ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Utah?

HornsRuleU

Dec 5, 2005
Texas
I've only seen them play once... watched most of their win over Colorado.

Frankly, they didn't impress me that much. #5? That seems WAY too high.

Am I missing something?

They played a lot of lop-sided games. Lop-sided wins, I mean. So that's in their favor.

I guess we'll see how they do against Oregon, and in their bowl game(s). But I don't think they deserve to be in the playoff.

One of the best defensive lines in the country. Really talented RB, QB who is pretty good and make some plays. Defense has NFL ready dudes at every level. Their defense will make it difficult for whoever they play. Offense is good, but depth is an issue. They lost their RB in the USC game and got beat because the next guy up isn't near the same level of player that the starter is, the starter goes to the NFL next year and is a starter.

Very good defense. Their issue right now is that they don’t have the resume to get into the playoff over the winner of OU/Baylor.

And they should be given just as much consideration as the Baylor/OU winner. Utah is no slouch. They would give both of those teams all that they can handle.
I agree, but at the end of the day, they will have one win over a top 25 opponent all year, IF they beat Oregon

I've only seen them play once... watched most of their win over Colorado.

Frankly, they didn't impress me that much. #5? That seems WAY too high.

Am I missing something?
They are a decent team that has had a good year but put them in the payoff and they are in way over their heads..!!

They have a great senior class as well as a good defense. But even if they beat OR I don't think they'll beat out the OK/Baylor winner it isn't complicated.

I saw them play in person against Arizona . . . I go down every year for a UA game with a UA buddy. They looked very disciplined, don't make stupid mistakes, defense was better than offense . . . lots of guys making plays for them. They would probably beat Texas by 7 or more.

Reactions: 4MNChampsHorn
Very very good defense.

I think a tough defense, like the little brother that tries hard and sometimes make a stop. I get it, they win the conference championship game and they are in. The downfall of losing a game, which leaves a team open to interpretation.

I saw them play in person against Arizona . . . I go down every year for a UA game with a UA buddy. They looked very disciplined, don't make stupid mistakes, defense was better than offense . . . lots of guys making plays for them. They would probably beat Texas by 7 or more.
dont know if you threw that out there for any specific reason or if it was just completely rando but now we get the chance to find out how prophetic you are. i'm going with 30-13 utah

dont know if you threw that out there for any specific reason or if it was just completely rando but now we get the chance to find out how prophetic you are. i'm going with 30-13 utah
I don't see an unmotivated Utah showing up. These guys show up to bowls ready to play. Would you believe me if I told you that Kyle Whittingham is 11-2 as the head coach in bowl games? That's the mark of a well prepared team. Whittingham is going to to have 3+ weeks to break down our offense and I promise you, it won't take him 3 days to do so. Our defense is a crap shoot because we SHOULD have MOST of our guys healthy. We haven't been healthy as team since LSU so that film is going to get broken down a thousand times. It's also going to be spliced up into snippets to serve as motivation to the Uses players. "Look here boys, they're giving playoff favorite LSU all they can handle. Better come ready to play!"
So from a film room standpoint--- I give the edge to Utah.
Offensively they are way out ahead of us. They average 10.7 yards per PASS-- not completion, mind you-- per pass attempt. We have the 120th ranked pass defense (or some such). Couple that with the fact that only one QB in all of college football has a better efficiency and completion % than the Utah QB, and we've already faced that guy--- Joe Burrow went 31/39 for 471 yards and 4 TDS. If the Utah Qb comes even close to that, we are toast.
The Utah QB has been sacked a few times this year. 19 to be exact. So we've got a shot at putting him on the ground. But if we lose contain, all bets are off. Sam on the other hand has been sacked 32 times, so there's that.
utah also has a 1350 yd rusher in Moss who is averaging a whopping 6.2 yards per carry average. If you look at Moss's splits, he starts off hot. Over 500 of his rushing yards come in the first quarter. He slowly Peters out as the game goes on with declining numbers in each quarter that follows. So if we can keep him from getting rolling early on, we've got a shot. If he gets rolling early, again, we are toast.
Their TE is their best receiver. I know, right? He's got 31 grabs all year so he leads in grabs and yards. Efficient. That's the only way to describe their passing game. Damn efficient. They don't appear to have any true burners at WR but they do have a big play kid named Thompson who averages 26.6 yards per grab. Problem is the little peckerhead has only 17 catches all year. He's 6-2 so he's not a small guy.
Their Kicker hasn't missed an extra point all year and is 9-12 with his FGs. So they've got that going for them.

On defense it's al about stopping two dudes. They've got a work horse at end named Anae who has 12.5 sacks. He will sack Sam. Write it down in stone. Dude has a motor and will get to Sam at least once. the other guy is their LB named Lloyd. Dude is speed freak. He is 6'3 and 240 and can run like a jack rabbit. He's got 85 tackles and 5.5 sacks. Dude stuck a fork in an INT earlier in the year and housed it 64 yards later. Dude's got skates.

The few games of theirs I actually saw this year showed me that they believe in gang tackling. Party at the pile. First dude stands you up and the rest pile on. They've forced 10 funble this year and recovered 8. So if your dumb ass drops the rock, there's an 80% chance that they crumb snatch it.

All I got for now. But it ain't looking great for the good guys.

Uh, no. There is no prophetic content here for the Alamo Bowl. Zero. From me, anyway.

I was just surprised to see the Utes └┘ ranked #5. That was ahead of #12 Alabama (10-2), #6 OU (11-1), #7 Baylor (11-1). They'd just beaten Colorado badly, but it's CU, and they didn't look like a top 5 team in that game.

Texas was 7-5 at the time, and unranked. Notre Dame was our most likely bowl opponent. So I had no idea that we'd be playing the Utes.

I don't see an unmotivated Utah showing up. These guys show up to bowls ready to play. Would you believe me if I told you that Kyle Whittingham is 11-2 as the head coach in bowl games? That's the mark of a well prepared team. Whittingham is going to to have 3+ weeks to break down our offense and I promise you, it won't take him 3 days to do so. Our defense is a crap shoot because we SHOULD have MOST of our guys healthy. We haven't been healthy as team since LSU so that film is going to get broken down a thousand times. It's also going to be spliced up into snippets to serve as motivation to the Uses players. "Look here boys, they're giving playoff favorite LSU all they can handle. Better come ready to play!"
So from a film room standpoint--- I give the edge to Utah.
Offensively they are way out ahead of us. They average 10.7 yards per PASS-- not completion, mind you-- per pass attempt. We have the 120th ranked pass defense (or some such). Couple that with the fact that only one QB in all of college football has a better efficiency and completion % than the Utah QB, and we've already faced that guy--- Joe Burrow went 31/39 for 471 yards and 4 TDS. If the Utah Qb comes even close to that, we are toast.
The Utah QB has been sacked a few times this year. 19 to be exact. So we've got a shot at putting him on the ground. But if we lose contain, all bets are off. Sam on the other hand has been sacked 32 times, so there's that.
utah also has a 1350 yd rusher in Moss who is averaging a whopping 6.2 yards per carry average. If you look at Moss's splits, he starts off hot. Over 500 of his rushing yards come in the first quarter. He slowly Peters out as the game goes on with declining numbers in each quarter that follows. So if we can keep him from getting rolling early on, we've got a shot. If he gets rolling early, again, we are toast.
Their TE is their best receiver. I know, right? He's got 31 grabs all year so he leads in grabs and yards. Efficient. That's the only way to describe their passing game. Damn efficient. They don't appear to have any true burners at WR but they do have a big play kid named Thompson who averages 26.6 yards per grab. Problem is the little peckerhead has only 17 catches all year. He's 6-2 so he's not a small guy.
Their Kicker hasn't missed an extra point all year and is 9-12 with his FGs. So they've got that going for them.

On defense it's al about stopping two dudes. They've got a work horse at end named Anae who has 12.5 sacks. He will sack Sam. Write it down in stone. Dude has a motor and will get to Sam at least once. the other guy is their LB named Lloyd. Dude is speed freak. He is 6'3 and 240 and can run like a jack rabbit. He's got 85 tackles and 5.5 sacks. Dude stuck a fork in an INT earlier in the year and housed it 64 yards later. Dude's got skates.

The few games of theirs I actually saw this year showed me that they believe in gang tackling. Party at the pile. First dude stands you up and the rest pile on. They've forced 10 funble this year and recovered 8. So if your dumb ass drops the rock, there's an 80% chance that they crumb snatch it.

All I got for now. But it ain't looking great for the good guys.
I enjoyed your take but the reality is that UTAH is not as good as Georgia was last year. If we listen to several of you there is no reason to play them. The game is a winnable game with the right game plan and high level execution..

I enjoyed your take but the reality is that UTAH is not as good as Georgia was last year. If we listen to several of you there is no reason to play them. The game is a winnable game with the right game plan and high level execution..
I honestly don't know if we are as good a team as we were last year either. We've played on game where we truly balled out and that was in a game to a very raw LSU team. They hadn't gelled yet as a unit and have gotten better every week of the season. You can see their progression. We're we to play LSU now, I think they beat us like a sub-rented mule. We just haven't progressed as a team. Utah is coming off a stinging defeat at the hands of Oregon, and Whittingham has a pretty bad ass track record in bowl games. This in no way is going to be easy.

Reactions: LonghornMM
I question how motivated Texas is going to be for the Alamo bowl game. My guess it that we'll see the same team that played Baylor show up. Utah, on the other hand, will be fired up to come to the great state of Texas, and they will be fired up to play The University of Texas. If Texas wins, I'll be very surprised.

I question how motivated Texas is going to be for the Alamo bowl game. My guess it that we'll see the same team that played Baylor show up. Utah, on the other hand, will be fired up to come to the great state of Texas, and they will be fired up to play The University of Texas. If Texas wins, I'll be very surprised.
We need to pay the waitresses on the river walk to roofie the Utah players. Only chance we have.

Good god, if that happens we'll get our arses handed to us wrapped in a christmas bow!
:(

Maybe direct Utah to have their pregame meal at Mi Tierra....between the ropes of garland and the mariachis, the Utes might come out confused by their signals and sluggish from the endless chips and queso...

Reactions: outhereincali
Maybe direct Utah to have their pregame meal at Mi Tierra....between the ropes of garland and the mariachis, the Utes might come out confused by their signals and sluggish from the endless chips and queso...
Dude--- if they do go eat at Mi Tierra, I can totally pull off the roofie plot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT