ADVERTISEMENT

The Olympics are here

It's only therapy if you can get on someone's nerves, someone across the country or world banging their fists on the keyboard. that's therapy i can get behind
Just FYI-- I'm enjoying a nice Alsatian Kronenbourg right now.
I know how Germans and French both (sort of) claim Alsace as their cultural territory.
But you can taste the German influence in the beer.

sure looking at 1936, when they had the games in berlin. he nazis were in power yep. but what was political about the Olympics themselves? there were no political events. it was athletics. it's about the games, not about the politics. it's really a nice window of time for people to compete outside all the bs politics of things. this is why you are seeing athletes from countries who are politically at odds (US and China for example) are getting along with each other. it's not about the politics for them, it's about the competition.

It's about politics to certain others though. Doesnt mean that certain people, who arent the athletes competing, people who go out of their way to act political, those folks make every facet of life political. But the games themselves arent political and that's what I mean.

As far as political impacts go, looking at all these examples, what was the impact? e.g. 2024 russia banned...impact? the afghan boxer...political sure, people made it that way, people who werent involved...but what was the impact? nothing. the shitsstorm of the opening ceremonies...impact? it was talked bout for a few days and on to the next thing.

going back to 2020, protests? i mean waht impact did that have? people protest all the times. the games continued.

2016, refugee team in rio? i never even heard of that. protests in brazil? i dont remember, i'll take your word for it but if i cant even remember it happening 8 years later, must not have had a significant impact. maybe brazliians cared but the rest of the world didnt.

2000- i dont remember either. must not have been impactful.
1996- biggest impact from that event was a good movie that came out in 2019.

i just dont think these were impactful political issues, outside being a momentary blip in the news media.

For ****s sake dude SMH

Reactions: westx
It’s a shame that it took a heroic 4th quarter from Curry to win the gold medal game. France has no business hanging close with us. We should have won by 30. Without Curry, we lose to Serbia and France. And LeBron was named MVP?! Really? Anyone who knows anything about basketball knows Curry was the MVP.
Might be before your time Drtxhorn, but in the 1980 Lake Placid winter olympics, 5 USA club level/college hockey players, just kids really, with not much pedigree, upset the mighty USSR hockey team (pretty much the hockey version of our basketball team this year in Paris) in the semi-finals and eventually went on to win gold.

That's the cool thing about the olympics. It very often transcends just base athletic talent and skill, and exemplifies much that is good about the human spirit. Also, home field advantage is powerful.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT