The Texas Card House War Room (UGA fans remind us of what's next))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
1677808865494.png
CLICK HERE FOR TCH PROMO

(Anwar)

The conversation surrounding Pete Kwiatkowski’s defense with the start of spring practice only a few days away is much different than last year’s dialogue.

Last season, the biggest question was if Texas would have standout defensive players. Linebacker was an area of concern. The defensive line was questionable. Nobody on the defense had a consistent impact season.

The question this offseason is which current defensive players have an opportunity to emerge into standouts this year.

So far, multiple players have stood out during winter conditioning.

Defensive lineman Byron Murphy II.

Edge Barryn Sorrell.

Defensive lineman Jaray Bledsoe.

Defensive back Morice Blackwell Jr.

I was told each player has been impressive during winter conditioning. They have impressed the staff and are viewed as players who should have an impact this season if they continue to excel throughout offseason workouts.

Murphy’s ascension should not come as a surprise. Alex Dunlap tracked down Coburn at the NFL Scouting Combine and asked him what makes Murphy so good.

“He's hungry. He made me work. He made me fall in love with football again,” Coburn said. “He gave me poise and competition. Seeing how he moved. He's so fast. I've never seen anyone that quick and fast. So in control with his body. He made me want to be the same as him. To play just as good as him. Seeing that young dude just ball the way he does and how good he is. I just try to be a mentor to him the best way I can. I just can't wait to see how his future goes.”

The ascension of Bledsoe and Blackwell is something worth monitoring when spring football begins on Monday – and throughout this offseason.

I checked in with Alex Dunlap on Thursday and wanted to know the snap counts for both players.

According to Alex, Bledsoe had six snaps last season at the Jack defensive end position. Bledsoe was listed 6-foot-4 and 260 pounds as a freshman last year. He was too undersized to play inside, which is why he was behind Sorrell and Justice Finkley. However, Bledsoe developed into a player who gained the staff’s attention toward the end of the last season. I was not given Bledsoe’s current weight but the media will receive a spring roster with current heights and weights on Monday.

Blackwell had 60 snaps last season and 58 were at linebacker (two at safety). According to Alex, the majority of Blackwell’s participation occurred toward the end of last season. Blackwell appeared in 24 percent of snaps against Kansas and 13 percent versus Baylor.

Here is a portion of Alex’s recent analysis of Blackwell:

“Perhaps even more likely would be seeing Morice Blackwell -- the linebacker to safety-now back to linebacker? -- convert getting work as the Demarvion Overshown replacement for 2023. As Overshown told me at the Senior Bowl, Blackwell's skillset and background is similar to Overshown's, and Blackwell has seen playing time and has reasonable skins on the wall. In the end, though, Blackwell just seems like more of a sub-package and specialty player from what we have seen of him thus far. It requires some mental gymnastics to envision a world where Blackwell gains and holds onto a starting job long-term over a 5-star stud of Hill's pedigree.”

One more thing.

I was also told that Ethan Burke and Terrance Brooks are trending upwards. Keep an eye on both players this spring.

(Alex)

Here are a few random notes of possible interest regarding the Texas Longhorns and the Big 12 in general from a smattering of conversations, interviews and buzz around the 2023 NFL combine:

- NFL scouts, it will surprise no one to learn, are already well aware of Kelvin Banks. I was talking with one scout about my general sense that Texas Tech edge rusher Tyree Wilson is a player that the draft world is getting out over its skis on simply because he has a massive wingspan and looks every bit the part of a long and rangy NFL edge rusher. I told him Wilson looks like a million bucks, but the facts I see are that he's never had more than 7 sacks in a season (against Big 12 offensive linemen who are typically not as tough to go against as higher-end SEC or even Big 10-types historically) and I didn't remember him as being a huge problem to game-plan for or contend with when I was doing the work on the 2022 Texas game versus Texas Tech. Certain guys you just remember as being a giant pain in the ass. Offensively, guys like Kendre Miller and Deuce Vaughn, Quentin Johnston, Xavier Hutchinson, etc. Defensively, guys like Will McDonald from ISU or Big Felix from KSU, etc. I asked this scout what I was missing? I didn't remember him having a big game versus Texas, and Texas had a true freshman starting left tackle.

He stopped me there and said, "but you think that's a first-round guy, right?" Meaning Banks. I told him that yes, I could certainly see that, but shouldn't a guy we're talking about like a possible Top 5 pick THIS YEAR be able to handle a true freshman? He said "it's different when you're talking about a true freshman LIKE THAT."

Since, I have gone back and watched the game again, and to my surprise, it seems like Wilson lined up a lot more on the right side of the offense, anyway. Banks had some good reps against him, but it was not an all-game affair. Wilson wasn't even really a problem for Christian Jones, but was admittedly able to generate some rush upfield on stunts against a different breed of true freshman in Cole Hutson, who had his worst-graded game of the season in the Deep Dig versus the Red Raiders.

- I had written back at the start of the offseason that one NFL scout told me that Bijan Robinson and Roschon Johnson would be drafted much closer together than anyone thought due to the fact that the RB market is devalued at the super-high end and that Roschon is more coveted by NFL teams than many expect. I still think that is sort of true if you originally considered Roschon a RD6-type of pick and Bijan a surefire first, but Roschon seems to have a wide range of possible outcomes while it's becoming clear Bijan does not.

I asked one NFL scout what the chances are that Bijan makes it out of the first round and he said zero point zero. It's the absolute consensus that Bijan is thought of as uber-elite and likely the best prospect at RB since Saquon Barkley. As for Roschon, man, the opinions are all over the place. To sum them up, it feels like his ceiling is to squeak into the Day 2 conversation, maybe as a round 3 pick, if he tests well, which is likely to be the case. We know that he had the highest "truck-stick" measurement at Texas among all QBs, RBs, TEs and DBs which measures peak MPH X body weight. Much higher than even Robinson. He's also widely considered by scouts to be one of the premiere pass-protection RBs in the draft. Still, some scouts and NFL media personalities still look at him in the context of being a "backup," not considering the extreme circumstance of sharing a backfield with a runner they all tout as generational. One person told me that his team had a sixth-round grade on him prior to testing. I think it would be safe to put the over/under on Roschon Johnson's draft position at this time at the mid-fourth round as sort of an average of opinions I've heard in the know so far this week.

- Using that same method of averages, it feels pretty clear most expect DeMarvion Overshown to be gone on Day 2 (Rounds 2 or 3) of the draft on Friday night of draft week.

- On the NFL side, I had an interesting conversation with Washington Commanders team sources about former Texas LT Sam Cosmi. He has struggled during his time in D.C., and it looks like he is going to be moved to guard this offseason because ... and I could not believe this when I heard it ... "his feet are too slow and bad to play tackle anymore." I don't know what happened, maybe he put on too much weight too fast to get his strength up to play in the NFL but Sam Cosmi and bad feet were not two items I came to Indy planning to hear in the same sentence.

- Another Longhorns alum, Poona Ford, is set to be a free agent now that his rookie deal is up with the Seattle Seahawks. I could not get any comment from Seattle GM John Schneider about attempts to bring him back, but was able to connect with a source on the agency side who told me that Seattle is not necessarily backing up the Brinks Truck (or seemingly any kind of money truck) for continuation of Ford's services at this time, despite Ford being a more-than-pleasant surprise for the Hawks after joining as a rookie free agent a few years back. The good news is that I'm told "he'll be fine; we're getting lots and lots of interest elsewhere." Things could heat up with Seattle because Poona would really like to work something out to stay there, but based on all I'm told, he'll have other options regardless.

- Spoke to a person who works on the Alabama football staff and asked what he thought about Sarkisian's first two years in Austin. He said that so many people think that you can come to Alabama for a year or two and have "magic Saban Dust" on you that's going to result in your running a program the same way with the same level of success and sustained culture that Saban has. "That's unreasonable," he said. He said Sark should be judged on his own and not measured against Saban. He said "you guys (Texas) hired him to run his offense. He should be expected to run that offense he was hired to run, but run his program like Steve Sarkisian."

- I got my first real taste of SEC homerism among the media today when talking with a few publishers of Georgia-centric publications at UGA CB Kelee Ringo's national media availability.

While we were waiting on Ringo, I noticed a small gaggle of dudes with UGA gear and I asked them about recent UGA-to-Texas WR transfer AD Mitchell, and what they thought of him.

I was not surprised to hear once again (I was told this exact same thing by an NFL scout at the Senior Bowl who happens to be a UGA alum) that AD Mitchell was basically considered the best option the Dawgs had at WR coming into the 2023 season. After that initial nice admission is when the SEC sour grapes kicked in.

They said that he had trouble with injuries and that he was distracted with certain family issues in Texas. When he was on the field last year, it was clear he was a great weapon, the numbers back that up. But, they said, "when he was hurt, well, he was hurt, and even when the staff didn't think he was hurt, HE still thought he was hurt," indicating that they thought Mitchell might have been sandbagging at times. I asked how they could possibly know that.

Then, one older guy turned around and started talking to me with all the patience of a dad teaching obvious truths to his idiot toddler with a thick, dripping Georgia accent: "Look," he said, "you'll find out soon, but we're talking about the SEC here, it's not for everybody. Especially not at Georgia. This ain't 7-on-7."

"These are practices, with Coach Smart, these are practices where .. we talk about it all the time: bent facemasks, broken noses, black eyes. It ain't for everybody."

Holy cow, the SEC has characters of all shapes, sizes, ages, personalities and, notably, accents that we're going to get to know and love moving forward.

(From Suchomel)

Copperas Cove offensive lineman Michael Uini remains a priority target for Texas (and most other programs in the country). The big fellas was on the UT campus in late January and while he says it’s not set in stone, he’s thinking he’ll be back on campus on March 25 for the Longhorns’ second junior day. Prior to that, Uini plans to hit some campuses out east.

“Right now we are thinking of (visiting) North Carolina, Clemson, South Carolina and Georgia. But the dates aren’t set in stone right now,” Uini said of upcoming plans. “My dad is out there in North Carolina for work. It will just make sense to see those schools while I’m out there.”

Uini continues to take things day by day. He says he doesn’t really have a schedule on when he’d like to commit, but knows his timeline could be moved up because he’s considering graduating early.

“After spring break, I am thinking of maybe having a top five,” Uini said.

And what are the chances, as things currently stand, that Texas makes the cut?

“Right now, all I know is UT is definitely in there,” Uini said.

The 6-8, 275-pound Uini says it’s a combination of factors that has Texas in a good spot in his recruitment. In fact, he said there’s literally nothing to dislike about UT.

“Everything (stands out), of course, but also the rebuilding that coach Sark is trying to do,” Uini said. “The relationship me and coach (Kyle) Flood have is amazing. There’s nothing like it.”

With Texas joining the SEC in what would be Uini’s freshman season, it’s another positive selling point.

“I feel like it’s a big deal,” Uini said. “It’s more competition, more fans, more recognition.”

I mentioned in my report earlier in the week that multiple sources had indicated that Texas has surged into the lead for IMG Academy running back Jerrick Gibson. One person close to Gibson said he literally admitted this week that the Longhorns had the inside track.

“Honestly, I think Texas is the leader right now. He kind of told on himself the other day,” the source said. “Texas separates, honestly, when it comes down to it, it’s coach Choice. Then I would say Tennessee is second.”

I thought it was very interesting that one of the elements that really seems to be helping Texas in this race is Tashard Choice’s history at the running back position compared to some of the other RB coaches that are recruiting Gibson. Choice has not only built a strong bond with Gibson, he played the position at the highest of levels, whereas some of the other coaches involved never really played the position or have limited experience coaching the position.

“One of them really is not even a running backs coach. That’s the separation,” the source said, noting that Jerrick was teaching the coach things in one of their meetings. With Choice, he and Jerrick can sit down and bounce ideas off each other and they’re perfectly in synch.

Gibson was in Austin in January, he’ll be back for the Orange-White game and then he’ll take his UT official visit in June. On his most recent visit, I’m told Texas knocked it out of the park in all areas.

“Every spot (Jerrick) went to, they gave him really detailed things that were going on. The weight room, told him when you first get to Texas, that’s the first place you’re coming to. Then his relationship with coach Choice got even stronger.”

There is still a round of official visits that will go a long way in this one, but you have to really like Texas’ position with the Rivals100 runner right now.

@Cole Patterson did a good job of highlighting a few guys that UT fans should know in the wake of the decommitment of Jaden Allen, but one more name to file away … current Texas wide receiver commitment Hunter Moddon.

The Clear Lake product is a two-way player in high school and a lot of college coaches have talked to him about the possibility of playing on defense. That includes LSU, which got Moddon on campus for a visit in late January.

Moddon told me this week that he hasn’t yet connected yet with new Texas wide receivers coach Chris Jackson, and he’s understandably anxious to get to know Jackson personally. He’s planning to come back to UT’s junior day on March 25 and said he’ll probably talk to the Texas defensive backs coach on that trip as well. In fact, Moddon told us he actually prefers to play defensive back over wide receiver, but said he’ll continue to work at both.

A quick update on wide receiver Gatlin Bair, who might be the first recruit I’ve ever contacted out of the state of Idaho.

The four-star receiver, who picked up a recent UT offer, has upcoming visits planned with Boise State and Nebraska.

From there, he’ll look to set up official visits and he’d like to have a decision sometime later in the summer. A Texas visit is a possibility.

“I don’t have anything planned 100 percent but I’m going to try to get down there at some point,” Bair said.

Bair caught 73 passes for 1,073 yards with 18 touchdowns in his junior season. He’ll be an All-American Bowl participant and has recorded a 10.46 100M time.

North Shore cornerback Devin Sanchez is one of the top players in the country in the 2025 class. He ranked No. 2 on Ketch’s first installment of the 2025 LSR this week and checks in at No. 13 on the Rivals100.

Sanchez has been a regular visitor to the Forty Acres over the last year, including a stop for UT’s junior day in January. Unfortunately for Texas, he won’t be able to make it for the March junior day as he has plans to be at OU that day. He’ll also be at TCU this weekend. Sanchez did tell me this week that he’ll be back in Austin soon, likely for a UT spring practice or the Orange-White game.

I’ll have more from the elite defender over the weekend.

(Cole)

Texas lost a commitment from four-star cornerback Jaden Allen last weekend. The decision came less than two months after Allen spoke about wanting to help the Longhorns win big.

Alabama put an offer on the table for Allen in January after Nick Saban went by Aledo. Since then, other major programs have also offered. Allen even visited Tuscaloosa to learn more about the Crimson Tide.

Despite family connections to Texas with his older brother BJ Allen currently playing for the Longhorns, the 2024 athlete felt it was best to take a step back and re-open his recruitment.

“I wasn’t 100% sure I wanted to go there,” said Allen. “Everyone thought I wanted to go (to Texas). I wanted to check out all my options moving forward.”

In addition to Alabama, USC and LSU are two other programs in the mix for Allen. There’s a long way to go until signing day, so perhaps Texas gets back into the picture, especially if BJ Allen sees an increased role in the fall.

Kobe Black is one of the top targets for the Longhorns in the 2024 class. That became even more the case after Allen decommitted. The four-star out of Waco Connally has been a regular visitor to Texas and the Longhorns are squarely in the mix.

Terry Joseph has been leading the charge for the Longhorns in this recruitment. The secondary coach and four-star prospect have developed a connection on the trail that has caught Black’s eye.

“I love their program and what they’re building,” Black said. “Their future is bright.”

Texas will be battling it out with the likes of Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, and LSU among others. As of now, I like where the Longhorns sit in the pecking order entering an important spring.

Payton Pierce has long been a Texas target at linebacker. He and linebackers coach Jeff Choate have hit it off in a big way, and that relationship continues to have the Longhorns in contention for the four-star defender.

He was on campus most recently in January and noted that there’s a chance he finds his way back down to the 40 Acres this month or at least sometime this spring. He is set to check out LSU this weekend.

As for competition, Ohio State, Oklahoma, and Texas A&M pose legit threats to Texas in this recruitment. With that said, the Longhorns remain in the mix. He is still figuring out where he wants to officially visit but did note that he would like to have a commitment out of the way this summer.

Jalen Lott is an underclassman that you need to know about. A Texas legacy, Lott is the son of former Longhorns corner and track standout James Lott.

The Lovejoy athlete already holds a host of early offers, highlighted by Baylor. He’s set to visit Notre Dame this spring and could see his stock really take off in camp settings. Lott performs on the track and basketball court in addition to the football field.

I am working on a full story on Lott. But it’s evident that those around the Lovejoy program - from coaches to players - are very high on what he brings to the table. LSU signee Kyle Parker actually told me that he believes Lott will end up being the best to come out of the program in quite some time.

Attachments

• 1677808865494.png
    1677808865494.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 7,895
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.