ADVERTISEMENT

The rambling of an old fool. (long)

gordo107

Mar 9, 2013
I have pretty much stayed out of the fight between what is considered liberal and that which is viewed as conservative. I come in here just to get tidbits on what is happening with recruiting. In truth, I lean towards the liberal side on most matters. But that is just one man’s opinion and hope you agree with my right to voice it as much as I support your right to voice yours. I may not agree at all with your position, but I most definitely agree with your right to voice it. However, when I see someone walking around without a facemask, I cannot help but take it personal. I am 65, still furloughed from my employment. I am in good health, and if I contracted Covid, I think I would hurt quite a bit from what I have read, but I am sure I would survive. My partner however, she suffers from a respiratory illness, if she were to contract this virus, it would most likely be her death sentence. So, when I see someone without a facemask on, walking around without a care I do take it personal. I worry that we may never rid ourselves of this illness. Personal liberties have taken over all rational thinking. It is what is most paramount to many now. I do not know what has happened to our sense of community, our desire to help one other, our sense of responsibility to each other.

Make American great again, I do not know what that means. Were taking a step backwards. Americans used to care about each other, about our world standing. In my lifetime, I have seen our greatest generation (my parents) lead this country to victory in a fight against fascism, they placed a man on the moon, they helped feed countless millions. This country was a leader in world affairs, a place the people from all over the world looked up to and respected.

If you want to strap a AR-15 on your chest and a hand gun on each side and walk around, as much as I do not like it, I will be right behind you defending your right to do so. Because it is your right. Our constitution grants you that right, but regarding facemasks please do not take the position that it is your body and your choice. That choice will kill my partner. And I sincerely hope not, but maybe you. Masks do help control the spread (it also allows you to shop HEB).

Whether it is Bell, 2300 or Stranger (although I do love your fishing reports dude), I may not agree or even always understand your position, but I respect your right to voice them, just do the same for me, and try to understand what my fears are regarding Covid and masks.

I do not know what it was that changed the mindset to view me more important than us. Blame Facebook, blame the internet, hell might as well blame Chick-Fil-A.

All I know is what I see and read. Americans have always been good at compromise, at finding a way to make this country work and to protect one another. We still possess that ability; we just have lost the will.

Please, everyone stay safe.

All I know is what I see and read. Americans have always been good at compromise, at finding a way to make this country work and to protect one another. We still possess that ability; we just have lost the will.

I fear that day has gone. Compromise is viewed in primary season as a sign of weakness.

I fear that day has gone. Compromise is viewed in primary season as a sign of weakness.

Compromise used to be on taxing and fiscal issues. There is no compromise on abortion, gay marriage, transgender, etc... Once the faith issues are breached, there is no compromise. I don't see Trump pushing for a balanced budget or lower taxes. Trump actually raised taxes by limiting deductions a couple of years ago.

The left has pushed the Christian right to the point of war and it may well happen. The pendulum is about to swing right after this credit cycle collapses.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply guys, I get what your saying, but all I was really asking for, is the simple practice of wearing a face mask.

Reactions: oldhorn2
I have pretty much stayed out of the fight between what is considered liberal and that which is viewed as conservative. I come in here just to get tidbits on what is happening with recruiting. In truth, I lean towards the liberal side on most matters. But that is just one man’s opinion and hope you agree with my right to voice it as much as I support your right to voice yours. I may not agree at all with your position, but I most definitely agree with your right to voice it. However, when I see someone walking around without a facemask, I cannot help but take it personal. I am 65, still furloughed from my employment. I am in good health, and if I contracted Covid, I think I would hurt quite a bit from what I have read, but I am sure I would survive. My partner however, she suffers from a respiratory illness, if she were to contract this virus, it would most likely be her death sentence. So, when I see someone without a facemask on, walking around without a care I do take it personal. I worry that we may never rid ourselves of this illness. Personal liberties have taken over all rational thinking. It is what is most paramount to many now. I do not know what has happened to our sense of community, our desire to help one other, our sense of responsibility to each other.

Make American great again, I do not know what that means. Were taking a step backwards. Americans used to care about each other, about our world standing. In my lifetime, I have seen our greatest generation (my parents) lead this country to victory in a fight against fascism, they placed a man on the moon, they helped feed countless millions. This country was a leader in world affairs, a place the people from all over the world looked up to and respected.

If you want to strap a AR-15 on your chest and a hand gun on each side and walk around, as much as I do not like it, I will be right behind you defending your right to do so. Because it is your right. Our constitution grants you that right, but regarding facemasks please do not take the position that it is your body and your choice. That choice will kill my partner. And I sincerely hope not, but maybe you. Masks do help control the spread (it also allows you to shop HEB).

Whether it is Bell, 2300 or Stranger (although I do love your fishing reports dude), I may not agree or even always understand your position, but I respect your right to voice them, just do the same for me, and try to understand what my fears are regarding Covid and masks.

I do not know what it was that changed the mindset to view me more important than us. Blame Facebook, blame the internet, hell might as well blame Chick-Fil-A.

Gordo hang in there. everyday is a Gift when ya getting old as I look at it...I am passed Guns, amendments, politics ...etc just take your day and live it the way you want to and Fuk everyone else!

Thanks for the reply guys, I get what your saying, but all I was really asking for, is the simple practice of wearing a face mask.

Yep, I have one. I occasionally clean my own houses, meaning the ones I am building so I always have a supply N95 masks.... sheetrock dust is some nasty stuff.

Reactions: StrangerHorn
I'll wear the mask. I hate it. It's a false security blanket--- just look at the women in the middle east-- getting sick in droves and the majority cover their faces.

But open it all back up. Don't force me to wear a mask AND force my company into bankruptcy at the same time.

If masks work, then open everything up fully. There is no reason to damage people's lives and income over this virus.

I’ve noticed when I wear a mask that women don’t run away from me as fast as they do without my mask on. Has anyone else encountered this?

I get your points. The problem we have here is that wearing a face mask does not mean that you are not passing on or contracting the virus. If it was as simple as that then sure. It’s not. We are all going to die at some point, myself included. What I am seeing is people contracting the virus regardless of face masks. So here we are with all of these jobs shut down etc and we are still having these cases of covid reported.

sure it does affect certain folks but it’s not a death sentence to most. At some point the country has to reopen fully and tough it out or we’ll go on like this for years. Next it’ll be the swine flu II etc. Not trying to sound harsh but unless you are fully hazmat when you leave your house, you are bringing the virus home with you.

This weekend in New Braunfels a gentleman in his 80’s died of Coronavirus, in the article though it said he had underlying conditions but the big headline said he died of Covid. Don’t believe everything you read.

Great post.

I lost my dad earlier this year, and definitely do not want to lose my mom, who will be turning 70 soon. Couldn’t bear the thought of losing both my parents in the same year. Hope you and your partner stay safe.

I wear one because of my mom and others like you and your partner. I also wear one, not because I think it is some sort of guarantee of me avoiding or contracting the virus and keeping myself safe, but wanting to REDUCE the spread to minimize hospitalizations so those that need to seek medical treatment can obtain it and because it will help businesses open sooner.

After losing my dad, and now worrying about my mom, I couldn’t imagine being responsible for spreading it to someone else’s dad or mom and they passed away, when I could’ve helped avoid it.

Keep safe Gordo. *virtual high five*

Great post.

I lost my dad earlier this year, and definitely do not want to lose my mom, who will be turning 70 soon. Couldn’t bear the thought of losing both my parents in the same year. Hope you and your partner stay safe.

I wear one because of my mom and others like you and your partner. I also wear one, not because I think it is some sort of guarantee of me avoiding or contracting the virus and keeping myself safe, but wanting to REDUCE the spread to minimize hospitalizations so those that need to seek medical treatment can obtain it and because it will help businesses open sooner.

After losing my dad, and now worrying about my mom, I couldn’t imagine being responsible for spreading it to someone else’s dad or mom and they passed away, when I could’ve helped avoid it.

My wife who will be 69 next month and with health issues had surgery last month. Well they gave her a covid19. before the surgery and she came up negative. We are blessed.

Great post.

I’m sorry for the loss of your father. Are you planning on wearing a mask year round from here on out? The reason I ask is because covid is very similar to the seasonal flu that kills thousands a year. I commend you for taking precautions you feel are right for you but to be truly proactive you would need to do it everyday from here on out.

Clob….it is true what you say about the middle east and the number of cases in spite of all the burkas, but one thing about Arabic culture has to also be a factor. Social distancing is not in their DNA....even with strangers. Years ago I read a study about different cultures and one thing the study found curious was the way Middle easterners gathered into clusters. The example was at a bus stop where most of the group does not know each other. Middle Easterners would gather in relatively tight clusters where as Westerners tended to stay apart from anyone they didn't know.

Interesting stat just released today for Bexar county...45% of all reported cases of the Covid involved age group 20-39....they are 31% of the population.
12.5% of the cases were 60 plus and they are 17.5% of the population.

maybe this isn't an old guys disease after all....

Reactions: outhereincali
Clob….it is true what you say about the middle east and the number of cases in spite of all the burkas, but one thing about Arabic culture has to also be a factor. Social distancing is not in their DNA....even with strangers. Years ago I read a study about different cultures and one thing the study found curious was the way Middle easterners gathered into clusters. The example was at a bus stop where most of the group does not know each other. Middle Easterners would gather in relatively tight clusters where as Westerners tended to stay apart from anyone they didn't know.

Interesting stat just released today for Bexar county...45% of all reported cases of the Covid involved age group 20-39....they are 31% of the population.
12.5% of the cases were 60 plus and they are 17.5% of the population.

maybe this isn't an old guys disease after all....

It will infect whoever it contacts. The outcome is what is different. I think seniors are being more cautious than younger people and that data supports it.

It will infect whoever it contacts. The outcome is what is different. I think seniors are being more cautious than younger people and that data supports it.

no argument from me there

I am reading the Grant biography by Ron Chernow and I am at the immediate post- Civil War period. Lots of paralells with 1968 and today.
It is appalling that 150 years after the Civil War we are left with the same race problems that have never been fully and effectively addressed. And even 50 years after the Great Society we are still left with huge problems even though billions have been spent to address these issues. There is plenty of blame to go around.

Liberals want every remedy to be an expensive and controlling government program. The problem is that these programs (or some variation of these programs) have not solved any problems. In some cases, they have made the problem worse by creating a permanent underclass that is utterly dependent on the government and clueless on how to participate in the broader economy.

They have been abetted by black leaders who have not held these programs accountable or demanded the next step of assistance that might create independence. They are also aided by unions (government and teacher) that want to protect their members more than they want to improve the education or services that they provide.

The conservatives are to blame for failing to create or support programs that would incent minorities to hold their families together, integrate housing, and seek advancement through education and entrepreneurship.

The current derisiveness and division in our country may break enough eggs to create an omelet of opportunities for progress on some of these issues.

Because this great multicultural, multi-ethnic, multi-racial experiment called America will pull together to make it work. Because it is what we do- After we have tried everything else.

I am reading the Grant biography by Ron Chernow and I am at the immediate post- Civil War period. Lots of paralells with 1968 and today.
It is appalling that 150 years after the Civil War we are left with the same race problems that have never been fully and effectively addressed. And even 50 years after the Great Society we are still left with huge problems even though billions have been spent to address these issues. There is plenty of blame to go around.

Liberals want every remedy to be an expensive and controlling government program. The problem is that these programs (or some variation of these programs) have not solved any problems. In some cases, they have made the problem worse by creating a permanent underclass that is utterly dependent on the government and clueless on how to participate in the broader economy.

They have been abetted by black leaders who have not held these programs accountable or demanded the next step of assistance that might create independence. They are also aided by unions (government and teacher) that want to protect their members more than they want to improve the education or services that they provide.

The conservatives are to blame for failing to create or support programs that would incent minorities to hold their families together, integrate housing, and seek advancement through education and entrepreneurship.

The current derisiveness and division in our country may break enough eggs to create an omelet of opportunities for progress on some of these issues.

Because this great multicultural, multi-ethnic, multi-racial experiment called America will pull together to make it work. Because it is what we do- After we have tried everything else.
Opportunity has never been more equal. The government and indeed our alma mater have heavily tilted the scale in favor of minorities. See the suit Asian students v. Harvard. Harvard requires asian applicants to score 350 SAT points higher than black applicants to become students. I know that the UT Law School requires a higher LSAT for white or asian applicants than blacks or hispanics. I believe that the achievement gap is a combination of ability and attitude. The civil war ended 155 years ago. The Civil Rights Act was passed 55 years ago. When do we accept that people are different?

Reactions: 2300 Nueces
The number of covid cases are soaring because they changed the counting method. Cases now include "likely" cases which may in fact be seasonal allergies. Hat tip to Dr. Ron Paul. Just wait til ragweed kicks up, I'll not be wearing any mask or I'll sufocate.

The number of covid cases are soaring because they changed the counting method. Cases now include "likely" cases which may in fact be seasonal allergies. Hat tip to Dr. Ron Paul. Just wait til ragweed kicks up, I'll not be wearing any mask or I'll sufocate.

Cases are up because more people are catching covid and are going to get tested, even if they have mild or no symptoms. The amount of tests were not available earlier this year to test people with mild symptoms. There is a surge in cases but it is not as drastic as the graphs make it out to be. The data reporting is way off as well. The positives you see each day is just a lump of results received from tests taken anywhere in the last two weeks. Some people get results the next day and some don't get them for 10 days. They all get reported together. You can't look at daily cases and form a trend.

Cases are up because more people are catching covid and are going to get tested, even if they have mild or no symptoms. The amount of tests were not available earlier this year to test people with mild symptoms. There is a surge in cases but it is not as drastic as the graphs make it out to be. The data reporting is way off as well. The positives you see each day is just a lump of results received from tests taken anywhere in the last two weeks. Some people get results the next day and some don't get them for 10 days. They all get reported together. You can't look at daily cases and form a trend.

From Ron Paul:

The move is not only a violation of the civil liberties of all Texans. Abbott may have based his executive order on inaccurate information about a “rise” in Covid cases due to the Texas State Department of Health Services changing the definition of what constitutes a “Covid case.”

Thanks goes to Collin County Judge Chris Hill for blowing the whistle on what appears to be a move in mid-May to redefine what was a “Covid” case to open the door to a massive increase – all to match the mainstream media line that a “second wave” was on the way.

In a Commissioners Court hearing for Collin County on May 18th, it was revealed that while previously the determination of a Covid “case” was a confirmed test result, the definition was suddenly changed to count “probable” cases as “cases.” At the same time, the threshold for determining “probable” was lowered to a ridiculous level.

As Judge Hill said at that May 18th meeting, “If you have a subjective fever and you have a headache and you live in Collin County, you now meet the qualifications to be a probable COVID patient. It is remarkable how low the standard is now.”

Even worse, once a “probable” case was determined based on possibly unrelated subjective criteria, up to 15 people in possible contact with that “probable” case were also listed as “probable cases.” And “probable cases” were considered cases.

Repeat that farce across Texas and is it any wonder there was a “spike” in “cases”?

Doubtful, because that would require widespread support form medical professionals who I can't see being that careless with their diagnosis. I would think most of them have pride in their profession and don't want to mislead the public.

Doubtful, because that would require widespread support form medical professionals who I can't see being that careless with their diagnosis. I would think most of them have pride in their profession and don't want to mislead the public.

It's the health services people doing the counting not the doctors.

Re: the masks. I hate them. I do not believe they work. I know that my underwear and Wrangler jeans cannot hold in one of my farts. Especially after I ate some eggs that morning and chili the night before. It is deadly. I made two millennial Indians guys cry one time while disposing of my toxins in a bank restroom. The poor bastards did not know what they were walking into. The were talking away until they got to the urinals, and then the smell hit them. One said "Oh Man" and other said "Yes" and they left in a hurry. But I do wear a mask in fancy stores, like Circle K or Stripes. I hope your wife stays well. I hate that your liberal who cannot see that your Dem party is now home to commies. Your old democratic party is not the party you grew up with.

Two guys are standing face to face and one starts to take a piss. Which scenario would you rather have?
A) Neither person wearing pants
B) The person peeing wearing pants
C) The person not peeing wearing pants
D) Both wearing pants.

Look guys, I'm on the side of this being overblown because I can look at data and make my own conclusion about the seriousness of the virus, but let's not selectively ignore stuff that doesn't fit our agenda. In my opinion that is the reason this whole thing is a mess. So lets look at some facts and try to ignore all the hot air coming from 100 different directions.

Fact - Cases are increasing in Texas
Fact - Hospitalizations are increasing in Texas
Fact - Deaths are starting to increase in Texas
Fact - The virus has a very low death rate for young and healthy people.
Fact - The virus has a high death rate to old and unhealthy people.
Fact - The virus will kill people who normally would live many more years with their existing health problems.
Fact - The virus can cause lasting complications to some people.
Fact - The virus's easiest route of transmission is through close and prolonged contact between people where they breath in respiratory droplets.
Fact - The majority of health professionals recommend wearing a mask to make it less transmissible
Fact - Our Republican President recommends wearing a mask.
Fact - Our Republican Vice president recommends wearing a mask.
Fact - The Republican Governor of Texas recommends wearing a mask.

So why is wearing a mask fall on political lines when republicans are recommending it as well? If it helps, which most believe they do, why not wear one? For the seriousness of this virus masks are acceptable but shutting down businesses and the economy is not in my opinion. Are there people using this virus as a political weapon? Absolutely.

the only numbers I even bother to pay attention to are the hospitalizations. Those are going up and that is beyond dispute. I assume that folks are not hospitalized unless they have serious issues.

As far as the total cases, the supposed death rates, and all the other numbers out there.....it is all pee and vinegar as far as I am concerned. So many agendas out there being pushed by so many liars...."give em the old razzle dazzle....bam and boozle em…."

Reactions: DHHorn
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT