ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Herman BIg 12 presser

clob94

Aug 25, 2014
Well................... that was awkward.

Having our coach brag about how many dudes we have with a 30 inch vertical jump, listing off how many dudes can powerclean over 300... how many dudes squat over 500..... and then asking if we had any "elite" players, and Tommy gets this look of a kid who just got asked by his mom if he's cleaned his room and taken out the trash yet........ not the best of looks for coach.

One of my buddy's had a good quote:

"So we've got a bunch of guys that look like Tarzan and play like Jane?"

Press conferences are not Herman’s strong suit. He says awkward stuff, tries to be all secretive and it comes off just weird. He tries way to hard.

Reactions: Heisennberg
I guess we'll see.

I'm hoping for 8 wins and a bowl win to make it 9.

What do you honestly see clob?
Meh...... spring ball is always a weird measuring stick. What I got in the spring practices/game isn't usually indicative of what our finished product will be. Let me take in a few two a days and i'll get back to ya'll.

Reactions: weevilcatch
Clob, since you're obviously perfect and know more than any coach, why not apply for the job yourself?

Uh...... wut? (clob looks at original post and is still struck odd by why tom would talk about our gains in vertical jumping)

Clob, since you're obviously perfect and know more than any coach, why not apply for the job yourself?

I for one am grateful for the Clob - Metcalf joust during the dead period. This time of year would be boring otherwise....

Reactions: FlourBluffHorn

Get a few Good lookin girls holding his phones and a keg on the sideline , shit that man would win the Natty! He does his best to keep us informed about he gets from other player and sees during practice, if ya don't like what he says then don't feed on him....

Hook'em

Last edited:
Reactions: oldhorn2
Uh...... wut? (clob looks at original post and is still struck odd by why tom would talk about our gains in vertical jumping)

Yeah, that’s an odd thing to crow about. I think he was probably trying not to say something that would come back to bite him. I think last year he claimed the o line was the best he’s had. It didn’t work out well for him.

Yeah, that’s an odd thing to crow about. I think he was probably trying not to say something that would come back to bite him. I think last year he claimed the o line was the best he’s had. It didn’t work out well for him.

All ya have to do is watch his interviews on LH with local news guys etc and watch his one on TV today, He probably sorta lets them know what to ask here that won't make him excited and at Big 12 Day , he's got no control.Look at his eyes when you watch the one here at school and the one today.....

Hook'em

My favorite Coach that did interviews good and funny was DKR, Bun Phillips and Mike Leach, they put that country riddle on ya questions..LOL!

Hook'em

Well................... that was awkward.

Having our coach brag about how many dudes we have with a 30 inch vertical jump, listing off how many dudes can powerclean over 300... how many dudes squat over 500..... and then asking if we had any "elite" players, and Tommy gets this look of a kid who just got asked by his mom if he's cleaned his room and taken out the trash yet........ not the best of looks for coach.

One of my buddy's had a good quote:

"So we've got a bunch of guys that look like Tarzan and play like Jane?"

TH is metric driven that's all I got out of it. It was a discussion about creating better athletes being bigger, faster and stronger and speaking of summer conditioning.

That awkward silence was a very direct and pointed dismissal of Kirk Bohls' crap. It was Herman's version of Stoops' you're an idiot glare. The rest of the media ended up laughing at Bohls.

Last edited:
That awkward silence was a very direct and pointed dismissal of Kirk Bohls' crap. It was Herman's version of Stoops' you're an idiot glare. The rest of the media ended up laughing at Bohls.
Yeah, right. That was about as easy a question as Bohl's could have given. Hard to believe he couldn't come up with any names. "Some" was not a good answer.

When the thread started talking about vertical leaps they didn't say why Coach Herman said it. It was in reference to Yancy McKnight and the work he has done in the last.year. He said he is the best s&c coach in the country. After 16 years of Jeff Madden and Pat Moorer I welcome the change. For all intents and purposes we were relatively injury free last year especially the defense.

He also talked about the new ol coach and that the staff is intact from last year. Why am I the only one on here who talks about how important this is I'm not that smart. If you think this isn't a big deal try telling that to the 4th and 5th year players on the team and hey will laugh in your face if you say otherwise.

Last edited:
Yeah, right. That was about as easy a question as Bohl's could have given. Hard to believe he couldn't come up with any names. "Some" was not a good answer.

Not for you but it was a dumb question considering he's going into his 2nd season. He answered it with more being on D which we knew already.

he's got no control.Look at his eyes when you watch the one here at school and the one today.....

giphy.gif

He was stumped by the question. He says, "kind of caught me off guard..." or something to that effect. Why?? Everyone, including the coaches, know there will be questions about the potential of their team this year....including who their "stand-outs" might be. Rattling off work out numbers was rather bizarre. It's one thing it you're doing that while supporting your answer to a direct question....but to just lead with that as part of your opening statement, with no point of reference? Pretty odd. But then agin...this is from a guy who carries a baseball bat while arriving at games and wears a huge fake diamond necklace. Par for the course?

Under rated post.

It is important. But the musical chairs has been so commonplace that we've, unfortunately, sort of grown used to it.

When the thread started talking about vertical leaps they didn't say why Coach Herman said it. It was in reference to Yancy McKnight and the work he has done in the last.year. He said he is the best s&c coach in the country. After 16 years of Jeff Madden and Pat Moorer I welcome the change. For all intents and purposes we were relatively injury free last year especially the defense.

He also talked about the new ol coach and that the staff is intact from last year. Why am I the only one on here who talks about how important this is I'm not that smart. If you think this isn't a big deal try telling that to the 4th and 5th year players on the team and hey will laugh in your face if you say otherwise.

You can tell when a person is stressed and avoiding a situation by his eye action and if you look at the other interviews here at Texas with his pressers then look at this with his eyes all moving around like he was fing lost on what to say...The eyes never lie! He had more control at his presser than this one today where he had no control..., in other words he has no media skills too much

Hook'em

Hook'em

I’ve watched almost every single press conference of TH. We’ll agree to disagree.

I think the point Herman is making that his team is bigger and stronger because of the work of Yancy Mcknight and should play to a higher level of confidence come game time; so the question to me will they be coached smart.

Reactions: outhereincali
I think the point Herman is making that his team is bigger and stronger because of the work of Yancy Mcknight and should play to a higher level of confidence come game time; so the question to me will they be coached smart.
No doubt this is what he meant. All I'm saying is, let's work on our Mic and tv presence when extolling the virtues of our newly minted athletes.

I get it, being media savvy takes time, prep, and trial and error..... and maybe I'm expecting too much of our young, slightly experienced, first time power 5, multi-millionaire head coach.

But this is the Apollo...... better come with your lunch packed.

I watched Tom's whole presser, here's my take:

I don't think the workout measures or the Bohls talent question were out of line. He started off praising everything positive to possibly praise from first bowl win in years, to facilities, to coaches (including naming Orlando as the best DC in all of college football and McKnight as the best SC coach in all of college football). Then he specifically stated the team focus this year has been "development and finish"....

Naturally he next described development that they have seen in the testing numbers....He is taking over a program that had been 5-7 for three straight years. He has to sell and promote the program and create positive momentum for the fan base, the media and for recruiting. The numbers were just one of the many positives he went through including an after graduation career building program he said was the best in the country. He has no hesitation to intensely promote the program and the school and I like that.

The Bohls question:

I think Herman is usually very calculated in his responses. Instead of just popping off a quick coach-speak answer to a tough question he will take his time. It was a damned if you do, damned if you don't question. Kirk led with stating to Tom how many All American's OU had last year (4) and how many AA's Texas had last year (1-punter) then asked how many elite, championship level talents Tom has this coming year. He set Tom up against his chief rival, his own players, the fan-base, and creating expectations to fail to live up to. After, yes a very long pause, he finished up the question fine in my opinion without putting his foot in his mouth in a worse way....which was Kirk Bohl's hopes and intentions.

Also of note, he praised Poona Ford as only one of three truly elite nose tackles he's ever been around including Casey Hampton and Ed Oliver. After he went on about how disruptive Poona is and the effect on the D without a mention of Malik, Hill, or Elliot I got a little nervous about our DL and overall defense.

Reactions: HornDrummer
Herman is speaking in terms of statistics and probabilities. He is following a process. It goes like this. You have so many athletes that can jump x, lift x, etc.... the probability of winning games when x happens goes up significantly when x is accomplished.

ADVERTISEMENT