ADVERTISEMENT

UT/SUC Prediction

JasperNewton7

Feb 6, 2015
After reading a couple different threads regarding the upcoming game against SUC, thought a dedicated thread for score predictions was a good idea. Yeah yeah, I know it’s only Wednesday but I’m remembering what life was like during the summer break...:(

I try not to drink the koolaid, unless it’s a mixture of JD and koolaid then all bets are off. I thought we had really turned a metal corner after the Missouri game. However, I don’t think so. We play to the level of our opponent this game. The punter gives us no help in field position and no pass rush against Tulsa means none against better athletes at SUC. The match up turns to a frosh SUC QB against our secondary if we can stop the run early. We get a turnover or two and the game is ours. If not, we go 1-2 on the way to league play...

We get the turnovers needed: UT 14 SUC 10

After reading a couple different threads regarding the upcoming game against SUC, thought a dedicated thread for score predictions was a good idea. Yeah yeah, I know it’s only Wednesday but I’m remembering what life was like during the summer break...:(

I try not to drink the koolaid, unless it’s a mixture of JD and koolaid then all bets are off. I thought we had really turned a metal corner after the Missouri game. However, I don’t think so. We play to the level of our opponent this game. The punter gives us no help in field position and no pass rush against Tulsa means none against better athletes at SUC. The match up turns to a frosh SUC QB against our secondary if we can stop the run early. We get a turnover or two and the game is ours. If not, we go 1-2 on the way to league play...

We get the turnovers needed: UT 14 SUC 10
14-10 sounds reasonable to me. I can not imagine this game not being close and low scoring. Turnovers and a big play here and there will be the difference. If either team can run the ball, it would be huge.

Game 3 is generally when you see a spike in point production. The difference between the bad to good to great teams from game 4-12 is consistency. Great teams will sustain their offensive production. Great teams will make adjustments defensively to their strengths and minimize their weaknesses.

The SC QB has some talent and we can't put pressure on him like Stanford did. They are going to score way more than 10 points.

27 - 10 USC.

Tom Herman blames loss on the players trying to hard. Ignores the lousy UT play calling and 157 yards of total offense. Sam throws 2 pics and fumbles once.

:mad:

Loving the secondary breakout! That would be huge!

Agree. This is the game where our highly touted freshman DB’s current DB’s and Safety class shows up to play. Throw away the travel to Maryland and the hurt up of Tulsa. If we don’t show up here prepared....o_O

Reactions: HornDrummer
I have a feeling this game is going to be lopsided one way or the other. At least 2 scores.

I have a feeling this game is going to be lopsided one way or the other. At least 2 scores.
It's got all the hallmarks of a low scoring game. All of them. Two sputtering offenses. Two defenses that can step up when needed. Poop slap style play calling. Soft offensive lines...... I mean, it's possible for it to turn into a track meet....... but dayum!

Reactions: JonBinge
It's got all the hallmarks of a low scoring game. All of them. Two sputtering offenses. Two defenses that can step up when needed. Poop slap style play calling. Soft offensive lines...... I mean, it's possible for it to turn into a track meet....... but dayum!
Clemson was gonna thump aggy too. I’m just sayin, stranger things have happened.

I'm hoping a real Texas team shows up on Saturday and we get a convincing win but every time I get my hopes up about anything positive happening, my hopes go down in flames. But here goes nothin.
TX 24 USC 10

Reactions: Eagle Fang
Clemson was gonna thump aggy too. I’m just sayin, stranger things have happened.
Clemson was on their way to blowing it open with potentially going up 21-3 and then a fumble happened...turns out the so called illusion of momentum happened in the 2nd half as well...

Reactions: HornDrummer
Almost forgot that this weekend is suppose to be a huge recruiting weekend for us. I don’t really see a grey area here in the win or a loss. I think we’ve reached the point where we aren’t looking for ‘improved play in a loss’ type of mindset. If we lose, I think it’s a big loss (mindset wise) regardless of score... but it’s early and I haven’t had enough go juice this morning, so I could be completely wrong... =)roll

No you're right. It's put up or shut up time. We've been selling the future for a while now. It's time to win.

Fair or not, the frustrations of the last 8+ seasons is falling on Tom this year. UT fans are done with poor play. I'd say recruits are too.

Reactions: clob94
E.J. Holland: Why this weekend could make or break Texas on recruiting trail:

The biggest recruiting weekend of the Tom Herman era is here. Texas will take on USC in a battle of two storied programs that met for a national championship a dozen years ago. The visitors list is stacked with several elite prospects, and the atmosphere in Austin is guaranteed to be electric. While this was viewed as a monster recruiting weekend in the offseason, the importance of it has grown exponentially. Texas has struggled on the field out of the gates, and recruiting rival Texas A&M has used that, and its marquee game against Clemson to build momentum.

There is no way around it. Texas needs to win this game. The ramifications of a loss — and more losses in the next few weeks — could be extremely detrimental to the 2019 class and more so the 2020 class. It’s put up or shut up time for the Longhorns. You can’t keep selling the future. That pitch can go in trashcans around the recruiting offices at Moncrief. Recruits are tired of mild progress. They want to see results.

A win against USC would set the tone for a strong close this cycle, early momentum in 2020 and slow down what could be a dangerous storm brewing in College Station. Texas A&M gave Clemson all it could handle and walked away with a five-star recruit in 2020. It’s UT’s turn to counter and prevent another subpar year of in-state recruiting. The Longhorns are set to host 2020 targets like Prince Dorbah, Jaylon Jones, Dwight McGlothern, Bryson Washington, Darius Snow and Michael Henderson as well as national recruits Justin Rogers and Mookie Cooper.

Win and suddenly that Texas A&M-Clemson game becomes more of a memory than the hot topic of the day for underclassmen. For the 2019 class, this is a chance for Texas to gain some much-needed commitments. Four-star running back Derrian Brown and intriguing Plano East safety Tyler Owens definitely come to mind when talking potential pull the trigger candidates. It’s also an opportunity to wow key targets like Bru McCoy, Marcus Washington, Elijah Higgins and Lewis Cine and keep those like Javonne Shepherd, who is looking at A&M again, in the fold.

While things have certinaly looked bleak on the recruiting trail since the Longhorns’ black eye of a loss to Maryland in the season opener, all the negativity can be washed away this weekend. Just win, baby.

E.J. Holland: Why this weekend could make or break Texas on recruiting trail:

The biggest recruiting weekend of the Tom Herman era is here. Texas will take on USC in a battle of two storied programs that met for a national championship a dozen years ago. The visitors list is stacked with several elite prospects, and the atmosphere in Austin is guaranteed to be electric. While this was viewed as a monster recruiting weekend in the offseason, the importance of it has grown exponentially. Texas has struggled on the field out of the gates, and recruiting rival Texas A&M has used that, and its marquee game against Clemson to build momentum.

There is no way around it. Texas needs to win this game. The ramifications of a loss — and more losses in the next few weeks — could be extremely detrimental to the 2019 class and more so the 2020 class. It’s put up or shut up time for the Longhorns. You can’t keep selling the future. That pitch can go in trashcans around the recruiting offices at Moncrief. Recruits are tired of mild progress. They want to see results.

A win against USC would set the tone for a strong close this cycle, early momentum in 2020 and slow down what could be a dangerous storm brewing in College Station. Texas A&M gave Clemson all it could handle and walked away with a five-star recruit in 2020. It’s UT’s turn to counter and prevent another subpar year of in-state recruiting. The Longhorns are set to host 2020 targets like Prince Dorbah, Jaylon Jones, Dwight McGlothern, Bryson Washington, Darius Snow and Michael Henderson as well as national recruits Justin Rogers and Mookie Cooper.

Win and suddenly that Texas A&M-Clemson game becomes more of a memory than the hot topic of the day for underclassmen. For the 2019 class, this is a chance for Texas to gain some much-needed commitments. Four-star running back Derrian Brown and intriguing Plano East safety Tyler Owens definitely come to mind when talking potential pull the trigger candidates. It’s also an opportunity to wow key targets like Bru McCoy, Marcus Washington, Elijah Higgins and Lewis Cine and keep those like Javonne Shepherd, who is looking at A&M again, in the fold.

While things have certinaly looked bleak on the recruiting trail since the Longhorns’ black eye of a loss to Maryland in the season opener, all the negativity can be washed away this weekend. Just win, baby.

My highly uneducated opinion is this, if the fan base is crying about a team with 10 wins that can't win them all....then it's fan being unrealistic! Recruits see they play in big bowl games and are just a piece or two away from getting it all! When they hear the fan base yelling about we haven't hit 9 wins since the recruit was in late elementary......they really listen to that. How he has recruited so well is simply momentum of what he did elsewhere. If the ship doesn't get righted this year.....then it all goes down the drain from recruiting standpoint......

As far as a prediction, I have no idea. It's two teams fighting to not be the worst. Oh how far we have fallen.
Pulling this out of the air:
28-27 Texas

Ya, it's really crunch time. No way to white wash away the win/loss column or a recruiting class out of the top ten when we are in the best state for football talent. I hate to say this but we are veering toward a 2-4 start. I hope not but I have seen nothing outside of K. Ingram to make me think that we have any potency on offense. I still think this team finishes strong and we make it to 7-5 before the bowl but it's going to be in front of half full stadiums. TH is going to have to become a Gary Patterson in his ability to squeeze everything out of his younger players if aggy and the invading schools take the quality players from us.

Just watched Helton week interview and man the comments from the fans sound like our fans. They're not very optimistic about winning in Austin.

ADVERTISEMENT