ADVERTISEMENT

TEXAS - KState Game Thread !

If he has accepted(I doubt he has) then yes at the very least Texas should announce Herman won’t be back, and then sometime after Kansas next week announce Meyer and let him get to work... This was supposed to be the last game of the season had it not been for the outbreak at KU, so no harm really in announcing a decision on Herman this week if indeed you have a yes from Urban

So you think we should fire TH this week and announce UM as the new coach? And then what?

Why would you announce it with 1 game left in the season? Do you realize how many people in that building have jobs directly tied to TH being hired as the HC. Do you know how many a$$holes will pucker when that happens?

Who's going to coach vs Kansas? If you are going to keep assistants are you going to have UM come in when you announce it, so he can address everyone?

In addition, what behind the scenes insight do you have into the personal behaviors of UM to come to the conclusion that he has or hasn't accepted the job.

In an early post on this or another thread, you suggested that UM doesn't want to coach. He just likes all the attention he gets when he is tied to different openings. How did you come to that conclusion? Does anything about the way Urban Meyer has ever presented himself in the media or in public suggest that he is someone that likes to be the center of attention? He doesn't look comfortable when Quinn, Bush, and Lienart try to ask him about job openings during their show.

You can talk about Saban and Alabama all you want, but I guarantee you that Nick Saban has never publicly accepted a coaching position that wasn't vacant. That's not how real coaches operate.

Reactions: weevilcatch
So you think we should fire TH this week and announce UM as the new coach? And then what?

Why would you announce it with 1 game left in the season? Do you realize how many people in that building have jobs directly tied to TH being hired as the HC. Do you know how many a$$holes will pucker when that happens?

Who's going to coach vs Kansas? If you are going to keep assistants are you going to have UM come in when you announce it, so he can address everyone?

In addition, what behind the scenes insight do you have into the personal behaviors of UM to come to the conclusion that he has or hasn't accepted the job.

In an early post on this or another thread, you suggested that UM doesn't want to coach. He just likes all the attention he gets when he is tied to different openings. How did you come to that conclusion? Does anything about the way Urban Meyer has ever presented himself in the media or in public suggest that he is someone that likes to be the center of attention? He doesn't look comfortable when Quinn, Bush, and Lienart try to ask him about job openings during their show.

You can talk about Saban and Alabama all you want, but I guarantee you that Nick Saban has never publicly accepted a coaching position that wasn't vacant. That's not how real coaches operate.
Lol as I’ve said 1,000 times. No one is asking Urban Meyer to publicly accept the job while Tom Herman is still the coach. The only thing the Texas brass is asking for is some assurance privately that he will take the job, and I think that is fair considering the amount of money Texas is about to invest. I mean between buying out Herman, any assistants Urban doesn’t want, Ubran’s contract and new assistants your taking about a 100 million dollar investment from Texas. Those kinds of agreements happen all the time in college sports it’s not that out of the ordinary, and Urban knows that.
As far as why fire Herman with one week to go? It’s very simple. First of all next week is a makeup week. Today was the scheduled end of the season. Secondly in a normal season last week would of been the end of the season, so you are already a week behind where you would be normally, so every week you wait to actually put things in motion puts you further and further behind. Best to get the ball rolling ASAP.

I’ll tell ya if you can’t get Urban Meyer Steve Sarkisian is an intriguing option. He wouldn’t be my top non Urban choice, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he succeeds in a big way wherever he ends up.

Lol as I’ve said 1,000 times. No one is asking Urban Meyer to publicly accept the job while Tom Herman is still the coach. The only thing the Texas brass is asking for is some assurance privately that he will take the job, and I think that is fair considering the amount of money Texas is about to invest. I mean between buying out Herman, any assistants Urban doesn’t want, Ubran’s contract and new assistants your taking about a 100 million dollar investment from Texas. Those kinds of agreements happen all the time in college sports it’s not that out of the ordinary, and Urban knows that.
As far as why fire Herman with one week to go? It’s very simple. First of all next week is a makeup week. Today was the scheduled end of the season. Secondly in a normal season last week would of been the end of the season, so you are already a week behind where you would be normally, so every week you wait to actually put things in motion puts you further and further behind. Best to get the ball rolling ASAP.

Do you think before you post? Do you know anyone named Ryan?

You have no idea what assurance that UM has given CDC, because it's private. You evidently want a public acknowledgment that we have received a private assurance. How that is different than a public acceptance is beyond me.

If you fire TH on Monday, who coaches the team vs Kansas? Do you want to hire Meyer so, he can start recruiting? Will he be hiring his own staff, and when will those hires be made? When will you start firing assistants?

He has talked to them and for all we know, he has accepted. Do you expect them to announce the terms of the contract while we still have a coach? It's called discretion.

Do you think that out President and AD flew across the country to ask UM for his grandma's pumpkin pie recipe?
it was Thanksgiving..........

Do you think before you post? Do you know anyone named Ryan?

You have no idea what assurance that UM has given CDC, because it's private. You evidently want a public acknowledgment that we have received a private assurance. How that is different than a public acceptance is beyond me.

If you fire TH on Monday, who coaches the team vs Kansas? Do you want to hire Meyer so, he can start recruiting? Will he be hiring his own staff, and when will those hires be made? When will you start firing assistants?
You can announce Herman isn’t returning in 2021 and he can coach the team at Kansas. That happens all the time. If they decided not to do that Chris Ash could be the interim coach for a week

I’m not asking for a public declaration from anyone, but I’m going to assume that had Texas gotten some sort of indication from Urban Meyer that he is willing to come. People in the know would be indicating as such. Since that hasn’t happened and in fact everything that I have read says that Texas is waiting for Meyer to day one way or another that is what I’m going off of.
The over all point though is it’s time to put things in motion if you are going to. The longer you wait the further behind you are.

Once OU beats Baylor, and eliminates any theoretical possibility of Texas playing in the big 12 championship game, I would expect a decision on Herman.
That would be tomorrow.

I’m basing my thinking on the last report we had which was Meyer didn’t want to commit one way or another until there was a job open. Assuming that is still the case I can understand why that is a problem for CDC.

1. If Meyer isn’t coming CDC’s thinking May behes better off keeping Herman for another season. If that’s the case he’s not going to want to make a move before Meyer commits(or not)

2. The absolute worst position CDC could find himself in is to fire Herman get jilted by Meyer and have no obvious plan B, and certainly no plan B that is a slam dunk.
So I get why he wants some idea of where this thing is headed before it becomes a run away train.

If you believe half of the things written or said about TH, there is no way you can fire him and then allow him to walk around the building for a week. So your going to fire TH on Monday and then call Ash in and tell him that he's in charge on Saturday. So, he has to deal with all the shite associated with the HC being fired and develop and implement a game plan.

I guess that you are under the conclusion that every player in our locker room is just going to accept the news that TH is gone and there will be no fallout. Just because we want TH gone doesn't mean that's what the players want.

The other option is to just wait 1 week and then you have 3-4 weeks to deal with everything.

I don't buy that report. Meyer knows the business. He would not place such a condition.

When Nick Saban was ask whether he would be interested in Texas before Mack Brown was fired, he told the reporter that Texas had a coach and that the Mack Brown was a close personal friend.

Coaches do not accept jobs that are not already open. It's a sign of respect within the coaching community.

You know Baylor played hard tonight. Their defense did as good a job as anybody against OK's offense this year especially in the first half. The Baylor defense has played well this year.

Reactions: Crimson_Warrior
You know Baylor played hard tonight. Their defense did as good a job as anybody against OK's offense this year especially in the first half. The Baylor defense has played well this year.

BU has a lot of good athletes in their front seven. OU's defense played pretty hard too. ;)

I understand Saban isn’t coaching at Texas but we tried to get him, and he openly considered while Mack was still coaching. It ultimately got scuttled but it happened so the idea that negoations and handshake agreements don’t happen in the background is silly. Hell Jimmy Sexton the agent for all these coaches whenever a job like Texas is even rumored to be open all his clients get extensions. He’s a master at playing the behind the curtain game.

Look CDC and the BMD’s aren’t looking for some public declaration live on Fox thar Urban is coming to Texas. All they want is a private answer to 3 questions.

Do you want to coach?
How much money do you want?
If contractual terms are meant would you take the job?

and imo that’s perfectly reasonable. Is that the way it’s done in any other job? No but most jobs don’t involve close to a hundred million dollars exchanging hands.

Saban openly considered the job huh? I don't remember that. I don't remember Saban coming out in the middle of his season at Alabama in 2013. Hell, I don't even remember anyone talking about it seriously. Only remember Saban saying he wouldn't take a job that isn't open.

I'm not saying the backroom handshake bullshit doesn't happen. I'm saying it is assbackward and not coach worth a shit will come here if that is the way Texas does business. If you don't think you have a winner, fire his ass. You don't go looking for a coach to say yes before a job is available. That's chickenshit. Sorry you don't agree.

Last edited:
Reactions: dj701919
I’m basing my thinking on the last report we had which was Meyer didn’t want to commit one way or another until there was a job open. Assuming that is still the case I can understand why that is a problem for CDC.

1. If Meyer isn’t coming CDC’s thinking May behes better off keeping Herman for another season. If that’s the case he’s not going to want to make a move before Meyer commits(or not)

2. The absolute worst position CDC could find himself in is to fire Herman get jilted by Meyer and have no obvious plan B, and certainly no plan B that is a slam dunk.
So I get why he wants some idea of where this thing is headed before it becomes a run away train.

And it's a stupid ass way to think.

You either believe in the guy you have or you don't. Fish or cut bait man, shit.

You don't keep a coach you don't believe in because you don't know if you are going to get the guy you want.

You fire him because you don't believe in him and then you go hire a coach that you believe can take you to a championship. I know this may be mind boggling to some people, but there are more than 4 coaches in college football capable of leading programs to a NC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT