ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Fall Camp Part Deux

Kind of wild we will potentially have 7 of the 11 offensive starters be freshmen or sophomores. Super young team for sure. Whitt and Jones are the only 2 seniors I can think of. Majors and Bijan round it out. Super exciting, but also will cost us games.

Reactions: Metcalf #2
Hudson Standish:
  • Banks has a mild ankle sprain, he could've played through the pain in an actual game. He'll return to action in the near future.
  • Neto Umeozulu got a good amount of run with the 1s and RG and LG.
  • Sources still believe the EDGE position is a weak group, though they think this will be a more effective group than last year with Overshown providing more versatility. Burke has really shined and has been running mostly with 2s.

Our QB has no experience, our OL is young and leader is out for year, Our defense was severely ran upon and no pass rush. We have new punter and kicker . If this staff pulls off a 8 win year we better be thankful.
Absolutely

Hudson Standish:
  • Banks has a mild ankle sprain, he could've played through the pain in an actual game. He'll return to action in the near future.
  • Neto Umeozulu got a good amount of run with the 1s and RG and LG.
  • Sources still believe the EDGE position is a weak group, though they think this will be a more effective group than last year with Overshown providing more versatility. Burke has really shined and has been running mostly with 2s.
Missing on the transfer from TCU is going to hurt. They brought in talent on offense but couldn't get anything on the Dline. That will probably cost us a game or two.

Absolutely
Rule of thumb--

Take the total number of Freshman you have starting-- add them together.
Whatever number you come up with you can either add 1 or subtract 1.
This is the number of losses you can expect that season.

Know who told me that?
Bobby Bowden-- in 1992.

Missing on the transfer from TCU is going to hurt. They brought in talent on offense but couldn't get anything on the Dline. That will probably cost us a game or two.
There's still some talent on this defensive line. Collins, Murphy, Sorrell, Broughton, Coburn, Ovie, are all extremely talented guys. Then some of the younger guys like Tapp, Finkley, Burke, and Brown. It's just a matter of Kwiatkowski getting something out of these guys.

Reactions: westx
Rule of thumb--

Take the total number of Freshman you have starting-- add them together.
Whatever number you come up with you can either add 1 or subtract 1.
This is the number of losses you can expect that season.

Know who told me that?
Bobby Bowden-- in 1992.
Looks like we could have as many as 8 freshman and sophomores starting week 1 on offense. Gonna be some rough patches this year, that's for sure. I still think this is an 8 win team though.

There's still some talent on this defensive line. Collins, Murphy, Sorrell, Broughton, Coburn, Ovie, are all extremely talented guys. Then some of the younger guys like Tapp, Finkley, Burke, and Brown. It's just a matter of Kwiatkowski getting something out of these guys.
I'm not hearing anything about Brown getting time or even in the rotation.....

Latest from Reddit UT insiders:

Casey Cain, WR

A wide receiver that has definitely stepped up of late in fall camp is the former underrated three-star recruit and redshirt freshman Casey Cain. The sizable 6-foot-3 and 195-pound outside receiver Cain is clearly showing out in camp thus far, which continued on Aug. 20 in the scrimmage this weekend.
According to the scrimmage report from Inside Texas on Aug. 20 (paid content), Cain came up with a nice 25-yard catch on the sidelines on a nice ball from Ewers. He’s apparently also looking good when he gets those contested 50/50 balls tossed his way.
Cain reportedly had multiple nice catches in this scrimmage, which further proves that he deserves to get some key live-game reps early this season. If nothing else, Cain should be in consideration for the starting spot on the outside in the wake of the season-ending ACL tear to redshirt sophomore wide receiver Isaiah Neyor last weekend
Ja’Tavion Sanders, TE

At this point of fall camp, it’s becoming more and more clear that the most potent tight end in this position room is the former elite five-star recruit and sophomore Ja’Tavion Sanders. This Denton-Ryan High School product continues to impress in fall camp, and he apparently looked like one of the most dominant players in the second fall scrimmage this weekend.
It’s not only the threat that Sanders poses in the passing game that makes him such a potent tight end for Sark and the Longhorns. He also shows that he can thrive as a blocking tight end when necessary.
It sounds like Sanders made an impression on the staff in terms of the ability he showed in the blocking game in this scrimmage. He and sophomore tight end Gunnar Helm apparently remained the two best blockers at the position this weekend.
Yet, all we hear regarding Sanders’ performance in fall camp thus far is how stellar he looks in almost every phase of the game. To put the cherry on top of Sanders’ performance in the second scrimmage of fall camp, he apparently had a nice touchdown catch on a good ball from Ewers.
Sanders is heading into the 2022 season with the potential to become not just one of the best tight ends in the Big 12, but one of the most impressive in the entire country
Ethan Burke, EDGE

A newcomer to watch this fall that wasn’t expected to make an impact this early in his collegiate career is the former three-star Michigan Wolverines commit and true freshman edge rusher Ethan Burke. Texas looks to have found a gem in the former high school lacrosse star and Austin, TX, native Burke.
It sounds like Burke was a force to be reckoned with in the trenches for the second straight weekend. He also posed an immense threat to the offensive line on passing plays in the open practice back on Aug. 16.
From what we’re hearing coming out of this second fall scrimmage, it sounds like Burke could have already earned himself some rotational reps as a change of pace pass rusher this fall. The fact that he’s added some weight since summer conditioning means that his body is in better shape to compete against Power Five offensive linemen and tight ends.
Burke is giving the offensive line lots of issues on an ongoing basis in camp, and that was something that apparently stood out to everyone throughout the last week or so.
In a world where Burke rounds out fall camp on a high note, it wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest to see him inserted into some key pass rush situations this season.

That’ll be $9.95 please

I'm not hearing anything about Brown getting time or even in the rotation.....
Never said anything about him being in the rotation. Just stating that some of these younger guys have some talent. Namely Finkley and Burke from the sounds of it. Both guys are probably going to get on the field sooner rather than later.

I wonder how much weight Ethan Burke has put on since high school. He is listed as 6'7 234 lbs. Seems a little thin, but if he can get to the QB, who cares about his weight.

Reactions: Oldmanastro
I wonder how much weight Ethan Burke has put on since high school. He is listed as 6'7 234 lbs. Seems a little thin, but if he can get to the QB, who cares about his weight.
I remember reading he put on a bunch of weight since last January. He has the frame to play around 260 or so. He could end up being a really nice player for the next 4 years. Sounds like he’s the only guy giving Banks any problems.

Reactions: westx
Here’s an interesting YouTube video by Coach Flood that was recorded recently. Gets into his coaching gap scheme combos.

Length and leverage >>>>> weight
My brother was telling me today that Burke was an outstanding lacrosse part in hs.

That's a sport where you can run around with a stick and hit people as hard as you want. The great fb player Jim Brown was a great lacrosse player.

Can this be an asset in playing fb?

Reactions: weevilcatch
Length and leverage >>>>> weight
Burke is now my fave player to follow on D. He was a nationally ranked lacrosse player in HS and was recruited by some national powers in that sport including Maryland and Michigan.

Length, leverage, agility, and fast twitch quickness are all really important in lacrosse and will be directly transferable to an edge rusher role. He'll be interesting to follow over the next few years.

Last edited:
My brother was telling me today that Burke was an outstanding lacrosse part in hs.

That's a sport where you can run around with a stick and hit people as hard as you want. The great fb player Jim Brown was a great lacrosse player.

Can this be an asset in playing fb?
The bigger question is will sark make the most of the kid's potential? 😉

Last edited:
Today, a Keilan Robinson video came up on my youtube feed. I haven’t seen the video, but has anybody else completely forgotten about him as I did? The dude is fast and he made some killer special teams plays last year. What is the scoop on his fall camp thus far?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT