Tom Herman on preseason practice: "Much better than any place I’ve ever been"

Anwar Richardson

Staff
Apr 24, 2014
Texas football coach Tom Herman had a short press conference after Tuesday’s preseason practice, but sure said a lot in a few minutes.

Without wasting anytime time, here are the highlights from Herman’s media availability:

- Herman said running back Kirk Johnson was held out of Tuesday’s practice due to a hamstring injury. His knee appears to be fine, but Johnson’s hamstring is the latest problem. Herman is optimistic Johnson can practice on Monday, barring another setback.

- Here is what Herman said about Tuesday’s practice: “I thought today we had a lot more energy. I think maybe yesterday (we were) a little bit nervous. First practice jitters. One of those things. We challenged them to go out there and have some fun and let loose. Are we going to be a buttoned-up outfit? Absolutely, is what I told them. We’re not going to be writing messages on our wrist tape, wearing wristbands around our knees, whatever … pointing to the crowd and all that. We’re going to have fun with our teammates. What we do is too hard to not have fun and make it fun every day. I think they responded to that challenge, and I saw more smiles on their faces.

“We are practicing without pads. Just from a positivity standpoint, practicing without pads. I don’t know. You guys always like me to quantify - 10 times better than we did in the spring. Much better than any place I’ve ever been. That’s attributed to the guys buying in and going hard, but also the functional leg strength and hip strength that we have to stay up, and using our techniques and our hands. That all ties together, so, we’re going really, really hard and really fast without pads on. Everybody is staying up and staying injury free.”

- Herman praised offensive guard Patrick Vahe. He said it hard for offensive lineman to practice without pads because there is no way for them to be physical, and no areas for them to grab. However, Herman described Vahe’s summer as “great.” In addition, Vahe had a good spring, according to Herman.

- This is what Herman said about Patrick Hudson: “He is a guy that I love being around. Great kid. Hard worker. He’s a freshman. The speed of the game is still pretty fast for him, but you want to talk about a guy that looks how they’re supposed to look like, and has all the physical tools, that’s it. He’s got want-to. He’s got drive. He just has to put all the pieces together in full speed action.”

- When it comes to the battle between Denzel Okafor and Tristan Nickelson for right tackle, Herman said he is looking for consistency: “Both of them have deficiencies right now. Tristan’s is physically limited at times of how long of a guy that he is. He gets his body out of position at times, but he’s always in the right spot. Always on the right person. It's just executing at the point of attack. He’s gotten better and will continue to get better at that. Denzel is a very fluid, long, athlete. He’s got some strength and power. Much like Pat (Vahe), it’s the speed of the game, going to the right place at the right time with the right technique and putting it all together.”

- Herman said when he first arrived, safety DeShon Elliott was more concerned about being liked than leading the team, but has done a 180. He is a good leader because of his work ethic, and players respect him, according to Herman.

- Herman is unsure if Chris Brown's best role is safety or cornerback because the young man is still growing a player. However, Herman describes Brown as a physical player who will hit you and has man coverage skills. Herman believes Brown’s best position is nickelback, but said the problem is they have two very good players in front of him right now (P.J. Locke and Antwuan Davis).

- I asked Herman about linebacker Gray Johnson has looked in practice and how he fits in. Herman said: “Can really run. I think he’s sideline-to-sideline, blitz the quarterback kind of guy, and can do that. His practice endurance is not where it needs to be and that’s to be expected. He's got to put some weight on him. He’s going to continue to get some mass on him. He came to us at only 214 pounds, or something like that. He’s up in the low 220s right now. To play Will linebacker, that’s still probably a little bit light, but he’ll have a role for us because he will hit you, and he can run.”

- Herman said he does not like the recruiting dead period in August because it prevents players from visiting campus during preseason practice: “It hurts. There are so many days in the week for these kids, too. If they want to go here, go there, go here, go there, next you know it’s July 31, and you’re not going to see them for a month. I don’t like it, but it doesn’t really matter what I think.”

Last edited:

Latest posts

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.