ADVERTISEMENT

Texas vs. Baylor MBB

BringBackRoyal

Jan 3, 2004
Texas managed just six points during the first 11 minutes of the first half. Now we have just five points in the first six-plus minutes of the second half. In f*cking Austin.

Baylor leads 35-27 with under 14 minutes to play.

Baylor leads 41-39 and has the ball at the under-8:00 TV TO. Texas is currently 1-15 (.067 LOL) from BTA and 15-49 (.306) overall.

Oh God what an awful display. Glad I didn't watch or listen to that. How does Craig Way keep himself from dropping F bombs repeatedly?

That offense is horrid. BU plays that ridiculous zone that I played in 7th grade in the 1970's. All you have to do is plant a guy in the middle at the free throw line, dump it in, and you have a mini 2 on 1 fast break with a freak giant ready for a dunk-a-thon.. That's why Baylor can never beat the good teams. And yet not once. ONCE, in 50 minutes of basketball did I see UT set up with a man in the middle. Just the same old pick and roll with a guard trying to dribble through 5 players, and three point shooters that can't shoot. Bamba for once looked like the best player on the floor, but they are really handicapped by the lack of an offensive game plan.

You can always tell the difference in a well coached team and a poorly coached team by how they look in their half court offense.

Lots of teams look good in transition because that's playground ball. Very few know what to do in the half court game. Shaka has NO clue and neither do his players.

I really wanted Shaka to be the answer at UT. He has been exposed however. Not a D1 coach. Perhaps 5A ball.

Reactions: diadevic
That offense is horrid. BU plays that ridiculous zone that I played in 7th grade in the 1970's. All you have to do is plant a guy in the middle at the free throw line, dump it in, and you have a mini 2 on 1 fast break with a freak giant ready for a dunk-a-thon.. That's why Baylor can never beat the good teams. And yet not once. ONCE, in 50 minutes of basketball did I see UT set up with a man in the middle. Just the same old pick and roll with a guard trying to dribble through 5 players, and three point shooters that can't shoot. Bamba for once looked like the best player on the floor, but they are really handicapped by the lack of an offensive game plan.

you spelled "clogged toilet" wrong

i wouldn't say he's not a D-1 coach-- he did take a team to the final four. but when vcu made him give up the word "havoc", he must have thought he had to leave that philosophy behind too. gotta get back to who got you the job in the first place, and it sure wasn't that abomination of an offense.

i'll say this too. i don't believe (and i'm too lazy to look it up) he ever finished higher than 3rd in the conference even at vcu. conference games are better scouted. his inability to succeed even with nba talent at a mid-major should have been a red flag. now... we get to the tourney, we're dangerous, because those teams don't have the hours available to do as good a job scouting. so there is that. but i don't know. i'm sure they'll suck me back in this weekend somehow.

you spelled "clogged toilet" wrong

i wouldn't say he's not a D-1 coach-- he did take a team to the final four. but when vcu made him give up the word "havoc", he must have thought he had to leave that philosophy behind too. gotta get back to who got you the job in the first place, and it sure wasn't that abomination of an offense.

i'll say this too. i don't believe (and i'm too lazy to look it up) he ever finished higher than 3rd in the conference even at vcu. conference games are better scouted. his inability to succeed even with nba talent at a mid-major should have been a red flag. now... we get to the tourney, we're dangerous, because those teams don't have the hours available to do as good a job scouting. so there is that. but i don't know. i'm sure they'll suck me back in this weekend somehow.

Supposedly we are running some kind of "pro" offense which sucks in the recruits because it tends to showcase "talent and creativity".... problem being most of these guys never mastered the high school half court offense because their talent was so insanely off the charts that they never needed to. We need to get someone in to help SS run some basic stuff. I am sure that these guys would succeed if the offense were more vanilla and less artistic and more bloody inside the paint. Our team docs need to be sewing stitches and setting noses on a weekly basis.

Last edited:
artistic??? i know i'm picking on one word, but this offense is the furthest thing from artistic. it's bullsh pick and roll and 3 guys watching, followed by another pick and roll and 3 guys watching, followed by... well, you get it. kansas runs real offense and it doesn't seem to hurt their kids' pro prospects. steal that. steal brad underwood's offense. heck, steal gonzaga's offense, which is shockingly similar, only they have actual wrinkles built in. steal something. or just press all over the floor and beat people with depth and grit like west virginia (who also runs awful offense but makes up for it in other ways).

Turned the game off at halftime......figured it might come down to free throw shooting and making clutch free throws....so i chalked it up as a loss

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT