ADVERTISEMENT

Texas-Nevada Thread

5a8b6f25e90665187fd310d9188ad48d.jpg

I would not recruit kids who cannot shoot free throws.......Shaka has to be one of the most overrated coaches in America.....and dont give me that "our best shooter was out for the year" crap. Shaka does not know how to adjust or make halftime adjustments...it is what it is. He has next year and anything less than sweet 16......kick him to the curb

He had to go man. He lost his mojo. His last 5-6 years at Texas were pretty pedestrian.
not going to argue with you about that, in fact I agree with you. Just the same, Barnes is doing quite well at Tenn. I don't see our new AD sticking with Smart if this continues

Reactions: weevilcatch
not going to argue with you about that, in fact I agree with you. Just the same, Barnes is doing quite well at Tenn. I don't see our new AD sticking with Smart if this continues

Barnes is a terrific coach. I'm not surprised he is doing well at Tenn. like Robo said, sometimes you just need a new place to recharge your batteries. And he HS done that.

I'm now a Tennessee fan the rest of the way.

All I know is that he needs to figure out why he keeps blowing leads in the second half. It’s like they start playing to not lose and loose any momentum. It’s rediculouse it’s happened this many times this year and he still does the same thing. I have serious doubts in Shaka. He loses to teams that have much less talent. I say can him.

He will get another year because of his contract. I think he’s too soft, wants to be a friend to the kids. I like angry coaches! Ones that will rip the kids a new one when they need it. Not feeling good about the future of Texas Basketball.

I've got an open contract out on the dude that invented TV time outs. It won't end pretty.
When I was a little boy, they didn't have near as many timeouts in football. As tv revenue increased, commercial timeouts were invented. My dad would say:"time out for a commercial".

Texas basketball has been mediocre and unwatchable for years. I couldn’t watch the last minute of the game because I knew we would blow it. If Shaka can not change coaching strategy and recruiting then he has to go. Unfortunately I think all of college basketball is headed into the crapper unless they go to allowing players to go straight to the NBA out of high school or go to college for 3 years minimum.

Reactions: HornDrummer
Texas basketball has been mediocre and unwatchable for years. I couldn’t watch the last minute of the game because I knew we would blow it. If Shaka can not change coaching strategy and recruiting then he has to go. Unfortunately I think all of college basketball is headed into the crapper unless they go to allowing players to go straight to the NBA out of high school or go to college for 3 years minimum.

And allow kids to go back to school if they don't get drafted.

Reactions: HornDrummer

Yup.. He can go sit by Charlie,and then Herman will be along later on,curbs gonna be standing room only pretty soon.. lol

Hook'em

46.3 percent from the field. Good. 45.8 from the 3. Excellent. 55.6 percent free throws. Crap. I don't think that's coaching. While the offense looks stagnant, Texas does get open shots which after all is the point. The story of this season: The players have consistently failed to make shots they are capable of making...not Shaka.

46.3 percent from the field. Good. 45.8 from the 3. Excellent. 55.6 percent free throws. Crap. I don't think that's coaching. While the offense looks stagnant, Texas does get open shots which after all is the point. The story of this season: The players have consistently failed to make shots they are capable of making...not Shaka.

Maybe Shaka should have them practice free throws

Reactions: cml7374
I loved the Shaka hire but Nevada is a known 3 pt team. They had lousy 1st half and we paid for it the 2nd half and we made no adjustment in the 2nd half to counter their 3pt shooting. Good guys were sagging down to the middle to help ... bad guys threw it to open outside shooters and swish. Why not put your faith in Bamba and tell him we are covering the outside so it’s on you to control the inside but noooo, bad guys hit 3 after 3 after 3. I don’t get it .... good guys made NO adjustment in .2nd half. I hated to see them lose but my blood pressure is happy.

Maybe Shaka should have them practice free throws

I assume you are being facetious, because all college level players practice shooting all sorts of shots for hours on end and have been doing so since they were in elementary school.

If Roach makes 2 free throws instead of missing the front end of a one and one and no one is talking about half time adjustments, no one is talking about half court offense, and no one is talking about firing Shaka. Instead we're talking about the great game played by Roach and Coleman and how good guard play is the key to advancing.

I’ve noticed this trend over the last few years, but it’s pronouced this year

Trea young-out in the first round
Mo bamba-out in the first round
Sexton. In the 2nd round.
Alton of AZ- out in the first round
Porter JR first round

One and done just don’t get you where you need to go on March. The only way it really works is if you can get 4-5 of them together like Kentucky has done or put one in with an already really good team.

If you look at Bill Self or Roy Williams. Even coach K to an extent. Their success has been built on upper classmen more so than one and done types.

Even though Texas loses bamba next year I’d bet on them being a better over all team because their top 5-6 guys(assuming no one gets stupid and tries to go to the NBA) are going to be a lot more experienced.

I assume you are being facetious, because all college level players practice shooting all sorts of shots for hours on end and have been doing so since they were in elementary school.

If Roach makes 2 free throws instead of missing the front end of a one and one and no one is talking about half time adjustments, no one is talking about half court offense, and no one is talking about firing Shaka. Instead we're talking about the great game played by Roach and Coleman and how good guard play is the key to advancing.

So why are the highly recruited players Shaka recruits suck at shooting? They didn’t suck in high school.

"If Roach makes 2 free throws instead ofmissing the front end of a one and one and no one is talking about half time adjustments, no one is talking about half court offense, and no one is talking about firing Shaka."

Wrong Mang......anyone who has watched this team all year long would STILL be talking about all of the above.

So why are the highly recruited players Shaka recruits suck at shooting? They didn’t suck in high school.
“They didn’t suck in high school”. That’s a stupid argument. Nobody playing D1 sports sucked in high school. They were all the top one or two kids on their respective high school teams.

I don’t think it has anything to do with his recruits sucking at shooting. Coleman improved his offensive game as the season went along. The book on him coming out of high school was he was a pass first guy with limited offensive skills. That’s not the book on him.

Roach has come a LONG way offensively. I think a lot of players fall in to his catagorey. I think in high school he was such a better athlete than everyone else he never had to work to be great. In college he had to figure out that everyone was a great athlete. He finally bought in and went to work, and it showed this year.

Jase- he struggled his freshman year. Most freshman struggle their freshman year.

That to me is how the one and done has hurt college ball. Every freshman is expected to come in and be a stud, and the truth is the great freshman are the exception not the rule

I think Shaka is doing fine. Players Ovbiously get better under him you just look at Roach, Coleman, jones(before he got sick) even young got better.

My one critique of his job so far is I would stay away from recruiting the elite big men. Guys like Bamba,and Allan are incredibly talented but big guys take a while to develop and they just aren’t going to give you there best basketball. Their best basketball is likely coming after they leave.

I would build my team around elite guards and raw talented, maybe even underrecruited big men(like Simms). Go get players like he had at VCU and add a big man you like to that. Don’t build a team around an elite big man. It’s not going to work that often.

"If Roach makes 2 free throws instead ofmissing the front end of a one and one and no one is talking about half time adjustments, no one is talking about half court offense, and no one is talking about firing Shaka."

Wrong Mang......anyone who has watched this team all year long would STILL be talking about all of the above.

Go check the thread titled "Let's See If We Can Finish" It was posted after the WVU victory. A game with all the normal, ugly basketball Texas plays, but no one in that thread was talking about firing Shaka. Yeah, there was some grumbling as the thread extended to comments about the ISU tournament game, but of course since Texas won that one too, there was no fire Shaka. "Fire Shaka' experts only show after a loss.

Our team doesn't shoot well. End of story.

Last edited:
Charlie Mang......you are right this team didnt shoot well. But if you have watched all year you will see that they are stagnant on offense and dont move without the ball especially when the games get close. Listen i like your dad Shaka, i think hes a good guy just dont think he or his coaches around him know how to adjust when other teams are actually coaching. Thats a coaching issue

Go check the thread titled "Let's See If We Can Finish" It was posted after the WVU victory. A game with all the normal, ugly basketball Texas plays, but no one in that thread was talking about firing Shaka. Yeah, there was some grumbling as the thread extended to comments about the ISU tournament game, but of course since Texas won that one too, there was no fire Shaka. "Fire Shaka' experts only show after a loss.

Our team doesn't shoot well. End of story.

What’s wrong with working for high percentage shots? And 3’s aren’t high percentage! If you establish the inside the outside become higher. This team does/did not work on the offensive end!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT