ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts and Analysis: Texas Baseball Alumni Game ends in a 4-4 tie

AaronLittleOB

Gold Member
Feb 11, 2022
The Texas "Varsity" team took on the Alumni in a game that ultimately ended in a 4-4 tie after 9 innings. While this is just a glorified scrimmage, there is certainly a lot to monitor with opening day less than two weeks away. Here are my takeaways from the game.

Today’s outing from Charlie Hurley is about what fans should expect. He was around the zone, mixed his pitches, and ate a few innings. He fell behind in the count more than you would like for someone with his arsenal. His ability to throw any pitch in any count will be very important. 3 IP, 1 ER, 2 H, 2 K, 2 BB

It wasn’t as pretty as the stat line may reflect, but it was a very solid day for Zane Morehouse. The mid-90s fastball was overpowering at times and the slider was unhittable at times. Overall efficiency and command weren’t there but he made big pitches when he needed to and made some great hitters look foolish. The breakout season hype train keeps rolling. 4 IP, 1 ER, 2 H, 6 K, 1 BB

An error from David Hamilton leading to the first run of the game was not something I saw coming.

Good execution from Mitchell Daly to drive in the runner from third with one out. Have to execute in those situations this season with less raw power on the team.

Skyler Messinger was the best defender on the field. Man does Jalin Flores have some big shoes to fill defensively.

Not a sharp day for Lucas Gordon but I will remind everyone that Pete Hansen struggled in this game last year. I liked the look of Gordon’s new slider and think it will be an upgrade from his old curveball. 3 IP, 3 ER, 5 H, 3 K, 2 BB

Dylan Campbell, Jack O’Dowd, and Jared Thomas stood out at the plate. A lot of confident swings that were on time. It really feels like Dylan Campbell is going to have a monster year.

Duke Ellis, of all people, launched the only homer of the day.

The Lebarron Johnson Jr. experience will be a wild ride this year. He’ll dominate at times and there will be moments when he completely loses the zone. At various points, he could factor as a mid-week starter, a weekend starter, a closer, or a regular reliever. It’s all on the table, but the stuff (upper-90s FB) remains undeniably excellent.

Ivan Melendez said that the Dbacks have him taking a majority of his reps at 3B. He can easily flip back to first if that doesn’t work out so it makes sense to see what he looks like at third.

Porter Brown, Eric Kennedy, and Dylan Campbell looked great in the outfield. Good communication and some nice plays going back on balls in the gap.

Heston Tole and Cody Howard looked sharp out of the bullpen. It was Howard who got the ball with the game tied in the 9th, he figures to be a late-inning option for David Pierce to start the season.

Texas opens the season in Arlington on February 17th against Arkansas.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News