ADVERTISEMENT

The media and the Strong-Texas situation

westx

Dec 6, 2009
I have been wondering for a while about the differing media analysis of the Texas situation. We have people like Herbstreit and many others with their non-stop diatribe against Texas. These analysts are saying crap that is uncontested to the facts. Herbstreit is over the line in his assessment. The only thing he got right in the attached video is that whoever is the HC at Texas has to deal with boosters and the media. I really like Charlie, but dammit, if he didn't know about dealing with boosters, then that is just one more thing other than game prepping that Charlie mishandled. YES-F'ing Kirk when you sign a 5 million dollar a year contract at Texas you know it is part of it. Most major D1 schools are the same sh*t. What about OU, Kirk? They have been complaining about Stoops for several years-Yes in the chat rooms and even Skip Bayless on national TV on your F'ing network. What about the death threats at Alabama when Bill Curry was hired in the 80s F'ink Kirk? (http://articles.latimes.com/1987-01-06/sports/sp-2580_1_tide-coach). What about Bobby Bowden leaving in tears from the program he built, Kirk? Hmmm? Was Florida State pressuring its famed coach from the outcry from the fanbase, talk shows, chat rooms? Hmmm? Oh, and how did Earle Bruce leave tOSU? Hmmm, Kirk? I recall a lot of tears in his eye with the tOSU band played at his home's doorstep.(http://articles.latimes.com/1988-01-17/sports/sp-36807_1_big-ten-championship). I know we could all go on and on of numerous examples at other universities. These people expect Texas to dish out over $5,000,000 plus all the perks and not expect anything in return. Insanity

Message to Perrin. Hire a PR person to call these frauds out. DO NOT let this bad press on our beloved university go uncontested. Bad press has long lasting consequences with recruits across the board-not just football. The boosters are on their own and don't speak for the university. The university did back Strong. The fans and chat rooms and radio talk shows are part of our lives in this day and age with all major men's sports at all major D1 schools. How does a university put a lid on that? You want the university to censor the fans and then bash the university for censoring? Charlie's record, unprepared game strategies, unaccountable assistants and questionable in game decisions got him fired. Let our PR person frame the questions on what any normal university do. Let our PR person ask about how the Longhorns have declined by season's end instead of playing their best ball. Finally, let our PR person tell these morons that anybody receiving $5,000,000 per year at any job will have pressure to perform whether it is Texas, bama or whoever.

Herbstreits Cesspool diatribe:
http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=17744439

I have been wondering for a while about the differing media analysis of the Texas situation. We have people like Herbstreit and many others with their non-stop diatribe against Texas. These analysts are saying crap that is uncontested to the facts. Herbstreit is over the line in his assessment. The only thing he got right in the attached video is that whoever is the HC at Texas has to deal with boosters and the media. I really like Charlie, but dammit, if he didn't know about dealing with boosters, then that is just one more thing other than game prepping that Charlie mishandled. YES-F'ing Kirk when you sign a 5 million dollar a year contract at Texas you know it is part of it. Most major D1 schools are the same sh*t. What about OU, Kirk? They have been complaining about Stoops for several years-Yes in the chat rooms and even Skip Bayless on national TV on your F'ing network. What about the death threats at Alabama when Bill Curry was hired in the 80s F'ink Kirk? (http://articles.latimes.com/1987-01-06/sports/sp-2580_1_tide-coach). What about Bobby Bowden leaving in tears from the program he built, Kirk? Hmmm? Was Florida State pressuring its famed coach from the outcry from the fanbase, talk shows, chat rooms? Hmmm? Oh, and how did Earle Bruce leave tOSU? Hmmm, Kirk? I recall a lot of tears in his eye with the tOSU band played at his home's doorstep.(http://articles.latimes.com/1988-01-17/sports/sp-36807_1_big-ten-championship). I know we could all go on and on of numerous examples at other universities. These people expect Texas to dish out over $5,000,000 plus all the perks and not expect anything in return. Insanity

Message to Perrin. Hire a PR person to call these frauds out. DO NOT let this bad press on our beloved university go uncontested. Bad press has long lasting consequences with recruits across the board-not just football. The boosters are on their own and don't speak for the university. The university did back Strong. The fans and chat rooms and radio talk shows are part of our lives in this day and age with all major men's sports at all major D1 schools. How does a university put a lid on that? You want the university to censor the fans and then bash the university for censoring? Charlie's record, unprepared game strategies, unaccountable assistants and questionable in game decisions got him fired. Let our PR person frame the questions on what any normal university do. Let our PR person ask about how the Longhorns have declined by season's end instead of playing their best ball. Finally, let our PR person tell these morons that anybody receiving $5,000,000 per year at any job will have pressure to perform whether it is Texas, bama or whoever.

Herbstreits Cesspool diatribe:
http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=17744439
Here's the nightmare scenario........

We fvck around and beat tcu.

We get to a bowl game.

We host some sec team.

We win the bowl game (somehow).

It will be the most epic sh!t show in history.......

Here's the nightmare scenario........

We fvck around and beat tcu.

We get to a bowl game.

We host some sec team.

We win the bowl game (somehow).

It will be the most epic sh!t show in history.......

Don't think Charlie coaches a bowl game.

Don't think Charlie coaches a bowl game.
Why not? The AD said he would wait until "after the season is complete" to make his decision.

Technically the bowl game is part of the season......

CxvvuNVVEAAiIyg.jpg

According to our fearless leader it happens after TCU.

Perrin doesn't seem to have a good grasp on how to handle things, and I suppose he could drag this out until after a bowl game but if we don't hear something at the press conference today, it should be soon after Friday's game.

Leaving Strong to twist in the wind like a piñata is classless, Perrin.

Yea, I really thought bringing Perrin in as an interim AD was a good deal when it happened.

He would have been alright if they would have gone ahead and hired an AD instead of keeping him around for another year.

He's clearly struggling now.

worst case scenario: we destroy TCU and players carry Charlie off the field and we make a bowl. He still fired?? I think so, but just might not look very good .

Leaving Strong to twist in the wind like a piñata is classless, Perrin.

Perrin and the boosters have turned this into a world class circus. Whether Strong is gone or not, Perrin has done nothing to indicate to potential incoming coaches that UT runs a tight ship. It looks like a joke, right now. Reports Strong is gone, Strong saying he's heard nothing, players wanting to boycott to support their coach, then the AD comes out and says he's not gone. If you were Herman or Miles, would you want to go to UT?

Van Pelt = responsible reporting.
http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=18110538

The only thing is that Texas the University (Perrin/Fenves) wanted to wait until the end of the season which is customary by most team's standards-college and pro. I believe that is the right thing to do and the right strategy even though we all know the inevitable. This is the case at the end of every NFL season-Black Monday. Why isn't everybody (media) complaining about these coaches who are "Dead Men Walking"? I appreciate our BMDs and respect them, but, a lot of this nonsense is an embarrassment to the university. In addition, all of these anonymous sources leaking information makes it impossible to properly carry out a simple or proper termination protocol.

win or lose, he has to go after the TCU game...if he doesn't....we are fvkd

banghead.gif

In all honesty --- I don't think its as bad as you guys make it out to be. The guy has a 16-20 record, AND a loss to Kansas. That will get you fired at every single school included in the Top 20 programs of all time. ESPN has hours of programming to fill in during the day. 30 years ago they filled it with Australian Rules Football. Its now replaced with Herbstreit, Finebaum, Steven A. Smith, formerly Skip Bayless, and whoever else shouts the loudest or gives the hottest opinion. They are just spewing verbal diarrhea to fill time. The Kansas loss made this an easy decision, and any person without an agenda can see it clearly.

Yes. Herman has said many times Texas is his dream job. Clumsiness won't deter him.

That may turn out to be the case, but I remember with Kansas State (I can't remember the specific coach's name) when they were replacing Snyder a leak happened that they'd hired his replacement. Reportedly the coach, who was formerly with KSU and was a Kansas kid I believe, got so pissed at how everything was handled he withdrew from consideration. It didn't matter that he wanted the job, what mattered was how it was perceived and what he was walking into.

Herman may very well want the UT job, but if you're him, and a premier program is knocking and runs a tight ship, even if you want the UT job wouldn't you consider moving to a place that appears to be less chaotic? UT has many advantages for sure, but the coaches are also businessmen and even if you REALLY want something, if the timing or situation doesn't fit, you do what's best for you and your family.

I'd like to hear from other Blue Blood programs fans if they'd want the head coach fired after a 6-7, 5-7 and possibly 5-7 record? Seriously this isn't rocket science.

That's a BS metric though because blue bloods are in different stages. If the program was depleted of talent and had some serious rebuilding to do, then I would hope most fans would understand it takes time. The worst thing a program can do is to be too quick on the trigger because it conveys a negative image to potential coaches. Strong isn't leaving the cupboard bare - even his detractors admit that - so it's not like keeping him will detrimentally hurt the program.

If you look at the top 25 programs of all time, you're going to see coaches who proved to be good. Woody Hayes for OSU started his career 4 wins, 6 wins, and 6 wins. He wasn't fired.

What media? Other than Herbstreet's rather uninformed rant based on what one guy said three years ago, almost every media outlet I see is claiming the Strong era is over, with details of his failings here.
The cold hard truth is that he hasn't had a single winning season here, and he will finish, by record, as the worst coach in Texas history. There are some lame excuses, such as lack of support (didn't our president travel with him to help him hire an OC?) inheriting no talent (maybe it wasn't great, but Mack was still winning 8 games a season, and they are all his guys now other than the best player on the team, Foreman) needing to clean up the program (there just really isn't any basis for this).
As far as the race card, Texas gave him a chance, and the dude is leaving here 30 million dollars richer. Any other program would let him go with this record. Where racism would exist is if no other program will give him a second chance. The ball is in your court, rest of CFB. Don't blame us. I imagine he will be hired quickly anyway, so the race card is just BS.

Yes. Herman has said many times Texas is his dream job. Clumsiness won't deter him.
Agree and that's what makes this different from other terminations and subsequent coaching searches.
The only xfactor is the players that have bonded with Strong. Herman will have to get them on board quickly in order to have a chance at immediate success. Even though the players love for Strong hasn't translated into solid play, they still seem to really be close to him and many are not going to take his firing well.

Agree and that's what makes this different from other terminations and subsequent coaching searches.
The only xfactor is the players that have bonded with Strong. Herman will have to get them on board quickly in order to have a chance at immediate success. Even though the players love for Strong hasn't translated into solid play, they still seem to really be close to him and many are not going to take his firing well.
This has me a bit worried too. I don't want the players themselves botching this coaching hire by scaring coaches off with immediate locker room problems. These players need to realize that Strong may have been a father figure to them, but he is not a very good football coach. Move on and form a relationship with the next guy.

UH not having a shot at their conference title game is huge IMO. Herman could be in place by this time next week.

Woody Hayes for OSU started his career 4 wins, 6 wins, and 6 wins. He wasn't fired.

You are correct about the number of wins by Woody Hayes his first three years. But you left out the number of losses. 4-3-2 in year 1, 6-3 in year 2, and 6-3 in year 3. If Charlie were 16-9-2 after 3 years instead of 16-20, this thread wouldn't exist.

You are correct about the number of wins by Woody Hayes his first three years. But you left out the number of losses. 4-3-2 in year 1, 6-3 in year 2, and 6-3 in year 3. If Charlie were 16-9-2 after 3 years instead of 16-20, this thread wouldn't exist.

If he was 16-9 with a loss to KU, I think this thread would exist based on what I'm seeing.

If he was 16-9 with a loss to KU, I think this thread would exist based on what I'm seeing.
I see people still defending him! 16-20 is indefensible under any circumstance. The KU loss just made the whole process easier. I understand Mack didn't leave a national title contender. But he did leave 85 scholarship players (or somewhere around there). Its not like UT was Mary Hardin Baylor starting a new team from scratch.

Herman may very well want the UT job, but if you're him, and a premier program is knocking and runs a tight ship, even if you want the UT job wouldn't you consider moving to a place that appears to be less chaotic? UT has many advantages for sure, but the coaches are also businessmen and even if you REALLY want something, if the timing or situation doesn't fit, you do what's best for you and your family.
We'll see soon what he wants. He'll probably land $8M to $9M to come coach at UT and be very happy. Money talks. And solves a lot of problems.

Reactions: diadevic
I see people still defending him! 16-20 is indefensible under any circumstance. The KU loss just made the whole process easier. I understand Mack didn't leave a national title contender. But he did leave 85 scholarship players (or somewhere around there). Its not like UT was Mary Hardin Baylor starting a new team from scratch.
Mack also left a mostly intact, and full, recruiting class for Strong. That is more than Sttong is doing for his replacement.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT