ADVERTISEMENT

Through My Eyes

clob94

Aug 25, 2014
Gentlemen,

I'm sorry about the delay---- Had a minor ankle rolling incident over the weekend and after an MRI it was determined I had two bone chips in my ankle that needed to be removed. So I'm on the gimp for a couple of weeks, but this recovery time has given me a few days to think hard about this upcoming season and what I think we end up looking like.

Mind you--- there are several factors we must weigh in that in previous years (because we were so terrible) weren't necessary. To recap-- if you all remember, in 2014 I objected to Patterson and Strong being hired and declared us a 6-6 team. And we were---- then an embarrassing bowl loss to arkysaw put a crappy end on the season. The following year I told you we were a 5-7 team... and we were. in 2016 I told you again we were a 5-7 team AT BEST. Last year I predicted 6-7 wins. IF------ and this is a MAN SIZED IF----- we stay healthy, we are a 9 win team. And by healthy I mean, we can;t afford to lose Sam, any OL, any LBs, or any DL. Period. Couple this with our schedule not being as difficult as it was last year. USC no longer has their 1st round QB. Ok State lost it's best QB ever (statistically speaking) and two 1000 yd WRs. OU lost it's heisman QB--- and 1st pick of the draft (I told you MM). K state is ho hum. Ryan Gosling is coaching for his job at west texas aggy. Baylol is back at doormat status. TCU isn't better--- but still dangerous. The only teams on our schedule that have seriously improved are WVU and Iowa st.

QBs---- Shane can throw down field. Shane can rip off a rope to a streaking WR for 25 yards and put it right on the money. Turn shane 90 degrees to the right or left and he simply can't make that out route throw to the sidelines of the exact same distance. It makes no sense. Shane is also not mobile--- he lacks confidence at times and has poor body language when things get tough. (Looking at his toes frequently with shoulders slumped). Sam is wreckless, strong, can't throw well, but he has toughness and creates another threat with his feet that will guarantee the safety has to play up. You will see chingoles of RPO (run pass option) plays called. Sam just can't sling it accurately and so keeping the running threat real will help us out in the passing game.
Sam MUST stay healthy......

RBs-- In my mind it's Watson or bust. He moves like a smaller Hodges mitchell. He's shifty, quick, and can slice. He also has really soft hands. Look for him to be the recipient of screen passes and dump offs. He had a little hitch in his walk from favoring the knee, but when he runs, you don't see it. He was also wearing a brace so that could have contributed to it...... I think he'll get used to the brace/wrap. If he gets 25 touches a game, we could be in business. Ingram and Young (I get their numbers mixed up because I'm freaking old) have some work to do but can contribute-- if one of them can learn to hang onto the ball (forget which one it is).

WRs--- We are so deep there it's silly. 84, 6 and 9 are the best of the lot. (Quick side note---- we have multiple players with the same jersey numbers and it seems to be WRs and DBs doing this) #1 is a nonfactor. I saw multiple sets and motion pre-snap on several plays. 84 can catch pretty well. He can jump like a freaking gazelle. 6 is a good possession WR. He's got speed but not blazing blazing speed. We've got talent---- the trick is getting them the ball.

TE--- I didn't see much out of this group. In fact, I don't know if I saw one catch a pass. Maybe it was an off day.

OL---- Guess what? We ain't bad. The Rice kid is more of a right tackle IMHO, but he seemed to look at home. 77 needs a haircut and needs to get a little lower at times but again, OL and DL are the toughest to judge because everybody tries to stay high during practice to avoid injury. Here's the rub--- pass rush drills between OL and DL--- there's a HUGE drop off between our 1's and 2's on the OL. We don't have much, if any, depth. These guys can't get hurt or the season is in jeopardy. Next to Sam..... this is the most dangerous position for injury we have.

DL---- 44 and 90 are our best players by far. 44 kills me because he so freaking inconsistent. One play he's castle, the next he's outhouse. I wish I woud have seen more of a four man front, because I think that would help both Hager and Ominihu but we were running a hybrid 3-4 with an extra safety disguised as a LB. Don't look for us to stack up anybody on goal line. If it comes down to a goal line stand, our LBs are going to have to make a play. We just don't have much a$$ in the middle of the line. Last year 90 was high during his rush. This year he's learning to keep his a$$ up and his head down during his get off and his first three steps are impressive. BOTH these dudes should be able to have double digit sacks this year. If they do that-- watch the fvck out!

LBs---- With Malik gone, there's an obvious talent gap--- as talented as Malik was-- he never reached his full potential because he relied too much on his speed and athleticism oftentimes running himself right out of a play and having to double back. 32 and 23 (freaking memory and numbers if I'm wrong) are freaking huge. They look like DEs out there. 45 is no chump either. 33 and 45 are our plow horses. Being able to stop the run game will come down to these two cats--- in my opinion. It's weird because we don't have the individual talent we had last year-- or the speed, but we seem to be collectively--- better.

DBs--- To a man, 6 of my friends that were former player--- 4 of them being DBs and two of those 4 started as freshman--- all said that Foster was most likely to start as a freshman. None of them had Sterns---- but based on what I saw and what others that I trust (and played the position) have seen--- that kid is fvcking NAILS. One guy compared him to Chris Carter who started as a freshman in 93 and I would argue was one of the most cerebral players we've ever had at safety. That is this kid. He talented as fvck, smart as hell and I never saw him yelling at the corners and having miscommunications. You guys remember a couple of years ago I watched practice and watched GD Dylan Haynes yelling at our left corner only to have the corner get burned on a deep route down the sideline on our left side? I warned everybody that this would be a problem and lo and behold in the first half Haynes starts yelling and waving at the corner and notre dame goes dep down the defenses left sidelines and burns us for a 60 yard TD..... just like we got burned in practice--- carbon freaking copy.
I'm not seeing any of that sh!t now. We are yoked at DB. I mean we are loaded. Everyone of those dudes looks like they came off an assembly line. They are all the same height, build, speed--- like cookie cutters------ but really good cookie cutters. If our DBs can replicate what I have seen--- week in and week out--- and if 44 and 90 can crank up their motor-- we should have SEVERAL coverage sacks this season. This is by far the most talented area of our team. If we were this talented and deep at every position-- just mail us the trophy. This is the most talented unit Texas has had in over a decade. Period.

P/K--- I don't give a sh!t about kickers until they miss field goals---- you've got one job bro. Now our punter--- that cat is a trip. I watch him grab one that I swear went into low earth orbit. Then I saw him shank one off the side of his foot that was in danger of ending up on I-35. He's got a hell of a strong leg--- he just needs to work on his aim.

We aren't as individually talented as we were last year. You don't an OL guy that is starting for the cowboys, a LB that will see plenty of playing time for the Bengals, and a DB drafted by Baltimore (even though he was a fvck up) and expect to be more talented on an individual level. We aren't..... BUT----- this team appears to be greater than the sum of it's parts. They look like an actual team-- not a bunch of individuals. I'm optimistic. For the first time in a long while, I feel good about the product.

Prediction---

I've thought alot about this--- more so than in previous years and with previous predictions-- everybody knows you need a bounce or two to go your way to win a title. If we stay healthy and get a bounce or two--- we are a 9-3 team. However-- the likelihood of us staying healthy all year is so slim--- nobody can predict injuries so understand please--- my prediction is coming with the feeling that we won't be able to stay injury free. With that-- I think we end up 8-4 with Shane having to start a couple games and an OL injury at some point. CAVEAT---- if we stay healthy-- 9-3--- if not 8-4 and a trip to the Alamo bowl to play stanford.

That is all.

Thanks! Hope the ankle heals up soon.

Looks like I’m sticking with my 8-4 prediction. We appear to have irreversibly pissed off the minor deity in charge of football injuries, so I’m assuming we’ll still get f*cked on that front until I see otherwise. The over-under looks like 7.5 wins (pre-bowl) to me.

Surprise me in a good way for once, mofos!

Reactions: Metcalf #2
Gentlemen,

I'm sorry about the delay---- Had a minor ankle rolling incident over the weekend and after an MRI it was determined I had two bone chips in my ankle that needed to be removed. So I'm on the gimp for a couple of weeks, but this recovery time has given me a few days to think hard about this upcoming season and what I think we end up looking like.

Mind you--- there are several factors we must weigh in that in previous years (because we were so terrible) weren't necessary. To recap-- if you all remember, in 2014 I objected to Patterson and Strong being hired and declared us a 6-6 team. And we were---- then an embarrassing bowl loss to arkysaw put a crappy end on the season. The following year I told you we were a 5-7 team... and we were. in 2016 I told you again we were a 5-7 team AT BEST. Last year I predicted 6-7 wins. IF------ and this is a MAN SIZED IF----- we stay healthy, we are a 9 win team. And by healthy I mean, we can;t afford to lose Sam, any OL, any LBs, or any DL. Period. Couple this with our schedule not being as difficult as it was last year. USC no longer has their 1st round QB. Ok State lost it's best QB ever (statistically speaking) and two 1000 yd WRs. OU lost it's heisman QB--- and 1st pick of the draft (I told you MM). K state is ho hum. Ryan Gosling is coaching for his job at west texas aggy. Baylol is back at doormat status. TCU isn't better--- but still dangerous. The only teams on our schedule that have seriously improved are WVU and Iowa st.

QBs---- Shane can throw down field. Shane can rip off a rope to a streaking WR for 25 yards and put it right on the money. Turn shane 90 degrees to the right or left and he simply can't make that out route throw to the sidelines of the exact same distance. It makes no sense. Shane is also not mobile--- he lacks confidence at times and has poor body language when things get tough. (Looking at his toes frequently with shoulders slumped). Sam is wreckless, strong, can't throw well, but he has toughness and creates another threat with his feet that will guarantee the safety has to play up. You will see chingoles of RPO (run pass option) plays called. Sam just can't sling it accurately and so keeping the running threat real will help us out in the passing game.
Sam MUST stay healthy......

RBs-- In my mind it's Watson or bust. He moves like a smaller Hodges mitchell. He's shifty, quick, and can slice. He also has really soft hands. Look for him to be the recipient of screen passes and dump offs. He had a little hitch in his walk from favoring the knee, but when he runs, you don't see it. He was also wearing a brace so that could have contributed to it...... I think he'll get used to the brace/wrap. If he gets 25 touches a game, we could be in business. Ingram and Young (I get their numbers mixed up because I'm freaking old) have some work to do but can contribute-- if one of them can learn to hang onto the ball (forget which one it is).

WRs--- We are so deep there it's silly. 84, 6 and 9 are the best of the lot. (Quick side note---- we have multiple players with the same jersey numbers and it seems to be WRs and DBs doing this) #1 is a nonfactor. I saw multiple sets and motion pre-snap on several plays. 84 can catch pretty well. He can jump like a freaking gazelle. 6 is a good possession WR. He's got speed but not blazing blazing speed. We've got talent---- the trick is getting them the ball.

TE--- I didn't see much out of this group. In fact, I don't know if I saw one catch a pass. Maybe it was an off day.

OL---- Guess what? We ain't bad. The Rice kid is more of a right tackle IMHO, but he seemed to look at home. 77 needs a haircut and needs to get a little lower at times but again, OL and DL are the toughest to judge because everybody tries to stay high during practice to avoid injury. Here's the rub--- pass rush drills between OL and DL--- there's a HUGE drop off between our 1's and 2's on the OL. We don't have much, if any, depth. These guys can't get hurt or the season is in jeopardy. Next to Sam..... this is the most dangerous position for injury we have.

DL---- 44 and 90 are our best players by far. 44 kills me because he so freaking inconsistent. One play he's castle, the next he's outhouse. I wish I woud have seen more of a four man front, because I think that would help both Hager and Ominihu but we were running a hybrid 3-4 with an extra safety disguised as a LB. Don't look for us to stack up anybody on goal line. If it comes down to a goal line stand, our LBs are going to have to make a play. We just don't have much a$$ in the middle of the line. Last year 90 was high during his rush. This year he's learning to keep his a$$ up and his head down during his get off and his first three steps are impressive. BOTH these dudes should be able to have double digit sacks this year. If they do that-- watch the fvck out!

LBs---- With Malik gone, there's an obvious talent gap--- as talented as Malik was-- he never reached his full potential because he relied too much on his speed and athleticism oftentimes running himself right out of a play and having to double back. 32 and 23 (freaking memory and numbers if I'm wrong) are freaking huge. They look like DEs out there. 45 is no chump either. 33 and 45 are our plow horses. Being able to stop the run game will come down to these two cats--- in my opinion. It's weird because we don't have the individual talent we had last year-- or the speed, but we seem to be collectively--- better.

DBs--- To a man, 6 of my friends that were former player--- 4 of them being DBs and two of those 4 started as freshman--- all said that Foster was most likely to start as a freshman. None of them had Sterns---- but based on what I saw and what others that I trust (and played the position) have seen--- that kid is fvcking NAILS. One guy compared him to Chris Carter who started as a freshman in 93 and I would argue was one of the most cerebral players we've ever had at safety. That is this kid. He talented as fvck, smart as hell and I never saw him yelling at the corners and having miscommunications. You guys remember a couple of years ago I watched practice and watched GD Dylan Haynes yelling at our left corner only to have the corner get burned on a deep route down the sideline on our left side? I warned everybody that this would be a problem and lo and behold in the first half Haynes starts yelling and waving at the corner and notre dame goes dep down the defenses left sidelines and burns us for a 60 yard TD..... just like we got burned in practice--- carbon freaking copy.
I'm not seeing any of that sh!t now. We are yoked at DB. I mean we are loaded. Everyone of those dudes looks like they came off an assembly line. They are all the same height, build, speed--- like cookie cutters------ but really good cookie cutters. If our DBs can replicate what I have seen--- week in and week out--- and if 44 and 90 can crank up their motor-- we should have SEVERAL coverage sacks this season. This is by far the most talented area of our team. If we were this talented and deep at every position-- just mail us the trophy. This is the most talented unit Texas has had in over a decade. Period.

P/K--- I don't give a sh!t about kickers until they miss field goals---- you've got one job bro. Now our punter--- that cat is a trip. I watch him grab one that I swear went into low earth orbit. Then I saw him shank one off the side of his foot that was in danger of ending up on I-35. He's got a hell of a strong leg--- he just needs to work on his aim.

We aren't as individually talented as we were last year. You don't an OL guy that is starting for the cowboys, a LB that will see plenty of playing time for the Bengals, and a DB drafted by Baltimore (even though he was a fvck up) and expect to be more talented on an individual level. We aren't..... BUT----- this team appears to be greater than the sum of it's parts. They look like an actual team-- not a bunch of individuals. I'm optimistic. For the first time in a long while, I feel good about the product.

Prediction---

I've thought alot about this--- more so than in previous years and with previous predictions-- everybody knows you need a bounce or two to go your way to win a title. If we stay healthy and get a bounce or two--- we are a 9-3 team. However-- the likelihood of us staying healthy all year is so slim--- nobody can predict injuries so understand please--- my prediction is coming with the feeling that we won't be able to stay injury free. With that-- I think we end up 8-4 with Shane having to start a couple games and an OL injury at some point. CAVEAT---- if we stay healthy-- 9-3--- if not 8-4 and a trip to the Alamo bowl to play stanford.

That is all.

A+

8 wins and a bowl victory is a fun season... 9 is a blast compared to the recent past.

The nails defensive backfield will keep the lid on opposing teams while we grind them on the O.

Ankle bone chips - let me guess.. been rolled up a few times?

8 wins = top 10 class
9= top 5

Last edited:
Thanks! Hope the ankle heals up soon.

Looks like I’m sticking with my 8-4 prediction. We appear to have irreversibly pissed off the minor deity in charge of football injuries, so I’m assuming we’ll still get f*cked on that front until I see otherwise. The over-under looks like 7.5 wins (pre-bowl) to me.

Surprise me in a good way for once, mofos!

No worries BBR, I'm on it. I've ordered some live chickens, and summoned Jobu. Jobu stop injuries.

Thanks clob. Even though I pretty much already knew it, I'm even more pumped about Sterns and our D now.

Btw, I'm proud you still use the acronym I assigned to the worst safety ever. Just, use the full acronym. GDDH is fine. I don't need to see his name. I puked a little.

To me the key is to stop the dumb$hit. I know we’ll have turnovers and bad plays from time to time, but can they please not come in overtime or when the game is on the line.

Reactions: oldhorn2
.....hard to type as kool aide drunk as that post made me. To see Clob say for the first time he feels good about the product.....oh my!

Lou Holtz used to say the secondary was the most important part of the defense. Gonna be hard waiting for tomorrow...

Reactions: Metcalf #2
Thank you, Clob, for your analysis. I know you would probably just do that naturally, but thank you for all of the work that you put into it. You painted a very informative picture, and one that I will enjoy watching as it develops, while hoping we get all of the good bounces. Hook 'em!

Reactions: clob94
You will see UN CHINGO DE RPO (run pass option) plays called.
FIFY :)

I agree on Hager. I love the dude, but, I just don't think he is as great as the hype nor will he be an NFL player (I hope to eat crow on that statement).

Good to about Watson. I still really like Daniel Young. He wasn't necessarily what I consider a power runner, but, he did a great job running north/south. Even when certain plays went sideways, he was good a finding a crease and slashing north. I expect very good things from him. We will see.

Many thanks for the write up, @clob94 .

What's all this 9/3 sh*t?

I say 12/0 and in the Big XII title game.

Then we're 13/0 and a playoff game in the Cotton Bowl. Might as well ring it up

14/0 and in the title game out here in Santa Clara and we'll play a Pac XII team for all the marbles.

ESPN Gameday is in such a state of shock that it's a Pac XII/Big XII matchup that they can't attend the game due to mental health reasons.

And ESPN being the shameless front runners they are fires the whole Gameday crew. Mack Brown gets promoted and is named Gameday's lead analyst. Former SC qb Matt Leinart moves from Fox Sports to Gameday. Gameday says they will name more former Pac XII/Big XII players/coaches to fill out the new Gameday lineup next summer. One of the openings is offered to Bob Stoops provided he loses 60 pounds and promises to say nice things about Chris Petersen.

Afterwards
Kirk Herbstreit's wife tired of his infidelities sues for divorce and gets 90% of his assets. Kirk Herbstreit becomes the college fb expert at the ABC affiliate in Spokane. Lee Corso goes to a retirement home in Florida and amuses his new friends with his Bevo mask. David Pollack and Desmond Howard become high school coaches but say they're good paying jobs. Rece Davis lives on unemployment checks. Now that Alabama is no longer winning nc's nobody cares what Paul Finebaum thinks and he has to back to his call in show. Chris Fowler becomes a tour guide at Hoover Dam.

Ok back to the real world. But hey that stash my neighbor sold me was some really powerful sh*t. Man I was on a roll lol

14/0 and in the title game out here in Santa Clara and we'll play a Pac XII team for all the marbles.

ESPN Gameday is in such a state of shock that it's a Pac XII/Big XII matchup that they can't attend the game due to mental health reasons.

And ESPN being the shameless front runners they are fires the whole Gameday crew. Mack Brown gets promoted and is named Gameday's lead analyst. Former SC qb Matt Leinart moves from Fox Sports to Gameday. Gameday says they will name more former Pac XII/Big XII players/coaches to fill out the new Gameday lineup next summer. One of the openings is offered to Bob Stoops provided he loses 60 pounds and promises to say nice things about Chris Petersen.

Afterwards
Kirk Herbstreit's wife tired of his infidelities sues for divorce and gets 90% of his assets. Kirk Herbstreit becomes the college fb expert at the ABC affiliate in Spokane. Lee Corso goes to a retirement home in Florida and amuses his new friends with his Bevo mask. David Pollack and Desmond Howard become high school coaches but say they're good paying jobs. Rece Davis lives on unemployment checks. Now that Alabama is no longer winning nc's nobody cares what Paul Finebaum thinks and he has to back to his call in show. Chris Fowler becomes a tour guide at Hoover Dam.

Ok back to the real world. But hey that stash my neighbor sold me was some really powerful sh*t. Man I was on a roll lol

Did 12375CAT stop by after her visit to Humboldt County?

giphy.gif

Woke up from my vicoden coma and saw this post. Top fvcking marks to you sir.

Afterwards

What I don't understand about the Evil Empire, is why you don't have the best QB in the league. Like almost every year.

Both the kids you have now are giving it everything they've got, I don't doubt that. And they're not horrible.

But as the flagship school of the state with maybe the best football talent in the world, you should have prototypical 6' 4" Tom Brady types who throw laser beams, or slick RG III type run-pass option guys that give opposing DCs really bad nightmares. Maybe not every year, but pretty much.

I mean it's great, but I don't understand it.

Reactions: HornDrummer
What I don't understand about the Evil Empire, is why you don't have the best QB in the league. Like almost every year.

Both the kids you have now are giving it everything they've got, I don't doubt that. And they're not horrible.

But as the flagship school of the state with maybe the best football talent in the world, you should have prototypical 6' 4" Tom Brady types who throw laser beams, or slick RG III type run-pass option guys that give opposing DCs really bad nightmares. Maybe not every year, but pretty much.

Mack Brown.

Reactions: FlourBluffHorn

Tom has immediately upgraded our QB recruiting 1000%

Wait a minute bro....... I has confuse..... fort Bragg is in north carolina...... not california..... are you high?

Hey clob94 there is a Fort Bragg, CA right next to Mendocino. And it's a beautiful little town right there on the Pacific.

For those of you who are geographically challenged, as @outhereincali indicates, there is a Fort Bragg California. It's nowhere near the interstate and right on the northern coast. Beautiful country but not the kind of beaches that attract a lot of bikinis. Rugged coast. It is widely known on the Left Coast as the hub of the thriving "Humboldt Homegrown" trade.

And thanks for taking the time for the comprehensive write up @clob94 . I hope you heal up quickly....

To me the key is to stop the dumb$hit. I know we’ll have turnovers and bad plays from time to time, but can they please not come in overtime or when the game is on the line.

I guess this hasn’t gotten any better.

Shanked punts- check
Turnovers at the end of the game- check
Stupid penalties- check
Stupid play calling- check
Wtf personnel rotation- check

I just can’t see how we can be so incompetent at the basics

I guess this hasn’t gotten any better.

Shanked punts- check
Turnovers at the end of the game- check
Stupid penalties- check
Stupid play calling- check
Wtf personnel rotation- check

I just can’t see how we can be so incompetent at the basics

The substitutions had me thinking they were playing pee wee flag football rules, everyone gets a certain amount of snaps. It’s hard for guys to get in a groove when you keep subbing. Ingram looks good, pull him. Young gets hot, pull him. Why in the hell would Porter even be in the game?

Reactions: BringBackRoyal
The substitutions had me thinking they were playing pee wee flag football rules, everyone gets a certain amount of snaps. It’s hard for guys to get in a groove when you keep subbing. Ingram looks good, pull him. Young gets hot, pull him. Why in the hell would Porter even be in the game?

I wish I knew the answer...

Gratuitous thread bump because we stayed healthy, and because clob's still got it. :cool:

Yes, you called 9 - 3. Nice work. I pegged 8-4 and we almost got there today. Excellent season and the depth is building. Onwards and upwards.

Gratuitous thread bump because we stayed healthy, and because clob's still got it. :cool:
Yeah yeah broken clock rule....

Seriously though, you were pretty damn close with your analysis. Something that went against your grain was the TE play. Plenty of room for improvement but Beck has bailed us out of countless jams. It's been sooo nice to have some semblance of true te play again.

Going forward, we HAVE to put together some sort of power running for short yardage. Yeah, I know the FB position is all but dead but Jesus we need to resurrect it asap.

Agreed but in my defense, the two visits I made I really didn't see the TE doing anything. I don't know if I showed up on TE day off.... or they just weren't running plays to the TE that day.... but 9-3 and we stayed healthy... so... 5 years in a row now? I think I should retire after this season. I can't get 6 in a row.

Yeah yeah broken clock rule....

Seriously though, you were pretty damn close with your analysis. Something that went against your grain was the TE play. Plenty of room for improvement but Beck has bailed us out of countless jams. It's been sooo nice to have some semblance of true te play again.

Going forward, we HAVE to put together some sort of power running for short yardage. Yeah, I know the FB position is all but dead but Jesus we need to resurrect it asap.

I missed this post at the time getting my oldest installed in college.

To summarize your analysis and the year, we are a 1 deep team at most positions.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT