who matches his offensive philosophies. My interpretation of that information is once the smoke clears, there is a chance Herman’s hire may not have a lot of hype, but will have the attributes he desires.

--- It is hard to pinpoint a timeline on the offensive coordinator position. However, I sense the position will be filled before the bowl game.

I will keep you posted.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News