ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Herman BIg 12 presser

When the thread started talking about vertical leaps they didn't say why Coach Herman said it. It was in reference to Yancy McKnight and the work he has done in the last.year. He said he is the best s&c coach in the country. After 16 years of Jeff Madden and Pat Moorer I welcome the change. For all intents and purposes we were relatively injury free last year especially the defense.

He also talked about the new ol coach and that the staff is intact from last year. Why am I the only one on here who talks about how important this is I'm not that smart. If you think this isn't a big deal try telling that to the 4th and 5th year players on the team and hey will laugh in your face if you say otherwise.
Oh I agree....all some have to do is actually pay attention what that was in reference to instead of coming up with their own reason and looking stupid.

I would rather have honesty in the Bohls question than the standard BS about how EVERYONE is great and we will win the Conference Championship because (fill in the blank) is the best he has ever seen.

I'm okay with his answer.

And for some reason, I didn't hear the lead up to the question by Bohls. I had it on at the office and was focusing more on his answers than on the questions.

So basically bohls asked him a "are you still beating your wife" question and Tommy had to pause to think about the catch 22 answer.....

Yes kirk's biggest fan is kirk. He was that way 25 years ago when I first met him.

I watched Tom's whole presser, here's my take:

I don't think the workout measures or the Bohls talent question were out of line. He started off praising everything positive to possibly praise from first bowl win in years, to facilities, to coaches (including naming Orlando as the best DC in all of college football and McKnight as the best SC coach in all of college football). Then he specifically stated the team focus this year has been "development and finish"....

Naturally he next described development that they have seen in the testing numbers....He is taking over a program that had been 5-7 for three straight years. He has to sell and promote the program and create positive momentum for the fan base, the media and for recruiting. The numbers were just one of the many positives he went through including an after graduation career building program he said was the best in the country. He has no hesitation to intensely promote the program and the school and I like that.

The Bohls question:

I think Herman is usually very calculated in his responses. Instead of just popping off a quick coach-speak answer to a tough question he will take his time. It was a damned if you do, damned if you don't question. Kirk led with stating to Tom how many All American's OU had last year (4) and how many AA's Texas had last year (1-punter) then asked how many elite, championship level talents Tom has this coming year. He set Tom up against his chief rival, his own players, the fan-base, and creating expectations to fail to live up to. After, yes a very long pause, he finished up the question fine in my opinion without putting his foot in his mouth in a worse way....which was Kirk Bohl's hopes and intentions.

Also of note, he praised Poona Ford as only one of three truly elite nose tackles he's ever been around including Casey Hampton and Ed Oliver. After he went on about how disruptive Poona is and the effect on the D without a mention of Malik, Hill, or Elliot I got a little nervous about our DL and overall defense.

So you guys still think you got the "hot" new coach last year, huh? Not that OU is sure to win in the RRS. Never is an easy game. But I like the coaching matchup. See you in 12 weeks in Big D.

So you guys still think you got the "hot" new coach last year, huh? Not that OU is sure to win in the RRS. Never is an easy game. But I like the coaching matchup. See you in 12 weeks in Big D.

Really? Talent wise, you guys should've blown us away last year. The fact that you barely escaped with a win means Herman won the coaching matchup. Tom Herman's shaky true freshman almost stole the show from Riley's Heisman winner.

Stay over confident. This is gonna be fun.

Really? Talent wise, you guys should've blown us away last year. The fact that you barely escaped with a win means Herman won the coaching matchup. Tom Herman's shaky true freshman almost stole the show from Riley's Heisman winner.

Yeah, no kidding. Riley is still unknown as a head coach. He walked into an extremely fortunate and unusual scenario with the way Stoops retired, and only has one season as a head coach under his belt. He also choked away the Georgia game with his play calling.

Reactions: Metcalf #2
I’m glad Oklahoma has Riley. I guess you guys feel the same about Herman.
Who cares it’ll shake out in the end. You know now you have to play the same team twice to win the big 12. Riley dissected the TCU defense the second time last year. Let’s see if Tom puts his reputation on the line calling plays?

I kinda think Riley might look like a deer in headlights quite often this season. BM is a pissant and needs an a**whipping, but it turns out he’s a pretty decent little football player. Ou depended on his playmaking for 3 years solid and it’ll show right out the gate this September.

Don't kid yourself.... Riley has tons of talent on offense. All he needs is a kid that can deliver the football in a competent way.

I kinda think Riley might look like a deer in headlights quite often this season. BM is a pissant and needs an a**whipping, but it turns out he’s a pretty decent little football player. Ou depended on his playmaking for 3 years solid and it’ll show right out the gate this September.

It more means that a rivalry game often goes beyond the talent of the two teams. OU was clearly the better team and had the better season, and losing wouldn't have changed that. Glad they didnt lose though. OU is clearly the better team in 2018 too, but it doesn't mean you walk in to dallas without a victory without 100% effort.

That was all Texas needed in 2010 and we thought we had it. Just sayin......

QB was the only thing they really lost last year they dont have coming back this year. They return their top 2 wrs, all the rbs, and most of the line. You could win with just about anyone behind all that. I'm willing to bet the 2009 texas team lost more than the 2017 OU team did and most certainly had less coming back. Should be a fun season!

Yeah, no kidding. Riley is still unknown as a head coach. He walked into an extremely fortunate and unusual scenario with the way Stoops retired, and only has one season as a head coach under his belt. He also choked away the Georgia game with his play calling.

He's more than an unknown. He's in his 4th year at OU, so they know him quite well, what he's all about, his style and how he does things. He was an OC for a while before being at OU so he's gotten quite a bit of experience being a leader. And one thing that's indisputable is that he's a hell of a recruiter and that is the lifeblood of any program. Just how well Ou did last year after losing what they lost and the offense not missing a beat, and all the good decisions he did make to get them to teh big game oveshadows the rookie mistakes he did make and hopefully learned from.

Heisenberg doesn't do well if you are skeptical about anything OU. Everyone there is the greatest and everyone coming is the greatest...and it's the bestest dog gone place in the history of ever!
Yeah he already knows that OU is “clearly” better than Texas in 2018 before anyone has stepped on the field.

Heisenberg doesn't do well if you are skeptical about anything OU. Everyone there is the greatest and everyone coming is the greatest...and it's the bestest dog gone place in the history of ever!

That doesnt make sense at all. What's wrong with having skepticism? Incorrect, everyone there is not the greatest, and everyone coming is not the greatest. It's not the bestest dog gone place in the history of ever at at all. Appreciate your enthusiasm but its not well placed.

Yeah he already knows that OU is “clearly” better than Texas in 2018 before anyone has stepped on the field.

Well, duh. texas has no offense and barely any prospects of it getting better this year. Multiple people who have seen them have said as much. Even your own head coach barely has a thing to say bout elite talent on his team. But if you think texas is better this year lets have ourselves a wager. You wanna lose $20 ? I bet me on the RRR game in dallas. Bet OU wins and its by more than a possession.

That doesnt make sense at all. What's wrong with having skepticism? Incorrect, everyone there is not the greatest, and everyone coming is not the greatest. It's not the bestest dog gone place in the history of ever at at all. Appreciate your enthusiasm but its not well placed.

Well, duh. texas has no offense and barely any prospects of it getting better this year. Multiple people who have seen them have said as much. Even your own head coach barely has a thing to say bout elite talent on his team. But if you think texas is better this year lets have ourselves a wager. You wanna lose $20 ? I bet me on the RRR game in dallas. Bet OU wins and its by more than a possession.

Heisenberg, that was hyperbole :D

There's room on the bandwagon for fair weather fans. Come aboard, bring your sister. We like sisters.

Riiiigt. I still don't get why ANYONE in their right mind would actually choose to be a Sooner fan on purpose. OU - land thieves, liars, cheaters, wife beaters, outlaws, trailer trash and low IQ's. Barf! :confused:

LOL. In all honesty my brother is a big OU fan...that is enough for our family.

So at least someone in the family had a good year. See, that's a good bet to hedge.

Riiiigt. I still don't get why ANYONE in their right mind would actually choose to be a Sooner fan on purpose. OU - land thieves, liars, cheaters, wife beaters, outlaws, trailer trash and low IQ's. Barf! :confused:

Guess that's just how you see it. Try being a California kid who just moved to oklahoma. Soak in that for a minute. No friends, not a lot to do on a saturday, just a football fan who never liked college ball. It's 1994, OU sucks, but they are on every saturday like clockwork and they're the home team so i figure okay i'll watch them. Dont remember much of that first season, only that i watched the games and thought about how bad they were. I mean I"m a 49er fan, spoiled fan, they were kings in the early 90s, and I disliked barry switzer. I didnt even know he coached at OU, that's how out of it I was. So 97 rolls around. And i'm solidly an OU fan, they are the only team I watch on saturdays, I really didnt care about CFB much, my team sucked and i didnt care about the others anyway. Then syracuse came to town. Mcnabb, big time program, big game. Down by 1, a last second field goal to win it. It was balls. I was hooked after that, really hooked, on college football. I didnt even care that we lost to Nebraska 69-7. Because we scored on them and it was so much better than a shutout. But I was hooked and it's when I started to hate texas. Losing a close in in 97, the ass whipping in 98 and 99 I loved to hate texas. It sure made 2000 feel really, like the first time you put your weiner in a girl kind of good. It felt like home.

So that's how a person in his right mind chooses OU on purpose. It's pretty nice actually on my side. We fans earned our stripes in the early 90s like the fans of texas have been for a long time now. Hard to believe OU's years of irrelevance was more short lived than this slump texas is in. Most of that low IQ trailer trash stuff is just fans of one school using propaganda and attributing the less desirable characteristics a human can have to the fans of their opposing fan base. It's an age old tactic, the north koreans have been doing it for a long time!

So lemme get this straight, you moved from San Francisco to Oklahoma?

So........ it was cheaper to move the anal bead factory to Oklahoma and ship the merch back?

So at least someone in the family had a good year. See, that's a good bet to hedge.

Guess that's just how you see it. Try being a California kid who just moved to oklahoma. Soak in that for a minute. No friends, not a lot to do on a saturday, just a football fan who never liked college ball. It's 1994, OU sucks, but they are on every saturday like clockwork and they're the home team so i figure okay i'll watch them. Dont remember much of that first season, only that i watched the games and thought about how bad they were. I mean I"m a 49er fan, spoiled fan, they were kings in the early 90s, and I disliked barry switzer. I didnt even know he coached at OU, that's how out of it I was. So 97 rolls around. And i'm solidly an OU fan, they are the only team I watch on saturdays, I really didnt care about CFB much, my team sucked and i didnt care about the others anyway. Then syracuse came to town. Mcnabb, big time program, big game. Down by 1, a last second field goal to win it. It was balls. I was hooked after that, really hooked, on college football. I didnt even care that we lost to Nebraska 69-7. Because we scored on them and it was so much better than a shutout. But I was hooked and it's when I started to hate texas. Losing a close in in 97, the ass whipping in 98 and 99 I loved to hate texas. It sure made 2000 feel really, like the first time you put your weiner in a girl kind of good. It felt like home.

So that's how a person in his right mind chooses OU on purpose. It's pretty nice actually on my side. We fans earned our stripes in the early 90s like the fans of texas have been for a long time now. Hard to believe OU's years of irrelevance was more short lived than this slump texas is in. Most of that low IQ trailer trash stuff is just fans of one school using propaganda and attributing the less desirable characteristics a human can have to the fans of their opposing fan base. It's an age old tactic, the north koreans have been doing it for a long time!

Baker was tremendously efficient for sure, but the offense will not be the problem. Defense has to take major strides in order to compete for another championship. Offense is actually quite stacked, talent wise. WR's, RB's, TE, Oline, all should be very very good. Murray at QB will not be as efficient passing the ball as BM was (at least I doubt he will) but the kid brings the added run-threat dimension to this offense which was rarely respected from the QB spot during Baker's time. Read options will look a bit different with a 4.3 scat back behind center.....and....he can throw it a little too. Should be fun.

speaking of QB's....how has Corky looked this summer??

Reactions: Heisennberg
Run him. Please dear God in the name of all things holy, run him.

I will literally pay Riley money to run him.

Baker was tremendously efficient for sure, but the offense will not be the problem. Defense has to take major strides in order to compete for another championship. Offense is actually quite stacked, talent wise. WR's, RB's, TE, Oline, all should be very very good. Murray at QB will not be as efficient passing the ball as BM was (at least I doubt he will) but the kid brings the added run-threat dimension to this offense which was rarely respected from the QB spot during Baker's time. Read options will look a bit different with a 4.3 scat back behind center.....and....he can throw it a little too. Should be fun.

Reactions: HornDrummer
So lemme get this straight, you moved from San Francisco to Oklahoma?

So........ it was cheaper to move the anal bead factory to Oklahoma and ship the merch back?

I didnt live in San Francisco.

And I dont know anything about anal bead factories. But if they interest you so, you can always use google!

Run him. Please dear God in the name of all things holy, run him.

I will literally pay Riley money to run him.

He's going to run. So you will get your dream or whatever. But you have to catch him in order to hurt him. But it seems weird you hope so badly for him to get hurt.

Amazon ships faster.

Yes, I will readily admit I want him to run because I do want him to get hurt.

Not INJURED, but hurt.

Injuries require surgery. Hurt requires more heart.

I didnt live in San Francisco.

And I dont know anything about anal bead factories. But if they interest you so, you can always use google!

He's going to run. So you will get your dream or whatever. But you have to catch him in order to hurt him. But it seems weird you hope so badly for him to get hurt.

Well let’s talk about that big lumbering QB. I counted about 3 concussions last year for him. He still played he had so much heart. His mothered cheered while ESPN was pumping him for a Heisman. Big slow equals big collisions. Play call QB left or right between the tackles brilliant call by ?

Amazon ships faster.

Yes, I will readily admit I want him to run because I do want him to get hurt.

Not INJURED, but hurt.

Injuries require surgery. Hurt requires more heart.

And I think it's weird to hope for someone to get hurt.

Well let’s talk about that big lumbering QB. I counted about 3 concussions last year for him. He still played he had so much heart. His mothered cheered while ESPN was pumping him for a Heisman. Big slow equals big collisions. Play call QB left or right between the tackles brilliant call by ?

I liked how Ehlinger got concussed by an OU player, and he came right back out the next drive and throws the ball away on 4th down to basically end the game. We need more of that.

"I think it's weird to hope someone gets hurt"

also

"I like how Ehlinger got concussed...we need more of that"

Are you saying you're weird then Heisenberg?

No, the part I liked is the decision making of your coach to put someone out there who is prone to doing something bone-headed after being rocked. We need more of his Aces decision making at pivotal moments in the game

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT