ADVERTISEMENT

The moring after-- Merry Land

clob94

Aug 25, 2014
Wow. Lots of little things I missed during the game while I was busy throwing sh!t at the TV popped out at me today. But there was one thing, a pretty big thing that stood out. We will get to that at the end.
First: Oline. For fvcks sake guys...... I've got an AA left tackle that literally could have just pimp slapped their DE and then just laid down on him the entire game. 55 is so much better than any dlineman merry land has that it's ludicrous. Instead of just crushing the guys put infront of him, he played with them. And on the two or three occasions where he got out maneuvered, he held the guys. Stop working on your technique and maul mother fvckers! Work on your slide and kickstep in practice big guy. Right guard: holy sh!t pal..... I know rule #1 for all lineman is "don't give up the inside" but dude, when they run a twist or slant and your center clearly has the block, you ain't got to move over to him to help in A gap if there's a dude coming hard in B gap. You almost single handedly got Boo destroyed. You seem to have the footwork and punch to do your job only.... you're not doing your job. You did straight up olé blocks several times my man and one time you straight up whiffed.
TE: 87. Son, I get it. You were a wr. We fed you to make you bigger because you were too slow to be a wr. I'm going to use really tiny words from this point forward..... just for you.
When your tackle turns his head toward you and makes his call, and there's a person standing across from you, your tackle is telling you that YOU must distract the person directly infront of you.
Now---- I know it's hard to block... I get that. But the least you can do is slow the guy down, even a little. Know any good jokes? Tell the DE a good joke. Like talking politics? Ask him who he voted for. You might try spitting in his ear....that may work. Tripping is always an option. Seriously, just fling your body at his feet and roll around a bit. Anything would be better than the technique you're using now.
Holton: there is a good Holton and a bad Holton. We saw heapings of both. Dude, you had the best, worst game ever! Or is it the worst, best game ever? Hard to tell. Pro tip, allowing a wr to get behind you is normally a bad thing. Try and keep that in mind moving forward.
Malik---- dude, this ain't highschool anymore and you are no longer the best athlete on the field like you were in HS. Your misreads are now things of legends. You take more false steps than a 3 legged polka dancer. You've GOT to start coming downhill and hard! Yes, we all marvel at your lateral moves.....but you can't make tackles going sideways. It's high time for you to decide if you're a hard nosed LB or a finesse rover. Lose the dress, switch to raw meet, start addressing ppl with only grunts and snarls, get the fvck off social media (bad a$$ linebackers with bada$$ attitudes don't instagram) and start hitting people and trying to hurt them. When you tackle someone your goal should be to break every bone in the immediate area of contact. Hulk fvkcing smash, bro.
Kangaroo jack kicker: a little more air earlier please. Line drives are awesome in baseball. In case you were confused, this ain't baseball.

Chris: you want the ball 25 times a game? I know you averaged 5 yards a pop and that's cool. But start lowering your pads and you'll average 6.5. A dude that averages 6.5 gets way more touches than a dude averaging 5. You are 6 foot 3 and weigh 250lbs bud. Lean forward, hit people fall forward.....BOOM an extra 1.5 yards-- every time.
Boo: I'm shaking my head because there's no easy fix here. I can't teach you how to throw a ball harder. God gives that gift. You didn't get it. So because God didn't give you that gift you have to make up for it in other ways. You've got to get stronger bro. I mean A LOT stronger. You should LIVE in the weight room. Film studies should be conducted in the weight room while you are lifting. Multitask. Until you can stand on your toes, rock and fire that deep out with pin point accuracy, this team won't win a lot of games. Get your lower body, abs and shoulder as strong as you can. The offense depends on it. And btw, please stop that ghost hand off BS when there's an empty set. You're not fooling anyone and it's a wasted motion. Or do you have an imaginary friend lined up at rb that we need to know about?

Tom: is it still your dream job? Got some bad news for you-- anymore showings like yesterday and yes, you will be on the hot seat. Right or wrong, the natives are restless. And right now the most common phrase I'm hearing thrown around is "Charlie 2.0". Time to start out coaching guys.
Defense..................... I'm not even going to waste my breath on you. I'd ask all defensive starters into the film room, make them stand up, make them pull down their pants and prove to me they had genitals. Male ones.

What I did see that I mentioned earlier was this.........

If this were last year, this team would have packed it in after going down at 27-7. Seriously. They would have folded like they did time and time again. Tcu, ND Kansas, arkysaw, these guys kept playing. That showed me they still believed. That's the first step. Belief.

Steps 2-10 may be a bit more daunting.

Clob was one of the very few that had reservations about TH. Way too early for an overreaction, but I'm going to start paying closer attention to your posts.

Reactions: BarbieQdCouch
It is inconceivable to the outside world how a top tier university can be so out of touch with football cohesiveness. The fan base thought Herman could come in and wave a wand over the twisted high dollar donor base and turn things 180D. Strong was up against a political monster of major proportion. Herman got out coached and schemed by a pretty good opponent. Maryland is better than advertised. The media set Texas up to fall. 5-7 last years and 23rd this year????? Herman had no where to go but up in Houston and no where but down at UT. Good luck...see you in Dallas. There is no denying that UT has some of the best talent a school could want but simply cannot put it together.

Reactions: fortworth4ou2
Clob....my man!...excellent post. In my opinion, the worst performing unit of the day was the coaching staff.....and it was not close...attention to detail, my ass!

Reactions: brsooner
Herman has/had the same basic resume as Charlie Strong. Asst for urban Meyer on a national title team. Success at a smaller program. The only real difference is he's viewed as a Texas guy being a GA under Mack and coaching at Houston. I think he will do well here but the idea he was so much better than Strong that he was gonna come in and a program who had struggled to make bowl games the last 5 years was suddenly gonna win 8-10 games was a little far fetched.

The program has problems from the players on up and its gonna take time and the right people to get it fixed.

Reactions: BOBwva1
Relax gentlemen, it's only 1 loss. I promise we'll win ATLEAST 10 games this decade. I'll take any bets/wagers on my prediction.

Based on what I've seen after week 1, we beat SJSU next week by 2 tds.
USC boat races us
Okie lite boat races us
OU boat races us
WVU will pound the crap out of us on D
K state out coaches us and wins
Tech scores 40+ and can we keep up?
TCU gives us a really tough game
Kansas, Iowa st, baylol are wins

Ugh

I usually just peruse these boards and read everyone's thoughts. I, like many am disgusted with the product I saw on the field yesterday. My question for you, am I the only one who feels Heard would be a better fit at QB in this system than either Sam or Boo? This offense is predicated on having a guy at QB that can hurt you with his legs and Boo isn't that guy.

So Rainy brings up a good point because if i am not mistaken Heard won 2 or 3 state championships by running the ball a lot. But throwing is part of the game and I don't think or remember him throwing well.

He's an average passer, but has more arm strength than Boo but lacks in accuracy. Houston was very dangerous with Greg Ward last year as a run pass threat. We don't have the RB's to lean on this year so something will have to give. Boo can't throw 50 times a game and he's not winning games with his legs either.

Clob, you've seen them practice. Why is it that these players supposedly look good in practice but when the lights come on they fold? Is this what the players look like in practice? To me I see every player show that they have the talent and make a great play but then turn around and blow it. No consistency with any of them. Do they play loose in practice but get tight and nervous in games? It really makes me think these guys have gone through so much change and criticism that they have no confidence in their play. Scared to screw up is how I would put it. I think one way a coach addresses this is to compliment the players during interviews. Maybe that was part of Herman mentioning that he thinks the first 22 can play with anyone. Obviously Maryland was too much for them. Every loss like this makes it worse and these players can't handle the pressure to win.

Boo can do just fine if the rest of the team would do their job. I thought he played well considering no one was blocking for him. 51 points is hard to top all by yourself.

Reactions: HornDrummer
Using Greg Ward as an example, that is the kind of QB that Herman wants to fit his system. We don't have that kind of QB on scholarship yet. I think Herman will get it turned around at Texas, but its going to take a few recruiting classes to upgrade everything. We're good at DB, WR and ATH. Every other position is a position of need, especially QB, DL and OL.

Reactions: swVAHorn
I usually just peruse these boards and read everyone's thoughts. I, like many am disgusted with the product I saw on the field yesterday. My question for you, am I the only one who feels Heard would be a better fit at QB in this system than either Sam or Boo? This offense is predicated on having a guy at QB that can hurt you with his legs and Boo isn't that guy.
No you are not the only one....I think he fits this offense better and he can pass well enough to keep the defense honest.....give him 1 maybe 2 reads and if it isn't there RUN....something to wonder about.

Using Greg Ward as an example, that is the kind of QB that Herman wants to fit his system. We don't have that kind of QB on scholarship yet. I think Herman will get it turned around at Texas, but its going to take a few recruiting classes to upgrade everything. We're good at DB, WR and ATH. Every other position is a position of need, especially QB, DL and OL.
Could not agree more.....the lines were supposed to be our strengths.....no way.

I do want to point out that this team DID keep fighting and did comeback to put themselves in a position to win....their mistakes were just too much to overcome. Even though I am upset at the way we played and lost I was happy they did not just quit like they have done in the past.

As I look back on it, I do find some things to be optimistic about. The fact that we did mount a comeback was refreshing. I am also not as down on Boo as many on here are. I did not think he was the problem at all. No more kool aide for me. I am going to have to see it first, but there are some things I am curious about. I put this loss at the feet of the coaches. They were as unprepared as any bunch ever.Hopefully this was a wakeup and they know enough to figure out a way to overcome their lack of foresight.

The only 2 job losses I hope for after this game are Beck and maybe Malik. The play calling was as bad as I have witnessed.We have the best punter in the known universe...use the bastard .....and I am just about convinced that Malik will NEVER learn which lane to take.The offense can leave him unblocked every play as he will take himself out of all of them. Malik reminds me of the Bill Bradley situation faced by DKR. Bradley was such a phenomenal athlete he was on the cover of SI before ever playing a game. However, it was not until he was replaced by Street that Texas started their 30 game streak.

Except for FG and allowing Duverney to return kickoffs, our special teams looks damned good. ....well if we could ever tackle a guy returning KO's. I also think our run game will sink or swim with Warren as unimpressed as I am with him. I do still have hope that we can get better.

I do want to point out that this team DID keep fighting and did comeback to put themselves in a position to win....their mistakes were just too much to overcome. Even though I am upset at the way we played and lost I was happy they did not just quit like they have done in the past.

Watch the O line blocking improve if they have to account for Heard taking it to the house.

So Rainy brings up a good point because if i am not mistaken Heard won 2 or 3 state championships by running the ball a lot. But throwing is part of the game and I don't think or remember him throwing well.

Heard made terrible decisions as a QB. Boo can win if we have a RB quick enough to a tiny hole. Heard in the wildcat occasionally, wide receiver screens probably a good idea. Making decisions, not likely. Boo was frustrated because we gave up on the run option too early. If the D knows your are going to throw all the time it is easy to defend the pass. We have got to do the unexpected.to keep the defense honest, I agree Jefferson on runs plays. he has got to fill the gaps not try to anticipate and run down plays. When he stayed home he was great, but they took him out of the game by making him anticipate .

I just never noticed Malik staying home and looking great. I saw him make one big hit and be in on a few other tackles. I got sick of watching him sit there and then charge into a few blockers where there was no ball carrier.

hell....you never know. My one hope is that they will grade out the films and show everyone the mistakes and they come out this week looking like a new team.

oh, that and fire Beck. The mind that devised that game plan cannot be corrected. The on field decisions were beyond baffling. We have 2 recievers that are unguardable in short yardage situations and we throw to Warren?....Gray?...WTF? We continue to go for it on 4th and long when the situation does not warrant it? Our punter can flip the field....USE HIM!!!

Reactions: swVAHorn
Greg Ward is a much better athlete than Buechele and had the athletic ability to really hurt a defense, when he pulled the ball down.

The problem is that those improvisational skills are not by design. Buechele can be a semi-effective runner, but he's never going to be dynamic. In addition, he appears to be too indecisive when running or passing.

Like the first play of the game. Porter was open, he just held on to the ball. It should have come out of his hand immediately.

Clob, you've seen them practice. Why is it that these players supposedly look good in practice but when the lights come on they fold? Is this what the players look like in practice? To me I see every player show that they have the talent and make a great play but then turn around and blow it. No consistency with any of them. Do they play loose in practice but get tight and nervous in games? It really makes me think these guys have gone through so much change and criticism that they have no confidence in their play. Scared to screw up is how I would put it. I think one way a coach addresses this is to compliment the players during interviews. Maybe that was part of Herman mentioning that he thinks the first 22 can play with anyone. Obviously Maryland was too much for them. Every loss like this makes it worse and these players can't handle the pressure to win.

If the Texas coaching staff thinks 87 can play with anyone, I am very concerned. Dude got rag dolled the entire game.

Wow. Lots of little things I missed during the game while I was busy throwing sh!t at the TV popped out at me today. But there was one thing, a pretty big thing that stood out. We will get to that at the end.
First: Oline. For fvcks sake guys...... I've got an AA left tackle that literally could have just pimp slapped their DE and then just laid down on him the entire game. 55 is so much better than any dlineman merry land has that it's ludicrous. Instead of just crushing the guys put infront of him, he played with them. And on the two or three occasions where he got out maneuvered, he held the guys. Stop working on your technique and maul mother fvckers! Work on your slide and kickstep in practice big guy. Right guard: holy sh!t pal..... I know rule #1 for all lineman is "don't give up the inside" but dude, when they run a twist or slant and your center clearly has the block, you ain't got to move over to him to help in A gap if there's a dude coming hard in B gap. You almost single handedly got Boo destroyed. You seem to have the footwork and punch to do your job only.... you're not doing your job. You did straight up olé blocks several times my man and one time you straight up whiffed.
TE: 87. Son, I get it. You were a wr. We fed you to make you bigger because you were too slow to be a wr. I'm going to use really tiny words from this point forward..... just for you.
When your tackle turns his head toward you and makes his call, and there's a person standing across from you, your tackle is telling you that YOU must distract the person directly infront of you.
Now---- I know it's hard to block... I get that. But the least you can do is slow the guy down, even a little. Know any good jokes? Tell the DE a good joke. Like talking politics? Ask him who he voted for. You might try spitting in his ear....that may work. Tripping is always an option. Seriously, just fling your body at his feet and roll around a bit. Anything would be better than the technique you're using now.
Holton: there is a good Holton and a bad Holton. We saw heapings of both. Dude, you had the best, worst game ever! Or is it the worst, best game ever? Hard to tell. Pro tip, allowing a wr to get behind you is normally a bad thing. Try and keep that in mind moving forward.
Malik---- dude, this ain't highschool anymore and you are no longer the best athlete on the field like you were in HS. Your misreads are now things of legends. You take more false steps than a 3 legged polka dancer. You've GOT to start coming downhill and hard! Yes, we all marvel at your lateral moves.....but you can't make tackles going sideways. It's high time for you to decide if you're a hard nosed LB or a finesse rover. Lose the dress, switch to raw meet, start addressing ppl with only grunts and snarls, get the fvck off social media (bad a$$ linebackers with bada$$ attitudes don't instagram) and start hitting people and trying to hurt them. When you tackle someone your goal should be to break every bone in the immediate area of contact. Hulk fvkcing smash, bro.
Kangaroo jack kicker: a little more air earlier please. Line drives are awesome in baseball. In case you were confused, this ain't baseball.

Chris: you want the ball 25 times a game? I know you averaged 5 yards a pop and that's cool. But start lowering your pads and you'll average 6.5. A dude that averages 6.5 gets way more touches than a dude averaging 5. You are 6 foot 3 and weigh 250lbs bud. Lean forward, hit people fall forward.....BOOM an extra 1.5 yards-- every time.
Boo: I'm shaking my head because there's no easy fix here. I can't teach you how to throw a ball harder. God gives that gift. You didn't get it. So because God didn't give you that gift you have to make up for it in other ways. You've got to get stronger bro. I mean A LOT stronger. You should LIVE in the weight room. Film studies should be conducted in the weight room while you are lifting. Multitask. Until you can stand on your toes, rock and fire that deep out with pin point accuracy, this team won't win a lot of games. Get your lower body, abs and shoulder as strong as you can. The offense depends on it. And btw, please stop that ghost hand off BS when there's an empty set. You're not fooling anyone and it's a wasted motion. Or do you have an imaginary friend lined up at rb that we need to know about?

Tom: is it still your dream job? Got some bad news for you-- anymore showings like yesterday and yes, you will be on the hot seat. Right or wrong, the natives are restless. And right now the most common phrase I'm hearing thrown around is "Charlie 2.0". Time to start out coaching guys.
Defense..................... I'm not even going to waste my breath on you. I'd ask all defensive starters into the film room, make them stand up, make them pull down their pants and prove to me they had genitals. Male ones.

What I did see that I mentioned earlier was this.........

If this were last year, this team would have packed it in after going down at 27-7. Seriously. They would have folded like they did time and time again. Tcu, ND Kansas, arkysaw, these guys kept playing. That showed me they still believed. That's the first step. Belief.

Steps 2-10 may be a bit more daunting.

How did you forget 19 in your evaluation? Poor angles and atrocious tacking attempts all day long.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT