ADVERTISEMENT

Towns in Texas and how we say'um.....

Not Texas related, but one that I've never gotten is Greenwich, CT, pronounced "gren-ich" Drives me nuts. IMO it should be "greenwich", as it's spelled.

Reactions: Belldozer1
In East Texas we have a small town named "Sacul" which is Lucas spelled backwards. I guess Mr. Lucas was hiding from someone?

Boerne but when it comes to streets Kuykendall is miss pronounced in Houston a lot.
“Kirk-en-doll” - grew up in Dallas and played ball with a stud all-around athlete whose dad coached HS ball and Hayden Fry’s kid, Zack. He ended up playing for TT and became Athletic Director in Frisco. Just retired. We just called him “Kirk”.

Anna Nichole Smith grew up in Ma-hey-a

anna-nicole-smith-1.jpg

Family came to town this past week. Born in SoCal, raised in the Carolinas, law school at Cornell. Live in NY. Took them for Q in Luling and beers in Fredericksburg and the NB.
During all this driving around I realized that my Yankee kin couldn't pronounce a single fvcking town properly. And the "Bexar County" sign reading made me damn near drive off into a ditch with laughter.

Anyway, made me start thinking of some of the towns we have in Texas and the names of those towns that only us Texans know how to pronounce.

Oh please-- go ahead. I'll start you off with my South Texas favorite--

Refugio
MEXIA pronounced My Hair Lol. How did that ever happen?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT