ADVERTISEMENT

Trump Found Guilty on ALL Counts

James Madison said...."if all men were angels, we would have no need for government"

sadly, I fear the demons got here first....

So you'd say that the more tax you pay the more your vote matters? that seems like a poor way to do things. so the typical American who makes under 70k has less of a say than the several thousand billionaires in the country. at the end of the day it sounds like you want money involved in politics, thusly giving those with the most money the most influence on who runs the country.

Seems counterintuitive to me. Can you help me understand why I might be wrong here?
Because people vote to steal, I mean, tax me for benefits that are harmful to the country. In a perfect world, we should make a budget, divide it by 330 million citizens, and send everyone their share of the bill. Instead, the top 25% of taxpayers (which is $95K per year) pay 89% of the taxes. And the other 75% claim they are not paying their fair share. 57% of US households pay NO INCOME TAX. And yet those 57% continue to vote for me to pay more while they pay nothing, resulting in a $35 trillion debt. Unfair and unsustainable. Set the number of votes based on the amount of taxes paid would solve this quickly.

I don't disagree. Nobody should ever spend $150 million dollars on a campaign for a job that pays $225,000 a year.
It's fvcking ludicrous.
Lol man we are in the billions now. we are way past 1 billion even, the 2020 election was around the 7 billion mark adjusted for inflation

Besides, if you are a popular president, people will pay you a 6 figure sum just to give a 20 minute speech. Being an ex president is incredibly lucrative. it's like printing money. unless you're trump, i havent heard that he is able to command the kind of speaking fees that other ex presidents enjoy.

Last edited:
Because people vote to steal, I mean, tax me for benefits that are harmful to the country. In a perfect world, we should make a budget, divide it by 330 million citizens, and send everyone their share of the bill. Instead, the top 25% of taxpayers (which is $95K per year) pay 89% of the taxes. And the other 75% claim they are not paying their fair share. 57% of US households pay NO INCOME TAX. And yet those 57% continue to vote for me to pay more while they pay nothing, resulting in a $35 trillion debt. Unfair and unsustainable. Set the number of votes based on the amount of taxes paid would solve this quickly.
The top tax payers should pay more, it only makes sense. we have people making hundreds of millions of dollars per year, the tax burden necessarily should be on the 1%. The same 1% owns half the wealth in the country, so it makes sense. especially since many in the 1% use their substantial wealth to skirt taxes and as a percentage of their total income, often pay less than those in the middle class. which means nothing to them, many of these folks, they make more in a day than the average american does in a month.

But thats all besides the point. the pinot is that your tax burden has nothing to do with the value of your vote. all of our votes are equal regardless. we all have a stake in the outcome of our country that we are citizens of. This is why now allow women, blacks, and people who dont own land to vote.

You'll never be able to convince me that rich folks vote should matter more than the average joe six pack. But, then again, I am a populist.

Besides, rich folks already have more influence in our elections. they can afford to donate to candidates who will consider their positions on issues when it comes time to make/execute laws that benefit their donors.

I don't disagree. Nobody should ever spend $150 million dollars on a campaign for a job that pays $225,000 a year.
It's fvcking ludicrous.
You're funny with your $225k number.

The FJB machine's income is way beyond that. Just look at FJB's brother, son, or any family member.
Oh wait, we can't go there. The laptop was part of a Russian disinformation campaign. We are so ****ed.

You're funny with your $225k number.

The FJB machine's income is way beyond that. Just look at FJB's brother, son, or any family member.
Oh wait, we can't go there. The laptop was part of a Russian disinformation campaign. We are so ****ed.
I was referring to senators and congressmen.

Consumption / national sales tax. Keep all your money until you spend it. Spend it, pay taxes on the purchases. If someone busts their ass and makes a boat load of money and wants to have a bunch of cool stuff, thru pay more taxes. The more you spend, the more taxes you pay.
Or by a flat tax. Everyone pays 15%. Either option plugs all the loopholes and pretty much eliminates the need for the IRS.
That’s why neither on will ever happen.

H.L. Hunt wrote a book about this idea! "Alpaca" !

Reactions: diadevic
The top tax payers should pay more, it only makes sense. we have people making hundreds of millions of dollars per year, the tax burden necessarily should be on the 1%. The same 1% owns half the wealth in the country, so it makes sense. especially since many in the 1% use their substantial wealth to skirt taxes and as a percentage of their total income, often pay less than those in the middle class. which means nothing to them, many of these folks, they make more in a day than the average american does in a month.

But thats all besides the point. the pinot is that your tax burden has nothing to do with the value of your vote. all of our votes are equal regardless. we all have a stake in the outcome of our country that we are citizens of. This is why now allow women, blacks, and people who dont own land to vote.

You'll never be able to convince me that rich folks vote should matter more than the average joe six pack. But, then again, I am a populist.

Besides, rich folks already have more influence in our elections. they can afford to donate to candidates who will consider their positions on issues when it comes time to make/execute laws that benefit their donors.

Dr. James Mirrlees won the Nobel Prize in economics for his work on taxation. An ardent Labour supporter, he hoped to tax more in order to redistribute more. He found, to his dismay, that marginal tax rates over 25% or so are actually counterproductive: because they discourage the most productive among us from further efforts, thus reducing GDP. Work was done in 1971, prize awarded in 1996.

Dr. James Mirrlees won the Nobel Prize in economics for his work on taxation. An ardent Labour supporter, he hoped to tax more in order to redistribute more. He found, to his dismay, that marginal tax rates over 25% or so are actually counterproductive: because they discourage the most productive among us from further efforts, thus reducing GDP. Work was done in 1971, prize awarded in 1996.
Doesnt really address what I said regarding the necessary tax burden of the top 1% of earners. But thanks for sharing anyway, your efforts should be acknowledged.

Consumption / national sales tax. Keep all your money until you spend it. Spend it, pay taxes on the purchases. If someone busts their ass and makes a boat load of money and wants to have a bunch of cool stuff, thru pay more taxes. The more you spend, the more taxes you pay.
Or by a flat tax. Everyone pays 15%. Either option plugs all the loopholes and pretty much eliminates the need for the IRS.
This I can get behind. If it were up to me, i would eliminate income tax in it's entirety and go to a pure consumption tax. I would even make allowances for people under a certain income level to get a refund on some of the consumption taxes paid.

The lowest tax on basic necessities like groceries and utility bills. Higher tax rate on everything else, and the highest rates on luxury items. Cant avoid tax if it's levied at the point of sale! You want a $200 million yacht or fancy jet? Okay, 40% consumption tax. you have a 2nd home? prepare for a nice tax.

Of course that doesnt mean the mega rich dont buy their luxury items in other countries with little or no sales tax. so we'd have to figure that one out.

Do both... Flat tax at 5-10% to make sure everybody has skin in the game. You vote to increase taxes, you get a little hit too. Sales tax on purchases will take care of rest.

To be clear - my vote per tax dollar paid was said tongue in cheek. However - I take issue with your statement that "it only makes sense" that the tax burden necessarily should be on the 1%. Why? to paraphrase @outhereincali - dyk that only 16% of millionaires inherited at least $100K? In other words, over 80% of millionaires are first generation millionaires. Why? Because they worked their butt off, saved, and invested wisely. We used to applaud and encourage that type of behavior. And now they should be punished? Do you know how hard it is to save up a million dollars with the current federal income tax rate, social security taxes, medicare taxes, property taxes, sales taxes, toll roads, hotel occupancy taxes, gasoline taxes, alcohol taxes, etc.? And after somehow managing the navigate these roadblocks put up by the government, you emerge on the other side accused of using the hard earned wealth to "skirt taxes", paying less than the middle class, and not paying your fair share. Insult after insult.

“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years. These nations have progressed through this sequence: From bondage to spiritual faith; From spiritual faith to great courage; From courage to liberty; From liberty to abundance; From abundance to selfishness; From selfishness to apathy; From apathy to dependence; From dependence back into bondage.”

To be clear - my vote per tax dollar paid was said tongue in cheek. However - I take issue with your statement that "it only makes sense" that the tax burden necessarily should be on the 1%. Why? to paraphrase @outhereincali - dyk that only 16% of millionaires inherited at least $100K? In other words, over 80% of millionaires are first generation millionaires. Why? Because they worked their butt off, saved, and invested wisely. We used to applaud and encourage that type of behavior. And now they should be punished? Do you know how hard it is to save up a million dollars with the current federal income tax rate, social security taxes, medicare taxes, property taxes, sales taxes, toll roads, hotel occupancy taxes, gasoline taxes, alcohol taxes, etc.? And after somehow managing the navigate these roadblocks put up by the government, you emerge on the other side accused of using the hard earned wealth to "skirt taxes", paying less than the middle class, and not paying your fair share. Insult after insult.

“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years. These nations have progressed through this sequence: From bondage to spiritual faith; From spiritual faith to great courage; From courage to liberty; From liberty to abundance; From abundance to selfishness; From selfishness to apathy; From apathy to dependence; From dependence back into bondage.”
I already explained why it only makes sense that the tax burden should be on the 1%. By that i mean a majority of it, not necessarily all of it. if you want to debate this point by point, then do so and i will oblige.

And there's a reason why pretty much every government on earth operates this way, in a progressive tax structure where the wealthy pay more. Sometimes when something makes sense, people in many different countries with different ideologies will agree. This is one of those things.

Paying taxes doesnt mean you're being punished. It's not a punitive measure, it's a fair measure because the country has bills to pay. I already explained why the rich should pay more than the middle class, and the poor, so no reason to keep repeating myself. I also explained how the rich often use tax loopholes to pay a low effective tax rate compared to the average middle class taxpayer. It's not an insult to make these observations. they take advantage of the law that allows them to do it. i dont blame them.

BUT, I just dont feel bad for the plight of people who live the 1% lifestyle, especially while we both know that the heavy tax burden of those in the 1% still live like kings in spite of it. It doesnt change their lifestyles or ability to earn. a guy making 100 million in a year paying 40 million of it in income tax still has 60 million. boo hoo. sucks to be that guy. So no i cant empathize with how hard it is to save a million dollars. I'm just a regular guy who is trying to make it. Because I too deal with all the same taxes in my day to day life. i see the deductions taken from my paycheck. I feel every dollar that goes missing.

Did I say that? That doesn't make any sense. I was probably having a flashback. The 70's were good to me

Do both... Flat tax at 5-10% to make sure everybody has skin in the game. You vote to increase taxes, you get a little hit too. Sales tax on purchases will take care of rest.
Instead of an income tax, which discourages work, do a net asset tax at graduated levels according to net worth.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT